Face cord, vs cord, vs full cord...confused Canadian here!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I've noticed here in small town Ontario since I started buying firewood is that it has to be one of the most unregulated industries I've ever seen. Most people pay cash. There's virtually no way to know how much inventory these guys have. I'm sure, like most things the bigger name sellers are probably legit to an extent but there's lots of smaller scale guys around here with splitters and a chain saw who pay zero taxes on their income.

So are you saying, you would rather have more government oversite into cord wood sales here in Ontario? Be careful what you wish for. As soon as the Gov't gets involved, the price for cord wood will start to skyrocket just like oil, propane, gas and hydro.

Everything the Gov't touches costs the taxpayers money. If you want to protect yourself as a consumer, be a smart shopper, know your wood source and sizes and the industry will regulate itself.

Reactions: saewoody
Yeah, it's a canadian thing I guess. It's really a face cord, but they all say call it a cord, which it's not. Having 4 face cords delivered, which is basically a cord and a bit. Was supposed to be 4 cords for the winter, ugh, learning curve.
It's more than a Canadian thing. I have seen face cords for sale from coast to coast in the states too. Some sales are legit where the wood is pricey and folks want just a little dry wood for holiday fires. But often face cord sales are by unscrupulous wood sellers taking advantage of new stove or fireplace owners.

Reactions: bholler
One thing I've noticed here in small town Ontario since I started buying firewood is that it has to be one of the most unregulated industries I've ever seen. Most people pay cash. There's virtually no way to know how much inventory these guys have. I'm sure, like most things the bigger name sellers are probably legit to an extent but there's lots of smaller scale guys around here with splitters and a chain saw who pay zero taxes on their income.

Got a "short" delivery many years ago by a guy advertising in the local newspaper classifieds. I called the newspaper to let them know. I was sure they wanted legit adverts..

They called the guy and called him a thief. He called me and promised to make good. Moral: there are forces in the community other than the law that promote honest dealing

These days I just buy from the local firm that does it for a living. The deliveries are never short, For my part I buy from them year after year

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up in CT (born on LI) and never heard of a face cord. Lived on a wooded lot and cut and split our own firewood every year. Never bought wood, so wood terminology wasn't used.

We're actually thinking of moving from MA to SE CT. My wife really likes it there. Also want to get away from the people that think Boston is the center of the universe. Their constant obsession with and inferiority complex towards all things New York is really weird.

Will split our time between CT and OBX.

Reactions: saewoody
It was just an observation.

a3082ff1ad251de042351f1f4492481c.gif

There IS an even worse way to buy wood than the "face cord", and that is the baggie.

Image3919638487887339693.jpg

$1529/cord. For BIRCH.

What makes it so good?
Image6432053709831480129.jpg

It's EUROPEAN, naturally seasoned, AND kiln dried! From an "EcoForest"!

Before you ask if this could get any dumber.... well, yeah, it could.

20181116_144746.jpg

"KINDLING. It's firewood...only easier!" Five bucks for a pack of shims. $1916/cord.

I must admit though, they ARE advertising volumes and prices right up front.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: coutufr
Yeah, it's a canadian thing I guess. It's really a face cord, but they all say call it a cord, which it's not. Having 4 face cords delivered, which is basically a cord and a bit. Was supposed to be 4 cords for the winter, ugh, learning curve.

Not a Canadian thing.

Ontario thing, maybe. But also used south of the border in places. Never see it used around here - a cord is a cord. Which is the way it should be. Or a fraction thereof.

Not a Canadian thing.

Ontario thing, maybe. But also used south of the border in places. Never see it used around here - a cord is a cord. Which is the way it should be. Or a fraction thereof.

I think it’s just a “shady dealer” thing, not unique to any locale. All over the world, sellers hawking their wares, make their best effort to appear they’re giving the most for least, while taking advantage of the under-informed.

You, sir, have been attending the wrong sort of boiler room parties.

Amen to that! I learned much about life and its pleasures at boiler room parties. Four of my eleven children were conceived in the aftermath of boiler room bashes. Those days are past and now we just sit around the Jotul harkening back to a simpler time, wondering where all those children are.

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.