Crown Royal Gasifier vs Multi-Pass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’ve got an endless supply of wood. 13 acres of woods here, and good friends with about 4 different tree company’s that love to dump wood.

I’ve got an endless supply of wood. 13 acres of woods here, and good friends with about 4 different tree company’s that love to dump wood.
I will suggest at least 6 cords of season wood ready for a gasser and 12 cords if you go with a MP.

bottom line is you will need to be three years ahead on wood to have properly seasoned wood every year. No matter what anyone tells you the hardwoods will not season in one or two summers.

I also work at a coke and stone foundry from time to time. I brought a bucket of coke home and threw in the burner. Must not have been running hard enough to make use of it though.
maybe in a gasser?

I also work at a coke and stone foundry from time to time. I brought a bucket of coke home and threw in the burner. Must not have been running hard enough to make use of it though.
maybe in a gasser?
No gasser is rated for anything outside of wood. I know someone that burned coal in a E series and had to replace all the refractory and warped all the steel. Burn chamber temps were double a wood fire.

I will suggest at least 6 cords of season wood ready for a gasser and 12 cords if you go with a MP.

bottom line is you will need to be three years ahead on wood to have properly seasoned wood every year. No matter what anyone tells you the hardwoods will not season in one or two summers.

I'd generally agree, but it does depend on your drying conditions. I have a high open sunny airy place. With this dry summer I think I could have burned Ok after a year. Usually 2 gets it pretty good. The 3rd leaves no doubt you've got some decent rocket fuel. :)

Last edited:
All of my fir and spruce firewood has dried in a month. I've been keeping my lumber stacked without air gaps just to try and keep it from cracking before I use it.

Fir and spruce softwoods can dry much faster than most of the dense hardwoods.

Weather definitely plays a big role
I would agree, and how well the wind and sun can get to your wood stack. I've seen wood get to 15-20% in one summer, this year it isn't happening for me tho, it's super wet this year.
I tried coal one time on a G series, the clinkers clogged the nozzle. I would be concerned about warpage on the air panels over time, altho the 2020 ones are stiffer. You really need a shaker grate unit for coal.

Reactions: SpaceBus
It's been super dry here. Still holding my breath on our well - it's frickin low. Crops to crap. Ya, not good.

I just remembered about the maples I cut up at our cottage this time a year ago after Dorian. They were full green when they came down. I got them in stacks fairly quick. Gonna have to try to remember to check some of it with the MM. I won't be burning it for a year or 2 yet.

Cutting 24"DSH standing dead Spruce for this years wood it's 12% standing according to my moisture meter.
Bonus of living in a semi arid area.

Reactions: cumminstinkerer
Umm Crown Royal...
my favorite rye

Reactions: 08roady
I am heating 2300sq ft. The home is insulated fairly well, but nothing crazy. Winter temps average 20*F, with the max low of around -10* F. I plan on heating domestic hot water. Was doing some research, and was looking between the 7200e and 7300e, not sure which.
I know this is an old post but I too am now looking between the 7200E and 7300E, have 2400sf and was quoted 11-12k for 7200E and 15-16k for the 7300E! Did you get the 7200E and do you like it? Money is tight and need to know if it will cover my needs. BTW, I’m really well insulated but we keep the house at 75° when home, 68° when sleeping!