Cleaning out pacific energy summit insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

heavy hammer

Minister of Fire
Jul 18, 2015
Kirtland Ohio
i have an insert and I was wondering if I need to pull out the insert and disconect the liner to clean it once I have swept the liner or is just removing the baffel inside the insert good enough.

No need to pull the insert. The Summit has an easily removable baffle. You pull the pin out at the rear center, just under the baffle. Then lift the baffle up in the rear to clear the secondary air supply tube while moving it forward. Careful, the baffle is heavy. Once clear of the supply tube, lift up one side while moving it sideways so that it clears the support rail on the low side. Then remove the baffle. Now you have a straight shot up the liner. Before cleaning, stuff a rag in the top of the secondary air tube so that crap doesn't fall down into it. The baffle is replace reversing the procedure. You will need a gasket for the secondary air tube before you put it back in. They are about $3 or you can make your own out of 3/8" door gasket. Pay attention to the insulation on the sides of the baffle so that it seals the sides once the baffle is back in place.

@Hogwildz has an excellent post with pictures somewheres here on this topic. I'll see if I can find it.

The thin long gaskets behind the baffle do need replaced the one on the left fell apart but I was reading some of the posts you sent it seems normal. I did the baffle removal for cleaning it was very easy to clean a lot less soot than expected especially for not having perfect wood.

I see you used a 3/8 gasket what about the long thin gaskets behind the baffle? I don't think I had a gasket between the baffle and the secondary tube.

That's on the newest models, ours only has the center tube. I'm not sure what will work best for this setup. Maybe for this season just get the factory gasket?

I was going to contact chimney sweep tomorrow to see what gaskets they have or recommend for this insert. I only see the two long thin ones about an inch wide by 8 inches long behind the baffle other than that there is only the two blankets on the side of the baffle and that is it. Does that mean it is a older or newer model. Are there gaskets missing?

It could be that all you are seeing are the remains of the old gasket. It's pretty thin around the supply tube. That area turns to dust on removal. The gasket size depends on how old the Summit is. The latest is the Summit C with a thin, broad full width gasket.

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 2.23.32 PM.png

That is exactly what I need my insert is a 2014 I believe it is the c. Anyways that is what the manual showed. I figured chimney sweep would have what I need, would you double it up like some have stated or just replace one for one.

That is exactly what I need my insert is a 2014 I believe it is the c. Anyways that is what the manual showed. I figured chimney sweep would have what I need, would you double it up like some have stated or just replace one for one.
No need to double up. Waste of money, You'll be replacing 2 instead of one each year.
I made one out of ceramic fiber blanket I found online, don't think it held up more than 1 season. I'll know when I sweep this fall.

I talked with chimney sweep today they pretty much said the same thing, they are a very fragile gasket I have a call to my dealer to see what he can come up with. Chimney sweep said they do not have good luck shipping them they seem to break. I hope the dealer gets some good info.

I only see the kit listed that includes the baffle side insulation pieces. Can you buy the gasket alone? If so, how much?

At chimney sweep they sold a three pack for $21. The problem is he didn't seem interested in shipping because they were so fragile. He told me to call my dealer which I did. I have seen other places online packs of five for $26 I didn't think it would be something difficult to get ahold of, it is only a gasket.

It could be that all you are seeing are the remains of the old gasket. It's pretty thin around the supply tube. That area turns to dust on removal.
Yeah dust is right. First year for me. I quickly made up a Hogwildz - style gasket from 3/8 window gasket rope. Cheap and durable (so far)