Face cord, vs cord, vs full cord...confused Canadian here!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
Newbie alert, can you tell by the title?! haha

I'm seeing some people sell "cords" of wood (their description), but when I asked what size it was just to triple check he wasn't referring to a face cord, he said it IS a face cord. So now, I'm confused.

What is the size of a cord? 4'x4'x8,' correct?
Face cord is 16"x4'x8', right?

Then what is a "full cord"?

EDIT: Before hitting create thread, decided to research a bit more on this forum. Turns out it's a Canadian thing to sell face cords and refer to them as cords. :rolleyes::oops:

What is the size of a cord? 4'x4'x8,' correct?
Face cord is 16"x4'x8', right?

A cord of split firewood is stacked 4’ tall, 8’ long, 4’ deep.

By that logic a face cord should be 4’x8’x16 inches. But in reality it’s 4’x8’x actual length of the split.

Occasionally I will sell a face cord for extra cash and advertise them as 4’x8’x length of splits. I do this because my splits are sometimes shorter sometimes longer and average 14 to 16 inches.

Lots of people say they want to buy a cord but they might be thinking of face cord. People get that mixed up sometimes.

Reactions: bholler
Also if your buying firewood from someone you don’t know make sure it’s dry. Get a moisture meter to check the wood before you load it up or before they dump it in your yard. They are cheap probably under $40 bucks for a meter. You can also tell if wood is dry by banging splits together. If they feel light and echo or sound a little hollow when banging them together the wood is fairly dry. If they make a heavy thud sound it’s probably not dry enough. Not an exact science but gives you an idea if the wood was just cut this year or if it’s been drying for a year or two. This is very noticeable with oak.

Never heard the term face cord until I joined here, that term is never used here in New England, seems to cause confusion and us Yankess keep things simple.

Never heard the term face cord until I joined here, that term is never used here in New England, seems to cause confusion and us Yankess keep things simple.
It was new to me as well. Here a cord is a cord.

Last edited:

Amen to that. Have been burning wood for 35 years and the cord was the only measure I ever heard of until I found this forum. And what a wonderful forum it is. However all this talk about face cords, half face, ricks, rick’s face, big loads, half loads and rick’s face load is enough to keep this Yankee here in CT, and that is saying a lot.

It's been decades since I moved from Connecticut so I just checked with a friend that was born and raised in CT and heats with wood. He knew what a face cord is right away. This definition is provided by a CT wood seller. Still that's no reason to move out of CT. It has some beautiful spots and my heart will always be in the Berkshires.
FWIW this CT wood seller sells face cords
http://www.kilndriedfirewoodct.com/

It's been decades since I moved from Connecticut so I just checked with a friend that was born and raised in CT and heats with wood. He knew what a face cord is right away. This definition is provided by a CT wood seller. Still that's no reason to move out of CT. It has some beautiful spots and my heart will always be in the Berkshires.
FWIW this CT wood seller sells face cords
http://www.kilndriedfirewoodct.com/

Oh I wouldn’t move out of CT over wood terminology. I have been here 62 years and getting ready to move out for the same reasons the other 110,000 people move out this year.

Reactions: saewoody
I try to stay away from Connecticut.

Left CT at age 18 on the old NY New Haven and Hartford line. Stayed on the last car so I could see the railroad ties move by as an indication of distance. 50 years later I can still see them

Could not wait to get out at 18, but, maybe that's true of any young man in any small town CT or not

As to face cords.. I've heard about them

Never have seen anything but a cord offered for sale here in wa for the last 40 sum years. I suppose I’ve seen a picture of a loaded truck and the seller saying “this load for x dollars” but not naming the volume.

Even sellers are afraid of the buyers not knowing what a cord is.

Last edited:
Never heard of a face cord, rick, etc. until I saw those terms on this site. Maybe it's the fact that I grew up with woodstoves and a family who would occasionally bring in some extra cash by cutting a few cords of pulp wood for sale . . . but a cord has and always will be 128 cubic feet (although I'm still old school and think in terms of 4 x 4 x 8 feet since that is how we use to do a lot of the pulp wood.)

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Yeah, it's a canadian thing I guess. It's really a face cord, but they all say call it a cord, which it's not. Having 4 face cords delivered, which is basically a cord and a bit. Was supposed to be 4 cords for the winter, ugh, learning curve.

Reactions: Ashful
The vast majority of folks in this area never use the term cord. Firewood is sold and referred to in "ricks". If someone wanted a cord of wood they'd buy three 16" cut ricks. or two 24" cut ricks. When I say "cord" of wood 99.9% of folks are clueless.

You are a wise man. Years ago we used to call MA taxachussets. The last laugh is on us. My wife and I are considering becoming Massholes in retirement, The Cape. We love it there.

Wikipedia says that "rick" is a Midwestern term, but I spent more than 20 years there without ever hearing it.

On the other hand, I've never bought or sold wood, so maybe that explains it.

One thing I've noticed here in small town Ontario since I started buying firewood is that it has to be one of the most unregulated industries I've ever seen. Most people pay cash. There's virtually no way to know how much inventory these guys have. I'm sure, like most things the bigger name sellers are probably legit to an extent but there's lots of smaller scale guys around here with splitters and a chain saw who pay zero taxes on their income.

Connecticut is great, other than the insane cost of living, and their drivers.

Yeah, it's a canadian thing I guess. It's really a face cord, but they all say call it a cord, which it's not. Having 4 face cords delivered, which is basically a cord and a bit. Was supposed to be 4 cords for the winter, ugh, learning curve.
As you've already figured out, cord is a unit of volume, 128 cubic feet. A face cord is ironically not even a unit of volume, it is a unit of area, 4' x 8' x whatever the hell you want. You could take parque flooring blocks, stack them to 4' x 8', and it is a face cord. But that won't keep you warm for long.

The good news is that, even at 3x your anticipated cost, it is still likely the cheapest form of heat going. Also, having a stove in your living room is a heck of a lot more fun than gathering around the boiler in the utility room, on a snowy winter night.

One thing I've noticed here in small town Ontario since I started buying firewood is that it has to be one of the most unregulated industries I've ever seen. Most people pay cash. There's virtually no way to know how much inventory these guys have. I'm sure, like most things the bigger name sellers are probably legit to an extent but there's lots of smaller scale guys around here with splitters and a chain saw who pay zero taxes on their income.

Who cares?

Reactions: rowerwet
caveat emptor

Status
Not open for further replies.