Chimney height, how important?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
I don’t really need to extend this do I? I’m thinking it’s fine
C964339B-1DB3-455A-A609-5AB19A78A882.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
You're joking, of course.

Quite a change to the house, if that's the old roofline in the chimney. :)

Yeah, from one bed one bath. Becoming 3 beds, 3 baths. Contractor going to take chimney down just past the old flashing. Says he can’t make that line pretty. I agree.
Also supposed to add another two bricks at a diagonal, it’s a small feature, hard to see but there’s one down lower on chimney. I think the house was built in the 20s. It was a little decorative feature some mason put there.

I would just demo that whole chimney and install pipe or even a veneered chase if you insist on the look.

Not a bad idea. The veneered stone always looks so nice....said no one ever!!

Reactions: Highbeam
E8449E71-43FF-4BC9-8208-B44585BEC300.jpeg
That’s more like it. It rained a lot after this was done and it was not covered. Is that streaking at the top going to go away? Or is that my crown washed down.

Maybe you need to get up there with a brush and clean it. I would ask the mason.

What's easier, building a chase around a class A chimney or building a lined masonry chimney?

View attachment 238967That’s more like it. It rained a lot after this was done and it was not covered. Is that streaking at the top going to go away? Or is that my crown washed down.
No it won't go away on its own you need to wash it with muratic acid. You also should have poured a crown instead of doing a wash.

What's easier, building a chase around a class A chimney or building a lined masonry chimney?
From scratch a chased class a will be easier but cost a bit more. Quite a bit more because this one has 2 flues. But in this case extending the exiting chimney is much easier than tearing the old one down and starting over.

Looks better today, rained a lot yesterday I’m ok with it, wife is ok with it. So I’m good
C1087847-6683-473E-8DE3-66268E0FFA80.jpeg

I know nothing about brick masonry, but are the gaps at the top of the chimney on the sides supposed to be so large? Will the mortar contract as it dries?

I said same thing about joints, it must be wider at the top, slightly. I wouldn’t boast about my superior masonry chimney, but it’s nit hideous. I have to pick my battles, I’ll see about this one.

Was that done by a professional mason?

Reactions: SpaceBus
There all skilled professionals, as I’m told. I never saw them, I saw scaffolding setup and material delivered. It’s almost like two different people! It was cold, bricks shortened a bit? I’m going to ask the reason why the gap grows with height.

There all skilled professionals, as I’m told. I never saw them, I saw scaffolding setup and material delivered. It’s almost like two different people! It was cold, bricks shortened a bit? I’m going to ask the reason why the gap grows with height.
I'm a contractor myself, usually not so picky, but that workmanship is unacceptable IMO.

So..they knocked it down, threw it in a dumpster, rebuilt on a beautiful day, such a waste

Best of all....it’s twisted! I thought I had a pic from from front but this shows it so sad. The joints are nicer
433B72FC-DE95-4BF6-8F2D-5768877B9B10.jpeg

Yes it does. I asked to hold off insulating that wall until it rained a good amount so I could see the wall was dry. I can only hope it was build back properly this time as there finished walls now.

Good for you! Are we going to see new pictures?