Cooking thread, anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A 5.7 pound Prime Rib we had tonight.

IMG_0109.jpg IMG_0111.jpg

Reactions: EbS-P
New Year's Day chili in a 7-Quart Dutch oven. Served with cornbread. Topped mine with hot sauce, sour cream, diced onion, and shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Froze leftovers in single-serving containers. Yum!

IMG_2401 - Copy.JPG IMG_2402 - Copy.JPG

@PaulOinMA , that prime rib looks delicious! Chili, too.

@EbS-P, you really got my attention with your mention of pizza screens. I’ve heard mention of lots of paraphernalia: stones, steels, peels, perforated pans, and the like, but never screens. I had to look that up, and now I’m really intrigued. Do you still use a peel for transferring in and out of the oven?

@PaulOinMA , that prime rib looks delicious! Chili, too.

@EbS-P, you really got my attention with your mention of pizza screens. I’ve heard mention of lots of paraphernalia: stones, steels, peels, perforated pans, and the like, but never screens. I had to look that up, and now I’m really intrigued. Do you still use a peel for transferring in and out of the oven?
Nope. Kids make theirs right in the screen and then they can sit as long as it takes to get to the oven and nothing sticks terribly. No fuss no extra flour no pizza casualties. I use them for fries too on convection. Dough doesn’t have to be perfect either. Even if it’s too wet or thin you don’t have to worry.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Nope. Kids make theirs right in the screen and then they can sit as long as it takes to get to the oven and nothing sticks terribly. No fuss no extra flour no pizza casualties. I use them for fries too on convection. Dough doesn’t have to be perfect either. Even if it’s too wet or thin you don’t have to worry.

That sounds great! Thanks.

I also posted similar to the following December 17, 2020. :)

Snowy here in MA means one thing: plett. Little Swedish crepe-like pancakes. My wife loves them, so I'm on my own for food all day. She'll have them for breakfast, lunch, snacks, dinner, evening treat. She will also have salad, yogurt, fruit, which is our daily lunch, though.

She has plett rolled up as finger food, usually with cinnamon-sugar. With Chocolate dipping sauce spread on them as a mini-chocolate crepe treat. Yum!

IMG_2405 - Copy.JPG

Reactions: ispinwool
Sometime in December we ordered a red casserole dish (2.3 quarts) they sent yellow so when they ask how we liked the dish, we told them we received the wrong color, we sent them the picture and they said keep the dish and we'll send you the red dish at no charge, when the second dish came in it was yellow (picture 2674) we sent pictures of the two yellow dishes together along with some pictures of the shipping labels (they requested that) they said keep the second dish at no charge and we'll send the red dish, I didn't take a picture but we finally received the red dish we ordered.

The last four pictures are a gnocchi casserole I made in the yellow dish around Christmas time, the wife liked it so much that she wanted it again, in the red dish this time. Tomorrow I'll make the spaghetti sauce and either Sunday or Monday I'll make the gnocchi casserole .

We won't have any meatballs that I can put in so I'll brown some loose sausage and use that along with three different cheeses and the sauce.

104_2674.JPG IMG_0101.jpg IMG_0103.jpg IMG_0104.jpg IMG_0106.jpg

• Love
Reactions: ispinwool
old italian here i love gnocchi. that looks great. and yes dan freeman it always make me hungry too, but i'll keep looking:)

old italian here i love gnocchi. that looks great. and yes dan freeman it always make me hungry too, but i'll keep looking:)
After this we'll make an Italian Meatloaf that will end up in a spaghetti sauce with some cheese melted on top.

Last year at this time, I weighed 234.4, yesterday I weighed 206.4. Staying away from bread was hard but dropping 28 pounds was worth it. I plan on maintaining the weight I'm at instead of packing it back on and then working my arse off trying to lose it again.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
The spaghetti sauce is on the stove tonight and like my wife would say, is the most important thing done, yes the dishes are done.

Sometime in December we ordered a red casserole dish (2.3 quarts) they sent yellow so when they ask how we liked the dish, we told them we received the wrong color, we sent them the picture and they said keep the dish and we'll send you the red dish at no charge, when the second dish came in it was yellow (picture 2674) we sent pictures of the two yellow dishes together along with some pictures of the shipping labels (they requested that) they said keep the second dish at no charge and we'll send the red dish, I didn't take a picture but we finally received the red dish we ordered.

The last four pictures are a gnocchi casserole I made in the yellow dish around Christmas time, the wife liked it so much that she wanted it again, in the red dish this time. Tomorrow I'll make the spaghetti sauce and either Sunday or Monday I'll make the gnocchi casserole .

We won't have any meatballs that I can put in so I'll brown some loose sausage and use that along with three different cheeses and the sauce.

View attachment 289335 View attachment 289336 View attachment 289337 View attachment 289338 View attachment 289339

We had something like that happen with a large chest of drawers we ordered. The first one came quite damaged. The company didn’t want it back. The second came, even worse. The third one came intact except for the backing was damaged. The company refunded part of the purchase price, and we bought a replacement backing board with it. My father-in-law repaired the other two dressers so that they function even though the wood is crushed in places. We use them for storage.

The first time I ever had gnocchi was in Rome. It was delicious. It’s really hard to get that same experience here.

it's hard to get good italian food anywhere. well at least italian/american. i grew up with a mother that could cook anything and the family even said she was the best cook in the family. i lost 25 almost 28 pounds just by stopping sugar. it depends on the time when the doc takes blood i float between pre diabetic and full diabetic so had to cut the sugar out. but when it comes to good italian food then i eat. i grew up at the time when my family would play frank sinatra, dean martin and louis prima. and would eat on holidays. soup then the main course then the salad then fruit and nuts then the coffee and pastrys everything homemade. i really miss those times when everybody was alive and cooking :(

it's hard to get good italian food anywhere. well at least italian/american. i grew up with a mother that could cook anything and the family even said she was the best cook in the family. i lost 25 almost 28 pounds just by stopping sugar. it depends on the time when the doc takes blood i float between pre diabetic and full diabetic so had to cut the sugar out. but when it comes to good italian food then i eat. i grew up at the time when my family would play frank sinatra, dean martin and louis prima. and would eat on holidays. soup then the main course then the salad then fruit and nuts then the coffee and pastrys everything homemade. i really miss those times when everybody was alive and cooking :(
By the end of the huge meal, my grandmother (and then my mother) would invariably forget they had also made artichokes. It seemed like everyone was so full that half of us took an artichoke home 😂

I had that food one time in my life and it was down south and I learned to slide my teeth on the leaves (I guess) of the plant and get the so called fat of it..(artichokes) and this to me was a very unique experience...lol The cook made some kind of stuffing and it was delicious..I enjoyed that dinner but I am not a great cook to be able to duplicate it..I can make bread--oboy---oboy----in the breadmaker--lol clancey

The wife put this gnocchi dish together when I was making a fire, she did a few things different like pushing the ricotta cheese down in and more mozzarella on top, this was better than the first dish I made, more cheese.

IMG_0116.jpg IMG_0117.jpg IMG_0118.jpg

By the end of the huge meal, my grandmother (and then my mother) would invariably forget they had also made artichokes. It seemed like everyone was so full that half of us took an artichoke home 😂
love stuffed artichokes

Reactions: enordy
I grew two different varieties of sweet potatoes this year, and I have a bunch in my pantry. The problem is that my children definitely prefer the larger, moister variety over the smaller, drier one. It’s mostly a texture thing, I gather. I decided, therefore, not to make another batch of my usual sweet potato mash but rather to make chips. I had planned to bake them, but once I finished slicing up twelve small sweet potatoes, I realized that baking would just take too long. I therefore fried them in batches in a shallow layer of oil in my electric skillet, then seasoned them with a little salt and Cajun seasoning. Almost the entire batch disappeared, and I think the only reason I had leftovers for the next day was because I insisted upon it.

9C7E52C0-2651-463B-BEA4-A0486582831D.jpeg

@EbS-P , you inspired me with your mention of pizza screens. I did some reading about them and found a multi-pack of 14” screens for a good price. I’ve been wanting to have a way to make my own frozen pizzas, and this seemed like a way that I could accomplish it. It worked. I made four pizzas yesterday. We ate two fresh, but I froze the remaining two (using the griddle to create an empty, flat shelf on top of my vegetables). I used them for dinner tonight. I’m very excited to have a good way to make homemade frozen pizza. (And I really liked the crispy crust from cooking on the screen.). The picture is the pizzas after they came out of the freezer but before they went into the oven. They are both topped with onions, mushrooms, and shishito peppers. The red peppers on the second pizza are hot banana peppers.

EB52DE54-0FFD-41DA-A91E-E9FCD7D5A5BB.jpeg

Last edited:
When a winter storm is coming, I like to make a big pot of what I call Quick Chili. So, with a storm coming tonight, I made a fresh batch that we'll eat tomorrow, and freeze dry the rest for other days.

INGREDIENTS:
1lb Italian Sausage
2lbs Chop Meat
4 - 16oz jars of Black Bean Salsa
1 - 16oz jar of Chunky Garden Salsa
1 - 16oz can of tomato sauce

Directions:
1. Brown sausage and chop meat and drain
2. Add salsa and tomato sauce
3. Simmer until most of the water that rises (from the tomatoes in the salsa) steams off.

Easy and delicious!

-Eat however you like. We like to have it on tortilla bread with grated cheddar, diced tomatoes and lettuce all rolled up.
-Choose whatever "heat" sausage and salsas you like (mild, medium, or hot).

27CE3B64-3000-4B60-A69F-ACFA0816821F.jpg

Gosh this thread could start a cooking magazine...That Quick Chili is a money saver too and so easy to make but I would have to have the mild salsa but the taste is the same...My new hobby now will be to make a scrap book with all these foods and I will give your handles credit too--lol The only question for me is how do you do artichokes--thinking steaming them but the stuffing how would you make that so that it stays on those leaves? Want this from word of mouth from your old family recipes...I am too lazy to look it up and want to keep all you people busy--lol--more productive that way....I worked in a restaurant one time and they had eggplant stuff with crab meat and some kind of red sauce on top of that with different cheeses on top as well as that egg Benedict sauce on top of the individual pieces that looked the shape of pancakes..Of course the restaurant had its very own seasoning and would not give out the recipe... lol Everybody wanted it and that's all in the way of cooking suggestions that I have for this day...clancey