Change of Plans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbird560

Feb 2, 2011
SW Arkansas
Had made up my mind to get the Fireview and am getting close to the order date for the $500 discount so we sat down to look at the other expenses involved in building this cabin and the cost of appliances, light fixtures, fan, sinks, cabinets, etc. and realized that the Fireview might not be
the best use of funds at this time. Extimated cost of Fireview is $2300 + 300 freight + $1000 for
Class A SS flue pipe roof cap, etc. That's $3600 of real money. Looking at other alternatives I see that the well reviewed NC-30 is $1100 or less with no freight and the $1000 for flue parts.
Big difference. Same performance? No. Would it work well for us in this warmer climate with lots of shoulder season? Probably so. Would it be smarter to start with this and take another look at the Fireview or whatever in a couple of years? I think so. Now my decision is to choose between the NC-30 and the NC-13. I'm thinking the larger firebox of the NC-30 is the way to
go and just go with smaller fires during the warmer periods. Anyway, that is the direction we are
moving.
Jbird

Stop at or call around to your local Home Depot. They are clearing out winter inventory now and may have an even better deal on one.

I recall when we went that route. Really wanted a Woodstock stove but got a cheaper one. Lived with it for many years before finally buying the Woodstock stove. If I had it to do all over again, I'd have got the Woodstock. Why? Because we would have burned only half the amount of wood and stayed a whole lot warmer plus we'd have had a beautiful stove too. But, sometimes you have to do whatever you do. Good luck.

The old rule applies.......

Buy "Winter" stuff in the summer, and "Summer" stuff in the (early) winter.......

Buy Autumn stuff and spring stuff the same way.........alternate seasons......

End of season sales are always worth keeping an eye on.

Roof Rakes are overstocked right now!!

-Soupy1957

Another option (like you need another option right now, right?) would be to get a barrel stove kit, and spend the money for the stovepipe, fans, etc., and live with that for a year or so.

You sound like you're folks with an eye on the bottom line, and$1100 is a pretty good chunk of change (at least by my way of figuring) for something temporary. I suspect that if you get something that does a pretty decent job, you'll probably always be able to find better use for the price of a Fireview, and feel torn about the wisdom of replacing your `good enough' stove. If you spend a few hundred setting up a barrel stove, you'll probably be able to sell it for that (or put it out in the garage or workshop) and not feel a twinge of regret.

If you go with a barrel stove, be sure to put sand in the bottom to keep from burning out the barrel. You can also look around for a decent looking used barrel in a color that you like. Or even paint it (Fireview folks sell high-temp spray paints in an amazing array of colors.) This will also give you serious bragging rights about how rarely you need to clean out the ashes. And you won't beat the firebox size (7 cf?). If you don't want to go with a 55 gallon barrel, some kits works w/a 30 gallon one (the dainty version of a barrel stove). Barrel stoves aren't usually quite so persnickity about what they will burn, so having one for a few years would give you time to get a head start on some seasoned wood, as well.

The following is an example of what I'm talking about if you're not familiar with barrel stoves. This particular kit didn't get very good reviews, so caveat emptor. I know there's good ones out there:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CPGVNE3QMTMJNMWR53M

Here's another one on Amazon, no reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Stove-Company...ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1297692861&sr=1-2

It's not EPA, and you'll need to check the local ordinances on this one, but if it's a Woodstock she loves, and you love her . . . well, it's Valentines Day . . . you could get a red barrel and stencil a heart on it . . . just sayin' . . .

Great idea.......but I don't think my wife would agree to have a barrel stove in our new cabin. lol. I also saw a deal where a guy had designed a stove made out of an old water heater tank that supposedly worked very well
but required some welding skills/equipment to build. Thumbs down from the wife. I think that the 13C for $650 or so is a better choice. I would guess that one in good shape used would bring $300 when I get ready to upgrade latter. $350 for two or three years of heat instead of buying propane seems like a deal to me.
Jbird

Jbird560 said:
Great idea.......but I don't think my wife would agree to have a barrel stove in our new cabin. lol. I also saw a deal where a guy had designed a stove made out of an old water heater tank that supposedly worked very well
but required some welding skills/equipment to build. Thumbs down from the wife. I think that the 13C for $650 or so is a better choice. I would guess that one in good shape used would bring $300 when I get ready to upgrade latter. $350 for two or three years of heat instead of buying propane seems like a deal to me.
Jbird

I'd agree about the math on that one--beats taking a thousand-dollar hit. And I'd agree with your wife that an old water heater tank might be a little on the funky-looking side, but I have to say in defense of barrel stoves that a well-made one can have a cutesy charm, esp. if it was a means to an end. Did you check the local CL for a good used stove?

I have and will continue to monitor Craigs List but so far all I see is old beat up box wood stoves that would scare me to have in my house.
Jay

Jbird, it seems like you are quite changeable on your choices. I'd suggest you settle on which stove you really want and quit looking so then you can start planning. In the meantime, get out there and get some wood cut.

Yep, definitely need to put this to rest and have just about settled on the NC-13. Like the price and the reports on it I have read here. Just doing some last minute checking to make sure there is not a better choice in the <$1000 range.
Good advise on getting the wood together. I may try to buy a cord or two delivered to start aging and get me started
toward next winter. Right now it is taking most of our time just doing the building ourselves. We are enjoying it as it
keeps us young. How are the shivers comming? Hope you have that resolved.
Jbird

JBird - do yourself a favor and get a real stove. If nothing else it will have re-sale value if you decide to make a change. Clearance to combustibles is gonna be crazy, plus a few other drawbacks (like wood consumption, etc.) will make you wishing for a real stove. Get the 30. It will do a bang up job of heating. You can always crack a window. If in a couple of years you find that it isn't the stove for you, you can take the $1000 stove ( - $300 tax credit) and sell the dang thing for 6-700 bucks. Just my opinion.

Edit: You posted before I finished typing. If the NC13 will do the job, then go for it.

Well, the new NC-13 is on the way and thanks to a geat forum member, I was able to order it delivered here tax, title, and license for $560. That's a great price on what many here think is a great stove. With the tax credit it will be almost free ($200 credit). Our cabin is coming along and it will have R-30 in the floor, R-22 in the walls, and R-24 in the ceiling. In this warm climate with our open floor plan the NC-13 should do great even in the coldest part of winter. Should I win the lottery and decide I can't live without the $2500 Fireview later on, I would guess that the 13 would bring at least $400 on Craigs List. At any rate, I will pay for the stove easily the
first year of not using propane. Now the challenge of putting in a supply of quality wood and learning the ins and
outs of EPA woodstoves. It will sit in our shed till the construction is complete and be ready for next fall. Spring is here in Arkansas.
Jbird

Status
Not open for further replies.