Decent homeowner level saws?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like you need to stay away from the MS251 with its single bar nut.

Yeah. Just having one nut would bother me too.

Since you mentioned the 170 I will throw my .02 I Love that little saw with a 14" bar. I grab it first most of the time and I have cut plenty of wood with it. That said, I hear a lot of people like the Echo for the prices and I have read they run good also

If you only use it once in awhile you may run into trouble with a gas powered saw. I use only electric saws.They start every time. I have 2. A 12" and an 18" .I also have a gas powered poulan saw but it no longer runs from hardly ever using it.

Geeze.... For homeowner go an echo 18 in bar, anything bigger, go stihl, anything smaller, get some shears.......

I have a couple of 16" Husky 142's that handle what you are talking about with style and grace. Lil 40cc suckers are wood eaters par excellance. And I have run the crap out of them for six or seven years now.

I was at TSC and they had their Jonsereds on sale. Those are nice for the price.

For what it's worth...for many years now I've done all my cutting with a Stihl 460 mag...plenty of power but it gets heavy. I'm getting older and wanted a lighter saw for limbing canopies so I picked up a 180. I've only had the 180 for a few months but I have to tell you...I love that little thing! MY plan has been to drop the trees with the 460, then move in with my 180 and limb and then finish the main trunk with the bigger saw...well, after limbing I have a hard time putting the 180 down and just keep working down the trunk with the little guy. I feel as though I might be over working the 180...but it's not straining so.. I think the typical "Homeowner" could get by very easily with just that little 180. I'm very glad I bought it...as are my shoulders and back!

Status
Not open for further replies.