Church bell or chime sound from my PE Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanabri

Jan 18, 2010
Iowa, USA
The PE Summit worked well in my great room this winter. It looks good, heats well, and isn't fussy. The one problem we now have is a sound similar to church bells or chimes when we walk near the stove. It lasts for only a second and is triggered by nearby movement. The stove sits on a ceramic tile hearth and has a 34' chimney. The sound seems to be coming from the EBT box, which I really don't want to remove after only one season. I've already called the installer, who needs to come out to fix the chimney (three birds in the stove since we stopped burning).

Any ideas or suggestions?

Xanabri said:
I've already called the installer, who needs to come out to fix the chimney (three birds in the stove since we stopped burning).

Any ideas or suggestions?

Birds?

Shari

I had a similar thing happen with my Summit, but the noise is more of a metallic rattling. After consulting with PE, it seems it's my flame shield vibrating. The flame shield is the thin sheet of metal that is bolted to the firebox above the baffle, and extends forward along the top of the firebox almost to the front. Try moving that a bit with your fingers. If it makes the sound you are hearing, please post here and I will reply with more of my experience.

I think the only sound I've heard from the EBT is the metallic clinking of it opening and closing as the fire changes temperature.

It's the oven timer. The buns are ready.

It could very well be the inner ceiling heat shield.
My Summit the upper outer extension vibrates at a certain temperature. And almost rings.
I added a couple washers above & below where the mounting bolts slide through the bracket on each side. Helped alot.
Still at a certain temp it will ring a lil once in a while. I just leave it as I know what temp its at when it does that.

just remember when you hear the bell that mean another angel got their wings :)

Thanks all. It seems to be the inner heat shield. There is a piece of metal, at the top of the firebox, with a small gap separating it from the steel outer shell. If I wedge a piece of wood between it and the shell, the sound stops.

Any suggestions on a more permanent repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.