Couldn’t buy a blaze king... even if I wanted too

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Isn't the BK's high end thermostatically capped? The non-cat is unrestricted. Not that I am recommending taking the stove into overfire territory.
Last year I believe I posted pictures of the top of the stove, sides and glass temperature and a debate we had with woodystover if I remember correctly. It still get hot.

It doesn't matter what is the temperature. Any technology will have the same stress to heat up the place. And because is a non cat we can't say that you can run it way hotter because then you are over firing the stove and flue. Don't get me wrong, I am not just siding with cat stoves, just I am sure that any technology will have to work hard to do it regardless.
We put a cat stove in our cabin in northern Michigan and I regret it. Granted it was a time when I didn’t know chit about modern stoves and I thought that a cat stove was the only way to go. The only benefit I see now in having a cat stove in my cabin is when I’m there for a week or two over the winter, which doesn’t happen enough to warrant a cat stove. I wish we would have put in a tube or baffle stove that can still hit 8 hour burn times but is “simple” to run for all the family members who don’t nerd out on a wood stove like I do.

Reactions: Ludlow
Isn't the BK's high end thermostatically capped? The non-cat is unrestricted. Not that I am recommending taking the stove into overfire territory.
Thermostatically capped at the maximum safe burn rate. Pretty sweet.

I’ve burned a noncat at maximum safe output for days too and quickly find that it coals up. There is a maximum sustainable burn rate which is lower than peak possible output.

Both techs have a max output. The extra price for a cat stove only run at full output seems to be the only realistic objection in this thread.

That may be true...... Wide open the cat stove will not overfire if the stove is working correctly.

So I guess the better comparison would be 2 3cuft stoves with the cat stove running wide open and the tube stove running open but not over firing?
I think the non cat still have to be run with the primary air completely shut and pray to not get an overfire condition. I don't know if other cat stoves have the same control as BK to prevent overfire when run wide open.

I may make offerings of fir and madrona, but I have never prayed to my stove.

We put a cat stove in our cabin in northern Michigan and I regret it. Granted it was a time when I didn’t know chit about modern stoves and I thought that a cat stove was the only way to go. The only benefit I see now in having a cat stove in my cabin is when I’m there for a week or two over the winter, which doesn’t happen enough to warrant a cat stove. I wish we would have put in a tube or baffle stove that can still hit 8 hour burn times but is “simple” to run for all the family members who don’t nerd out on a wood stove like I do.
Everybody situation is different for sure. The family deal with this stove if they have to. With the others where a no no. They feel more comfortable dialing this one down than tending the air on the others in increments and all that.
For what they say, its easy.

I think the non cat still have to be run with the primary air completely shut and pray to not get an overfire condition. I don't know if other cat stoves have the same control as BK to prevent overfire when run wide open.
That simply is not true of most non cats if they are set up correctly

That simply is not true of most non cats if they are set up correctly
At some point you need to close the air. I understand different setups require the air completely shut or 1/4 open, etc. But for tthe most part needs to be shut to give the entrance to secondary burn that is the purpose of the technology, right?

At some point you need to close the air. I understand different setups require the air completely shut or 1/4 open, etc. But for tthe most part needs to be shut to give the entrance to secondary burn that is the purpose of the technology, right?
Yes shut part way but if it is set up properly you should be able to run half open. And yes that will give you secondaries.