Mrpelletburner Posted By Mrpelletburner, Oct 2, 2018 at 1:29 PM

1. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    Yes, I am back for a 2nd year with the Fire Chief FC1000 and even with the wood another season drying, same results.

Wood measures 20% moisture

Still back puffing

Even more puffing via the draft blower

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cumminstinkerer

cumminstinkerer
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 2, 2016
    Loc:
    central iowa
    @Mrpelletburner I will occasionally experience that with my homemade boiler that is running secondary combustion, when that happens I have the secondary air fan to slow and it builds up a bunch of gas then gets just enough air to lite off. if I just speed the secondary fan up a very tiny bit it takes off and stops puff and runs super clean and hot.

3. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Man, you're a sucker for punishment for keeping that, umm, thing around. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    woodey and brenndatomu like this.
  4. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2014
    Loc:
    Wisconsin Dells, WI
    A little late to be visiting this now if you were wanting different results vs last year, don't ya think?

5. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    While HY-C did come out to visit, last spring, they are not doing anything but asking the same questions over and over again.

- Wood is definitely seasoned you can see from the video
    - Chimney is lined
    - stove pipe is tight

6. DoubleB

DoubleB
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 4, 2014
    Loc:
    NE Wisconsin
    Get your leverage lined up and use it to get a refund. Leverage can be insurance company blacklisting the furnace; fire inspector; BBB; local news station; social media; use your imagination. The point is not to be an opportunistic vulture, the point is they sold you something other than advertised.

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Oh man, I about choked on my spit when I saw your thread title...I though there is no way he is back for a second season with that Piece Of Scrap! I can't believe it...seriously!
    I thought your wife banished that thing from the house?!
    As far as HY-C coming out...they were just hoping to find fault in something with the house/chimney/wood supply/etc. Not finding anything, they've got nothing for you.
    It's just a bad design...check that, its a TERRIBLE design! Taking primary and "secondary" air from the same intake will never work, never!
    And you are not the only one with issues, IIRC there was a whole handful of people last winter that weren't thrilled with their FC1000.
    Ask for a refund...DEMAND a refund! You have went so far above and beyond that its just crazy! No way I would have risked mine and my family's health and safety, and my home/belongings, for doing their R n D for them!
    If they drag their feet for a full refund, I'd raise a stink like they have never seen before!!! After I was done you wouldn't be able to look anything up online about a FC1000 without reading my negative experience with it

woodey likes this.
  8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Oh, and I noticed in the first vid that you have a Sooteater...HY-C does know how to clean a chimney, don't they?! ;lol

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
  10. TCaldwell

TCaldwell
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2007
    Loc:
    860-868-9014 h 203 948 0864 c nw corner ct.
    Didn’t read last years thread but If the issue is back puffing, there’s too much primary air in relationship to the secondary air, dryer wood is going to magnify the problem.

11. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    brenndatomu likes this.
  12. TCaldwell

TCaldwell
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2007
    Loc:
    860-868-9014 h 203 948 0864 c nw corner ct.
    Sorry, I’m not reading 22 pages of threads

13. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    Just watch some of the videos I have posted to YouTube. Anyone that searches any of the new EPA models, my YouTube videos will show up.

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Exactly...that's what I have been saying all along...and IMO there's no way to fix it without some HEAVY mods to the firebox

15. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    Your Wood measures 21 and 22. Also that is within the outside 2” or so. Split that right down the middle and you probably have 23%-24%. Not the 15%-20% recommended for epa stoves. Not to mention how inaccurate the cheap handheld meters are.

There is a serious flaw with the air intake, something H-YC should come up with a design change to fix. I have a design to modify mine once it’s in the shop. Using a flapper like on the outdoor boiler for the fan and adding another source of secondary air. It kinda defeats the purpose though.

Did you just add wood and not let it burn for fifteen minutes or so prior to the puffing? That bottom piece is putting off a ton of smoke for how charred it is. Usually wet to do that. This year has been horrible to season firewood and any wood I have that was not ready last year is not ready this year either. Even what was covered that is two seasons old has not dropped moisture from last year.

16. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    Didn’t just add wood, was actually letting the fire go out.

The split has been around for 3 seasons split and stacked under cover in the wood shed.

That one burning split was causing the “back puffing”. Why is this smoke not going up the flue and just staying in the fire box.

17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    A proper EPA firebox burns that smoke making more heat instead of more chimney farts...

18. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana

That is the secondary air problem. not enough air but enough fuel and heat.

I want to try something like this with it.

brenndatomu likes this.
  19. laynes69

laynes69
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 2, 2006
    Loc:
    Ashland OH
    That fire is nowhere near large enough to maintain enough heat in that firebox! If you're trying to burn a quick fire, use small splits no larger than a few inches in diameter and crisp cross them and keep the damper open. Let it burn out.

woodey and Medic21 like this.
  20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    That works great in most fireboxes, but these things are so screwy I think those small splits will gas off too hard and do the same ole backpuff crap

21. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    When I do it I turn the thermostat to 90 and let it burn the entire load. Small fires once or twice a day when it’s 40-50 out keeps heat in the house without the puffing problem.

Mrpelletburner likes this.
  22. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    IIRC, OP said last year he tried that and still got puffs

23. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2014
    Loc:
    Wisconsin Dells, WI
    Here ya go............lol

upload_2018-10-7_20-44-15.png

24. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana

I’d love to have that for my shop. Looks like it’s in good condition still.

25. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I think its for sale ;)

Medic21 likes this.