Cracks in a Lopi Spirit ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StoveJones

Nov 1, 2017
USA
I have a 22 year old Lopi Spirit gas stove in my rental. A service guy looked at it recently and said it's developing cracks in the back of the firebox. He showed me where they were and said that carbon monoxide would leak out. To me, it just looked like some superficial cracks, more like enamel chipping than cracks that go all the way through.

What are your thoughts on this? Is this something common that happens at about 20 years? I've had a couple friends tell me it sounds fishy and it will cost a few thousand dollars to replace the stove, so I'd rather not spend the money if it's not necessary.

Thanks for your feedback!

See if you can find a local metal working company that has the equipment to see if the cracks go all the way thru. Whether it be an Ultrasound or Magnaflux inspection method, there ARE ways to determine the depth of the indications.

Thank you Daksy! It's probably time to replace the stove--apparently 20 years is about the lifetime--but I like to feel like I'm getting the straight story.

Thanks again.