"Dirty" Blaze King windows

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Ahhhhh.......shoulder season. Interesting to see how others deal with it.
I’ll take this:

Autumn: Burn every chance you get. “Headed down from 75F to 59F tonight? Light ‘er up!”

Spring: The romantic notion of heating with wood has lost some of its luster. “What, it’s going up to 42F for an hour tomorrow afternoon? I won’t bother reloading.”

Reactions: redktmrider

jetsam

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2015
Long Island, NY
youtu.be
Spring: The romantic notion of heating with wood has lost some of its luster. “What, it’s going up to 42F for an hour tomorrow afternoon? I won’t bother reloading.”
The romantic luster of it being above 50 in the.living room never quite fades for me. No matter how sick I am of schlepping wood. :confused:

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
I don't know of anybody that gets 100% blockage where they can't see fire at all. If there is someone that does, I would be doubting their fuel supply and operational procedures.
me,burning my 1st season with the bk

Reactions: Highbeam
Spring: The romantic notion of heating with wood has lost some of its luster. ”
That may be the case at your house Ashful....but here we burn wood and wood alone for our heating needs from Oct- May. If we didn't burn the BK we'd have to dig out the back up heating system....aka the oil-filled electric space heater or the electric oven with the door open. Talk about a serious lack of luster! (for everyone but the Power Co.)

Yup...we get out the razor blade here as well when the glass gets too nast. We found that burning the Princess on high does little to clean the baked-on gunk off the glass but it does run us out of the house.

and it's that time again......

Reactions: Highbeam and Beldin

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
I haven’t kept up with this whole thread. As was mentioned I believe, the Ashford and sirocco platforms have much cleaner glass. I’ve certainly found this to be the case after having one of each..

Reactions: Ashful

Hardtopseadan

Nov 26, 2014
North Idaho
My Princess had black glass from last winter but like others have said if I open the t stat you can see some fire. For me I don't care how dirty the glass gets as long as the chimney stays clean [emoji41] I love my cat.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ashful

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
That may be the case at your house Ashful....but here we burn wood and wood alone for our heating needs from Oct- May. If we didn't burn the BK we'd have to dig out the back up heating system....aka the oil-filled electric space heater or the electric oven with the door open.
Usage patterns and methods are as varied as the members of this forum. In my case, the boiler is on six zones of programmable thermostats, all set to maintain the temperatures we desire, and I just try my best to keep ahead of them with the stoves. When it gets cold, and the stoves can’t keep up,the boiler picks up the difference.

Reactions: Highbeam