Fire Chief or Shelter EPA stoves feedback

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Did you really have to use the "W" word?

Guess I should start thinking about a plan. So far nothing has changed, HY-C visited, but nothing has been done.

One item I need to look at is the 22" t-snout installed. Because of the distance of the flue to the exterior, the only option was the 22" t-snout. I have to believe that I am not the only person with a long snout ;).

Next item to look at is do I fill the space between the clay liner and the SS liner with vermiculite? I could always pull the liner, break out the clay liner and blanket-wrap the liner.

Do I dare to keep this stove? Have not heard back from HY-C since last season? Did they change anything with the design after visiting customers in the spring?

So far nothing has changed, HY-C visited, but nothing has been done.
I'd be ridin 'em like a rented mule...time goes by...the "wheel" quits squeaking...so nothing changes...winter 2018/19 is just like the last one...now where did I see this before...oh yeah, "Groundhog Day" ::-)

Reactions: DoubleB
While researching new EPA rated stoves, I could not locate much info regarding the new Fire Chief / Shelter EPA rated stoves. Hope this thread becomes a place where FC/S owners can post their experience setup.

Perhaps someone that had an older version and has since upgraded, could provide feedback regarding burn times and wood consumption? Was the upgrade worth it?

Once my FC1000 arrives, I will be sharing my feedback.
I just bought the fire chief 1000 and no matter what kind of wood even 9 percent dry and still had back puffing so bad it blew my clean out Cap off called The place I bought from and talked to fire chief they had me drill out the rivet on the exhaust blower that fixed the back puffing but now it will not put out the heat and I live in a 985 sq ft house this stove is rated for 2500 sq ft I can only get my house to 72 on a 45 degree days and I live in the snow belt of lake Erie. Now I asked for a refund and got laughed at any lawyers on this site.

I just bought the fire chief 1000 and no matter what kind of wood even 9 percent dry and still had back puffing so bad it blew my clean out Cap off called The place I bought from and talked to fire chief they had me drill out the rivet on the exhaust blower that fixed the back puffing but now it will not put out the heat and I live in a 985 sq ft house this stove is rated for 2500 sq ft I can only get my house to 72 on a 45 degree days and I live in the snow belt of lake Erie. Now I asked for a refund and got laughed at any lawyers on this site.
Good lord! Even if the stove puts out a third of the output, you shouldn't have an issue with 985 sq ft. I have 2500 sq.ft and at zero I can have the house at 75. You need an energy audit. I'm an hour south of lake erie here in ohio.

But, according to Mark at H-YC they have sold thousands and there are no real problems...

I don’t know what to tell you. I’m done with them and their go to standard you did something wrong during install. I bent over backwards, spent a lot of money, and finally did a modification to get it to burn decent enough to heat my house so I can trust it. I modified the blower with a reostat to slow it down when it’s not calling for heat and it allows it to work as designed when it does. It solved the puffing that is because of not enough airflow and I can get roughly 10 hour burns out of it. House is 75 right now and it’s 14 degrees out. Won’t be enough with the temps they are calling for later this week but, I don’t think anything properly sized would and I have propane to supplement.

I plan on “fixing” it when the boiler is installed this summer with a bunch of tannerite and I’m considering shipping it to MO with a note saying its been correctly reengineered. However, someone here pointed out it can withstand explosions as proven by a lot of us. Nothing else, I have a decent firebox to start with, mig and tig welder, plasma cutter, torch, etc to make it function good enough for the shop after it comes out of the house.

Not happy and even less satisfied with H-YC and their ability to try to point out everything wrong with the install instead of admitting they have a poorly designed unit. Sounds like their other products are not much better right @Mrpelletburner?

Reactions: sloeffle and woodey
But, according to Mark at H-YC they have sold thousands and there are no real problems...

I don’t know what to tell you. I’m done with them and their go to standard you did something wrong during install. I bent over backwards, spent a lot of money, and finally did a modification to get it to burn decent enough to heat my house so I can trust it. I modified the blower with a reostat to slow it down when it’s not calling for heat and it allows it to work as designed when it does. It solved the puffing that is because of not enough airflow and I can get roughly 10 hour burns out of it. House is 75 right now and it’s 14 degrees out. Won’t be enough with the temps they are calling for later this week but, I don’t think anything properly sized would and I have propane to supplement.

I plan on “fixing” it when the boiler is installed this summer with a bunch of tannerite and I’m considering shipping it to MO with a note saying its been correctly reengineered. However, someone here pointed out it can withstand explosions as proven by a lot of us. Nothing else, I have a decent firebox to start with, mig and tig welder, plasma cutter, torch, etc to make it function good enough for the shop after it comes out of the house.

Not happy and even less satisfied with H-YC and their ability to try to point out everything wrong with the install instead of admitting they have a poorly designed unit. Sounds like their other products are not much better right @Mrpelletburner?
I'm planning on installing a propane furnace for this next winter season. 100% done with them.

Didn't know about that lil detail...I guess that's something...don't think it will help, but its more than just excuses, or playing the blame game.

This is the one issue I'm not fully satisfied has been addressed is the wet wood possibility. Those moisture meters are not fool proof. And if this was any other stove with a proven track record, I'd say it is a wet wood problem...but in this case I still say poor design, and then the wood could be a contributing factor...maybe.
I'm burning kiln dried fire wood it's at ,9 percent fire chief is a rip off my stove eas professionally installed I was told I have the perfect set up with 0 flaws but can't get my house above 72

I'm burning kiln dried fire wood it's at ,9 percent fire chief is a rip off my stove eas professionally installed I was told I have the perfect set up with 0 flaws but can't get my house above 72
Yeah, these things are really giving FC a black eye...and I feel bad for everybody that bought one

Has anyone filed a complaint with the BBB because that's my next step if they get enough complaints fire chief will have to do something
Yeah I dunno...that would have only been the first of several steps for me...

Reactions: sloeffle
Tried talking to the store where I bought it they're trying to get me to up grade to the fc1500 and pay the difference told them no I want my money back I was told that was not happening going to have a face to face next week

they're trying to get me to up grade to the fc1500 and pay the difference
They call that an upgrade huh?
Sounds more like paying extra to get a slice of cheese on your crap sandwich to me...

Reactions: sloeffle
They call that an upgrade huh?
Sounds more like paying extra to get a slice of cheese on your crap sandwich to me...

Moldy cheese at that?

Reactions: woodey
Moldy cheese at that?
Sometimes they actually charge more $ for that!
I was thinking more along the lines of a slice of that cheap "processed cheese food" stuff ;)

Tried talking to the store where I bought it they're trying to get me to up grade to the fc1500 and pay the difference told them no I want my money back I was told that was not happening going to have a face to face next week

The upgrade only has a burn time aka heat output of 4-5 hours. I had the 1000 and now the 1500 and have not had success yet. Working closely with HY-C trying to help work out the bugs. I am giving the 1500 2 more weeks.

I am giving the 1500 2 more weeks.
53ee2c412ad639c217494&pid=1.7&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2fmQvbCV8nYglby%2fgiphy.gif
then
76ff9aab0ad95a19fede&pid=1.7&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fthumbs.gfycat.com%2fFlusteredMelodicGrub-max-1mb.gif
??? ;) ;lol

Reactions: woodey and laynes69
The upgrade only has a burn time aka heat output of 4-5 hours. I had the 1000 and now the 1500 and have not had success yet. Working closely with HY-C trying to help work out the bugs. I am giving the 1500 2 more weeks.
Are they going to give your money back because they told me no refund so I guess the next thing to do is take them to court which it shouldn't have to come that but they will not admit that they screwed up a simple design