Electric car prototype increases range to 218 miles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many examples of completely sealed motors in use today. Cooling does not always equate to free flowing air through a motor. Have you ever taken a look at the drive systems of electric fork trucks? Or trains, or ......
Im sure it can be done,but at a cost. It must not be more cost effective now, as neither leaf or volt has employed it. Some prototypes with it now being tested. Time will tell.

Im sure it can be done,but at a cost.

A sump pump can be purchased for $69 that spends its entire life submerged in water. It really is not uncommon and has been accomplished in many arenas for years. But, that being said, there are many ways to skin the "electric drive train" cat.

A sump pump can be purchased for $69 that spends its entire life submerged in water. It really is not uncommon and has been accomplished in many arenas for years. But, that being said, there are many ways to skin the "electric drive train" cat.
I have 5 sump pumps at 2 locations, If they are not always under water(when the switch sticks) they overheat and burn up. The real ? is i suppose if its better to have 1 centrally located electric motor and drive shafts or several in wheel motors. So far no one has opted for the in wheel type and made it commercially available. Although they are probably close to one.

So far no one has opted for the in wheel type and made it commercially available. Although they are probably close to one.

I would suspect that you are right. When it comes to efficiency, the direct drive approach wins. Transmissions, drive shafts, etc. rob a little bit of power at every turn.

Not much difference between this an sealing of an aircooled VW crankcase that gets exposed to all the elements. Actually I thing sealing of the electric motor might be easier. However, there are controller electronics on some of these motors that have heat sinks. I wonder about mud caking on them affecting their operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.