Feedback about a kiln I’m going to build.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

E_Z_Wind

Nov 23, 2022
New York
Hey everyone! Firing the old vc Montpelier here in NY! Hope everyone is having a nice warm start to the heating season!!

Looking for some feedback on a kiln of sorts, maybe more like a heated wood box lol, I’m gonna build. I’m not really skilled to it needs to stay pretty basic.

I have enough css seasoned wood for this winter. I have about two years worth of red oak that I css’d over the summer/fall, so I’m kind of just doing this for something to do to pass the time, will probably log some mc data once it gets working and if I can cut some time drying time off that oak that would be good too, although I can get through next year without the oak. The oak is 16”- 20” long, mostly 4” splits that the bark fell off when I split it green over this past summer.

I’m going to place the box in my enclosed porch, which is dry but not heated.

Basic design I have in mind to start with is to build a frame about 48” w x 48” h x 24” d using 2x4’s. Put a couple of 2x4’s width-wise 24” from the bottom for a shelf dividing the box in half. Next afix insulating board to plywood and attach to frame to enclose it, such that I can take the front board off to load the wood inside. Heat source would be light bulb(s) (not looking to use much electricity heating it).

I figure I could fit somewhat less that a qrtr cord in it. If it works I might scale it up in the future to have 4 compartments so I can put about a cord in it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!

You need some sort of intake/exhaust. Dry air in and wet air out. I also think you will be burning lots of zoomies (watts) to make any kind of a significant temp change

I think that design won't have any kiln effect on your wood. Just let it air dry with ventilation and you'll be fine. A light bulb in a ventilated box will do next to nothing.

I made an incubator out of a gutted refrigerator. I took the divider out from inbetween the fridge and freezer, and used spray foam to fill the gap between the top and bottom doors. There was a box fan on low sitting where the crisper drawers were blowing up. Air returned to the bottom through a false wall built into the back of the fridge about an inch off the real back wall.
The heat was generated from two lightbulbs hooked to a thermostat to keep it at around 98 if I remember correctly. It kept it within 2 degrees above and below the set temp. The light would cycle about one minute on and five minutes off once it was up to temp. My goal was to keep a high humidity level, so I had water to evaporate in a bowl. You would need to allow some draft to keep it dry.
It would hatch about 400 out of 500 quail eggs consistently. It worked pretty good.
I would defiantly have a thermostat. A 100 watt light bulb gets pretty hot in an enclosed space.

In order for it to be a kiln it need to get warm.. really warm to dry and have air circulation.. fresh air in and moisture laden air out.. really warm air will be able to carry more moisture and as the warm air heats the dew point drops.. You have not created any of this and it will not work.. Your using electricity to heat the inside of the box.. look up the thread in my signature.. try something that works.. without using any energy..

Reactions: lml999
IMG_5225.JPG

Armanidog you are on to something there. This is similar to my unique non ventilated woodshed. Don't build it on a slab, get that subfloor 16 inches off the ground and make a wooden floor. It is important that it set out in sunshine for most of the day. You don't need any fans. My shed has a roof of metal, but yours would work better, the translucent roof would let sunshine directly into the woodshed/solar kiln. I can get fresh cut red oak to 15 percent moisture in 8 months. I leave the door shut. It works on the principle that water vapor will pass through wooden walls and floor.

Reactions: 30WCF
Hoping to build a small version of that this sping
If you're going to do something like this that's more permanent I would do the polycarbonate panels on the roof and threesides but not the North side that should be plywood... You could do 2 automatic vent openers one on the side to add fresh air 1 on the top to allow the hot moisture Laden air out.. The dew point in something like this in the summertime regardless of how moist it is outside with the sun going should be something like 2%

If you're going to do something like this that's more permanent I would do the polycarbonate panels on the roof and threesides but not the North side that should be plywood... You could do 2 automatic vent openers one on the side to add fresh air 1 on the top to allow the hot moisture Laden air out.. The dew point in something like this in the summertime regardless of how moist it is outside with the sun going should be something like 2%
If I do something it will be a budget build. I'll do the poly carb roof, but the sides will probably be plywood. Will probably use a solar powered fan and use manual vent covers

If I do something it will be a budget build. I'll do the poly carb roof, but the sides will probably be plywood. Will probably use a solar powered fan and use manual vent covers
If you fasten the polycarbonate sheets to a flat edge the ridges will act as vents.

If you go to a distributor.. and get a 6mil its practically the same price as pressure treated wood and youll build more heat in it

Hey everyone! Firing the old vc Montpelier here in NY! Hope everyone is having a nice warm start to the heating season!!

Looking for some feedback on a kiln of sorts, maybe more like a heated wood box lol, I’m gonna build. I’m not really skilled to it needs to stay pretty basic.

I have enough css seasoned wood for this winter. I have about two years worth of red oak that I css’d over the summer/fall, so I’m kind of just doing this for something to do to pass the time, will probably log some mc data once it gets working and if I can cut some time drying time off that oak that would be good too, although I can get through next year without the oak. The oak is 16”- 20” long, mostly 4” splits that the bark fell off when I split it green over this past summer.

I’m going to place the box in my enclosed porch, which is dry but not heated.

Basic design I have in mind to start with is to build a frame about 48” w x 48” h x 24” d using 2x4’s. Put a couple of 2x4’s width-wise 24” from the bottom for a shelf dividing the box in half. Next afix insulating board to plywood and attach to frame to enclose it, such that I can take the front board off to load the wood inside. Heat source would be light bulb(s) (not looking to use much electricity heating it).

I figure I could fit somewhat less that a qrtr cord in it. If it works I might scale it up in the future to have 4 compartments so I can put about a cord in it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!
I've a metal covered lean to 12X28x 8feet tall, north south wind flow, I took in one year fresh hickory down to 22% moisture, can't complain about that.