Firewood Shed Finished and Filled.... Question About Season Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike.O

Burning Hunk
Dec 20, 2017
Finally finished splitting all my wood and the shed is full. Started building in Mid spring and have been working consistently since then on construction and then rolled right into filling the shed. (Still some minor trim to finish on the shed) Split around 12 cords and moving another 3 previously split into the shed.

Now my question is for the other firewood shed users, or large pile stackers.... How does stacking and storing like this affect season time. Should I anticipate an extra year? Or only a few months? More than an extra year?

Its pretty much a solid 27' x 13' x 6' square of stacked firewood.

Look forward to hear what you guys think...

IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg

I have a a 2 acre field where I can stack my wood, spaced 4 foot, that gets sun and wind all day long, so other than oak, I can get maple, ash, beech and hickory under 20% in a year, although I don't bother with any of it until I get two summers worth of sun and wind doing it's thing, then tarp what I think I'm going to burn in late September - looks like your wood is green and stacked with no space between the rows, my guess is your outside rows will dry twice as fast as the inner rows.

The answer depends a lot on what kind of wood and where you are. Here in California, the humidity is so low that softwoods (pine, fir and cedar) will season quite well in one year regardless of how it's stacked/piled, as long as it's up off the ground. Oak will take 3 years, also pretty much regardless.

It's too late now, but I would suggest in the future that you separate that stack with pallets standing on edge every 2 or 3 rows to improve air flow.

Oh, btw, Nice Shed!

Reactions: David.Ervin
The answer depends a lot on what kind of wood and where you are. Here in California, the humidity is so low that softwoods (pine, fir and cedar) will season quite well in one year regardless of how it's stacked/piled, as long as it's up off the ground. Oak will take 3 years, also pretty much regardless.

It's too late now, but I would suggest in the future that you separate that stack with pallets standing on edge every 2 or 3 rows to improve air flow.

Oh, btw, Nice Shed!

Thanks! Thats a great idea with the pallets vertical. Would lose some volume, but that could work out. Right now its planned as +/- 5 cords per bay, which is roughly my season usage. Maybe with pallets id lose half a cord, that wouldn't be bad, i could stack a little bit else where.

BTW, the wood is 40% OAK, 20% Black Birch and 40% Ash. In Southern New England, so not the most ideal seasoning climate.

I have 5 additional cords set aside for this year, so my plan is Ash from the shed next year, then start in on the oak which would be almost 3 years season.

I have an 8 cord shed in the driveway area, I burn about 4 cords a season so I alternate bays, I also split and stack my 3rd year stuff during the summer and let it sit in the elements until spring when I then reload the shed.. rinse and repeat.
The shed is an amazing addition to burning firewood, the stacks can breath but don't get wet, you'll see your piles start shrinking in height in a few months as the wood loses its moisture.
You should be fine with your 2nd and 3rd year stuff regarding time to season, just keep reloading a bay every spring.

Your seasoning time should drop. My time did for seasoning when i switched to a shed. The one thing to point out is for you the outside stack will season faster then the inside. Your bay is long and wide so the middle portion will not be getting as much air through it and that will slow the process, but only for the center portion. You may want to make a little space through there the next time you stack to even out the drying. In a shed with good air you can season you oak in 2 summers, like 18 months.

Good looking shed.. and lots of wood... you did alot of work

Reactions: Mike.O
Good God! That is a nuclear powered woodshed if ever I saw one. That is some good carpentry.
I like the way you made concrete footers above ground level, and put bolts in them, and bolted chairs on, to set the pt 6x6 on to.
So important to keep that pt wood off the ground and, God Forbid, don't dig 2 foot holes and bury those posts! They will rot.

Wood is going to dry out pretty well in that nice shed.

Thanks for all the kind words...

Seems like the general consensus is I won't be too bad. After I start tapping into the wood and refilling after next season, I'm going to explore ways to create air gaps in the stacks. I really like the pallet between idea.

For the first time in my life, I'm finally ahead on my wood with 4 seasons on hand.

Reactions: coutufr
I really like your shed design. But with the thick and tall stacks, I'd expect very slow drying with much of the wood.

What about stacking a third of that wood in the shed, and the rest in more conventional stacks, topped with tarps?

I really like your shed design. But with the thick and tall stacks, I'd expect very slow drying with much of the wood.

What about stacking a third of that wood in the shed, and the rest in more conventional stacks, topped with tarps?

I did consider only using the outside two bays. I was thinking of setting up my maple syrup evaporator in the middle. If season time is too slow after this is emptied, I'll consider only using two bays and stacking one season conventionally outside the shed.

I’m in the same place as you. New shed packed tight with green wood. Hoping for the best. If I were you I would hook up a mower and clear out around the shed to increase air flow.

Interesting that the shed is so tall but you didn’t stack higher. Did you have a future use in mind?

I’m in the same place as you. New shed packed tight with green wood. Hoping for the best. If I were you I would hook up a mower and clear out around the shed to increase air flow.

Interesting that the shed is so tall but you didn’t stack higher. Did you have a future use in mind?

Plywood on top, a cooler full of beer and camouflage. The kids and wife will never find you! :)

That was my first thought after I got my posts up, that I went too high. I thought about lowering it a foot.

I used 8' and 12' posts, just seemed to work out. Gives clearance under the back header of just over 7'. My initial thought was to have plenty of room to walk under everything in the back, but I would have been just as happy if I lowered everything 1'.

I also wanted to be sure my F250 would fit under the front, which is does by over a foot. Next time, I'll stack the wood a little higher. Maybe up the stacks to 7'.

Good luck with your shed and your seasoning!

I'm guessing seasoning time will average out to be the same with or without a woodshed.

On one hand you lose the direct sun beating down on the wood, but the trade off is the wood will be more or less rain and snow-free, allowing the wind to work its magic.

i think it looks great. Honestly... 3 years is a good run, by then I think you'll be well seasoned. I'd be really surprised if it wasn't.

Seems like the general consensus is I won't be too bad.
As mentioned, species of wood will make a difference. What is it, or if it's a mix, what do you think the majority of the wood is?