Chimney Pipe All The Way?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godchaser

Oct 28, 2015
WV
I'll be venturing in to joining the ranks here as a wood burner stove owner hopefully this weekend. As I'm reading everything I can find and burning up YouTube install videos to gather information, I'm still a bit confused on something. Should the double-wall, insulated chimney pipe be ran all the way from the stove top? Or should regular stove pipe be used up to cathedral ceiling and then double-wall insulated through the box support to the outside? Probably a dumb question, but some of the install guides appear to be using two different types of pipe. Thanks in advance.

You can use single or double wall black stove pipe from the stove to the support box. From the support box up should be double wall insulated Class A chimney pipe.

Is there any advantage (safety or efficiency) to using the Class A chimney pipe all the way up? I can get it at cost thru a friend who does HVAC work, but didn't know if it was worth the hassle of having to paint it. Thanks again.

Keeping the gasses hot in the flue keep creosote from forming.. It also helps keep the draft strong.

There are more benefits to double wall with a cat or hybrid stove in my opinion although others will disagree.

Is there any advantage (safety or efficiency) to using the Class A chimney pipe all the way up? I can get it at cost thru a friend who does HVAC work, but didn't know if it was worth the hassle of having to paint it. Thanks again.
Explain your setup in most cases no there is no reason to run class a the whole way and it will generally look pretty bad with the associated support brackets ect. But it can make sense in some cases.

Yeah, you can get double wall stove pipe that's not class a. Class A will look weird.
I have seen class a installed from stove collar all the way to cap - the user ended up painting the class flat black, it did look funny. If you have a cathedral ceiling with no attic space above you would not be able to use class a all the way, unless you do custom flashing while adhering to the 2" clearance from combustibles.
You can do double wall dvl from stove to a cathedral support box then class a from the support box to cap, they make plenty of kits (different brand names) stay with 1 type of brand from stove collar to chimney cap.

Personally, I'm all about double wall stove pipe from stove to support box. I've got one from Excel and its the adjustable one. Little expensive but it sure makes installation a breeze. Mine is installed in a cathedral ceiling with a temperature probe 18 inches up. IMAG1408.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.