Creating a Firewood Database

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Split

Aug 28, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
I know I'm relatively new here but I was wondering if I could make a suggestion. There are a lot of posts regarding wood ID's and myself being unfamiliar with some firewood, it would be nice if we had some kind of sticky with a firewood database. Just us simply posting pics of our splits in green state, seasoned, bark on/off, species, etc so that others could reference it - perhaps look through and see if they can I'd their firewood. It's tough without bark and leaves sometimes, so if we're posting lots of pics and we know the types it might prove useful. Might be good for conversation and discussion as well.

Just throwing g it out there.

Reactions: DiBurn90
I know I'm relatively new here but I was wondering if I could make a suggestion. There are a lot of posts regarding wood ID's and myself being unfamiliar with some firewood, it would be nice if we had some kind of sticky with a firewood database. Just us simply posting pics of our splits in green state, seasoned, bark on/off, species, etc so that others could reference it - perhaps look through and see if they can I'd their firewood. It's tough without bark and leaves sometimes, so if we're posting lots of pics and we know the types it might prove useful. Might be good for conversation and discussion as well.

Just throwing g it out there.
Id go so far to measure bark pieces and depth, that would be cool.
Strange things trying to ident a tree via bark. Many trees look so much different than each other right next to each other, and others change their bark from young > old (like we do). Where I'm at, it's pretty easy to tell what most trees are, but quite often I sit there scratching my head and cant tell because the leaves are too high for me to see.