Finished splitting this past weekend! (w/ pic)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave K

Burning Hunk
Sep 26, 2013
Sussex County, NJ
I rented a log splitter this past weekend and split about 2 cords. Only cost me $80 for the rental so I'm pretty happy as I scrounged all of this wood this past spring/summer for free. A lot of it was from a neighbor that had piles of wood on his property for at least 2 years. The near pile is mostly already dry. The stacks you see near my 1958 camper are going to need more time to dry out.
wood2015.jpg

I rented a log splitter this past weekend and split about 2 cords. Only cost me $80 for the rental so I'm pretty happy as I scrounged all of this wood this past spring/summer for free. A lot of it was from a neighbor that had piles of wood on his property for at least 2 years. The near pile is mostly already dry. The stacks you see near my 1958 camper are going to need more time to dry out.

I am splitting the last of a dead, standing ash I scrounged a month or two ago today.
The splits are measuring 15% as I am splitting them so they are getting moved right into this years rotation.

I have a couple more cords of oak I scrounged last weekend. Those are gonna get split soon as even though they were also dead standing, that wood is still 40%. Gonna be a while till that is ready.

I rented a log splitter this past weekend and split about 2 cords. Only cost me $80 for the rental so I'm pretty happy as I scrounged all of this wood this past spring/summer for free. A lot of it was from a neighbor that had piles of wood on his property for at least 2 years. The near pile is mostly already dry. The stacks you see near my 1958 camper are going to need more time to dry out. View attachment 166082
What do you think of that splitter?

Looking good! It feels good to get it done and out of the way!

I say if your going to burn, a splitter is a must have tool.

Reactions: davidmsem
Status
Not open for further replies.