"Dirty" Blaze King windows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
All true. But my point back when I started this thread 7.5 years ago is that the BK30's actually don't even get all that dirty when running on low burn. Not like the photos I've seen of classic Princess and King models, anyway. It appears the air wash is more aggressive on these newer models, whether intentionally or by accident of design.
Oh, I am not disputing anything. You are likely correct. My glass can get completely gunked up but it will clean up nicely when burning on high. I recall looking at some pics of your stoves and the glass looked cleaner than mine. The question is, how many low burns after a hot burn was the pic taken….you know what I mean

All true. But my point back when I started this thread 7.5 years ago is that the BK30's actually don't even get all that dirty when running on low burn. Not like the photos I've seen of classic Princess and King models, anyway. It appears the air wash is more aggressive on these newer models, whether intentionally or by accident of design.
It's the depth of the firebox.

BKVP

Reactions: Ashful
Oh, I am not disputing anything. You are likely correct. My glass can get completely gunked up but it will clean up nicely when burning on high. I recall looking at some pics of your stoves and the glass looked cleaner than mine. The question is, how many low burns after a hot burn was the pic taken….you know what I mean
lol... it was 7.5 years ago! I can barely remember what I did with these two stoves yesterday, let alone back then! ;lol

Probably whatever I said in the OP. I can say the one that's burned on 12 hour cycles never gets more than that 2" x 4" triangle of dark in the corners, it stays pretty clean. The one that's burned on 24 hour circles usually has an area extending from the lower corners maybe 50% to 100% larger than that, or 3"x6" up to 4"x8". The center and upper half are always pretty clean, no matter how I burn them.

Reactions: Diabel
When you consider door glass accumulation, the King collects the most. The 9" deep firebox, followed by the Princess at 6" and the others at around 3".

Surely how you "use it" will influence the build up on the glass. Often folks cut their wood to the maximum N/S measurement, putting the piece end right near the glass. That results in the smoke stained appearance. Cutting the wood 2" shorter, that helps the air wash flow better.

Also, E/W loaders do so because they can fit in longer pieces. But that creates an air-dam, blocking the circulatory design for the airwash (front to back).

Wet wood, piece size and operating temps also contribute to more or less accumulation.

BKVP

Last edited:
I’ve noticed a performance difference with my stove when I load it E/W. I usually only load N/S. My firewood is cut to 16”, which gives some room between the wood and glass.

Loading N/S the fire burns from the front/middle of the firebox, to the front/sides, and then works it’s way to the back.

I’ve noticed a performance difference with my stove when I load it E/W. I usually only load N/S. My firewood is cut to 16”, which gives some room between the wood and glass.

Loading N/S the fire burns from the front/middle of the firebox, to the front/sides, and then works it’s way to the back.
Same here. Stove burns better n/s. I get lazy when bucking🤪. End up with some splits 21” that can only fit e/w

Reactions: DonTee