Classic wood stove look

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Tee

Nov 2, 2015
Providence, RI
I had previously sought help from the folks on this forum in choosing between the Harmon XXV and the Quadrafire Mt. Vernon AE, asking specifically about reliability. At this point the relative simplicity (nothing is simple) of the XXV, compared with the more complex design and features of the Mt Vernon, suggests that the Harman is the better choice for us. I will probably pull the trigger on the XXV purchase tomorrow. A last minute question, then, if I may. Is there another stove I failed to consider that meets similar parameters of: 1. Classic wood stove look, 2. Similar price point, and 3. Considered high quality and reliable? As always, thank you for your kind advice. -Robert​

I had previously sought help from the folks on this forum in choosing between the Harmon XXV and the Quadrafire Mt. Vernon AE, asking specifically about reliability. At this point the relative simplicity (nothing is simple) of the XXV, compared with the more complex design and features of the Mt Vernon, suggests that the Harman is the better choice for us. I will probably pull the trigger on the XXV purchase tomorrow. A last minute question, then, if I may. Is there another stove I failed to consider that meets similar parameters of: 1. Classic wood stove look, 2. Similar price point, and 3. Considered high quality and reliable? As always, thank you for your kind advice. -Robert​

I'm surprised that nobody has already chimed in with "Harman".

Harman. I've been spending a lot of time on multiple forums...but have not ever used a pellet stove. I'll be installing mine tomorrow (maybe), it's a Harman. I followed the recommendations of the masses.

Harman.

But from the recommendations of the masses, don't expect stellar support from the dealer?

each harman dealer is different in how they run their business try and find a good one in your area. Harman the corp. only wants to deal with its dealers and have the dealer handle customers. Atleast that's my take on it so if you have issues with your stove HHT will refer you to your dealer, so it's important to find a good dealer. The stove itself is built to last. After comparing the competing stoves on the market it was an easy purchase for me.

Just as important as the stove you purchase is the quality of the dealer that will be there after the sale for any issues you may have. kap

Reactions: Former Farmer
Have a look at St Croix. I have a Hastings which is pictured in my profile. My stove is starting it's 6th heating season and it still runs as good as the day it was installed with all factory original parts, even the igniter.

Reactions: bogieb
Yeah, the Hastings is a great looking and great running stove. The only issue I had was that it has a small ash pan and smaller hopper that did not fit as well with my extended working hours as I would have liked. I had to empty the ash pan weekly, and in the deep of winter the hopper was running out (or had run out) by the time I got home from work. But I work long hours and in heavy snow, when traffic accidents close some roads, my 45 minute commute can get to be 2 hours. Being in RI, with milder temps, you should be okay.

It was very reliable, fairly easy to clean (except getting that top plate to stay in place after cleaning - but that is probably because I am a spaz). It also burned anything I threw at it, and I burn crap to middling pellets.

However, in the end, my vote still goes to Harman. Either the XXV or a Hastings, I don't think you can go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.