England Stove Works 13-NC-CLP 13-NC-MH Intake not responsive

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Loco_Driver

Jan 27, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
Hey Everyone! I'm a newbie, so please excuse me. My setup is I have been using a used England Stove Works wood stove with a proper sealing door gasket connected to an unlined brick chimney. I noticed since day one of using it that the intake is unresponsive. Link to video of woodstove with intake opening and closing: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PCrys_t7Ij3Cn3iF6CsK6OLPmXG4w44b

The intake is connected, but it looks like a sloppy design. Here is a video of the intake guts from the only angle I can get: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ud-r4vLg4A_cdoySpbmw7BotPVfUPwV3
I noticed that it seems the intake isn't closing all the way by design...

Can anyone with experience let me know if the chimney being unlined is making the stove pull too much air in due to it being too large? Is this a woodstove defect? Anyone else have this brand of wood stove?

Any help is appreciated!!

Hey Everyone! I'm a newbie, so please excuse me. My setup is I have been using a used England Stove Works wood stove with a proper sealing door gasket connected to an unlined brick chimney. I noticed since day one of using it that the intake is unresponsive. Link to video of woodstove with intake opening and closing: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PCrys_t7Ij3Cn3iF6CsK6OLPmXG4w44b

The intake is connected, but it looks like a sloppy design. Here is a video of the intake guts from the only angle I can get: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ud-r4vLg4A_cdoySpbmw7BotPVfUPwV3
I noticed that it seems the intake isn't closing all the way by design...

Can anyone with experience let me know if the chimney being unlined is making the stove pull too much air in due to it being too large? Is this a woodstove defect? Anyone else have this brand of wood stove?

Any help is appreciated!!
The intake seems to be working as designed. The oversized chimney is certainly not helping you. But it will not cause an overdraft but honestly from the video it doesn't really look like an overdraft. What temps are you running at?

The fact that your chimney is unlined is a completely different concern. It is not safe to use an unlined chimney you are putting your house and safety at risk by doing so.

The stove runs between 400-500 depending on the amount of wood I use. I just know that most stoves have a serious change when adjusting the intake and my stove is really not a noticeable change at all.

As far as the chimney, I feel ok for right now. I know who built it, when it was built, inspected it myself, and had it inspected and cleaned by a professional company before I started using it. There is lots of mortar showing on the inside, ensuring a proper and good bond between each brick. I also have brand new heat,smoke, and CO2 alarms linked in a series and installed throughout my house, so in the case that I do have an emergency there are multiple alarms which will sound(although I would lose everything so lets hope that doesn't happen). I also have a couple chimney fire extinguishers, regular extinguishers, and other precautions I have taken because you never can be too safe. I have completely rebuilt this house, and the liner will be going in this spring when I redo my siding. I monitor the wood that is being burned, and am careful to make sure it is all seasoned.

But until then, I just wanted to verify and inquire why this England Stove Works stove seems to be unresponsive with the intake.

Well the fire isn't going to respond instantly in the video you are not giving it anywhere near enough time to respond. I don't know if that that was just for the video or not though.

As far as the chimney if you had a pro inspect it and they told you anything other than you need a liner you need a new pro. Brick and mortar are not meant to stand up to the heat or corrosiveness of wood exhaust. Your chimney is unsafe. Does it even have the required clearances between the outside of the chimney and anything combustible?