Firestarters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrzgrl

Nov 18, 2014
New Jersey
A friend just gave me a box of Duraflame quick start fire starters. Are these ok to start a fire in my Vermont Casting stove? I've heard yes and no. These are the firestarters not the logs.

Is your stove catalytic? You might see if the package says if they are safe for catalytic stoves, which they probably are. By the time you engage the damper to put the stove in catalytic mode, I would think the firestarter material would be used up.

There should be no issue using the starters. The amount of wax per start is pretty low and shouldn't have any lasting effects.

Reactions: Jrzgrl
Is your stove catalytic? You might see if the package says if they are safe for catalytic stoves, which they probably are. By the time you engage the damper to put the stove in catalytic mode, I would think the firestarter material would be used up.
Stove is not a catalytic. It's a 1979 Vermont Casting wood stove. Very simple. Just didn't want to create any residue in the flue.

Use if you got 'em, but they're pretty lousy fire starters.

There is nothing pure about wood. Wood is only as pure as the soil it is in. That means it has chemicals, bacterial, poop, spores, natural oils and dirt all through it and around it.

All natural, but it has tons of stuff in it that is not great for you or your stove.

Burn your wax/wood firestarters with impunity.

Reactions: Jrzgrl and NWfuel
Status
Not open for further replies.