Cleaning the smoke chamber before liner install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benchwrench

Feeling the Heat
Sep 1, 2011
State of Confusion
A sweep come out last week to clean my chimney before my insert gets installed however and as I look up into the smoke chamber I still see shiny creosote adhered to this area.

Can someone recommend a viable way to strip this blackness off the bricks that line the smoke shelf? The brick work is stepped or tapered towards the flue and this clinging tar is attached to the underside of the exposed area like steps or "shelves" that makes up the design.
I'd be willing to buy whatever needed within reason as this is a "one time" use since the next step is to reline the whole thing with a 6" liner and this area is going to be packed with Roxul.
I am curious if just a small stiff broom or whatever might work. Any ideas of a tool you guys might recommend?

Thanks again guys, looking forward to staying warm and posting pictures of the job,
Bench

thanks, for the heads up on safety.
I'll check around the hardware stores for a small steel broom or something that might fit the bill.
As it stands the FP is not going to be used until the insert gets installed as I am permanently modifying the damper to accept flex.
I just want the job to be better than it is, I know there is much more creosote that can be removed.

I do appreciate all your guys help as I glean much from this forum,
it's very valuable information for both new installs as well as maintenance.

Bench

For over twenty years I pulled my old insert and cleaned the biggest part out of the smoke chamber with a garden hoe and then used a long handled steel bristle brush on the rest.

ummm.gif
I thought that once the chimney was lined, there would be no more need to remove the insert for maintenance.

A garden hoe, for what purpose? is it to remove the debris on the smoke shelf
very-confused.gif

I might have to check around the web for steel brushes as I don't think ACE or Lowe's is going to have what I am looking for on their shelf.

Benchwrench said:
ummm.gif
I thought that once the chimney was lined, there would be no more need to remove the insert for maintenance.

very-confused.gif

I might have to check around the web for steel brushes as I don't think ACE or Lowe's is going to have what I am looking for on their shelf.

If there is no liner attached as is the case with many older inserts being installed as slammers directly into an old fireplace, you may need the hoe.

pen

Benchwrench said:
ummm.gif

very-confused.gif

That is right. I haven't had to move that sucker back out of the fireplace since the liner install in 2006. The scrapping was before. Like you are doing. Do it. Line it. Fuggidaboutit.

Status
Not open for further replies.