Boilers Posted By Boilers, Mar 19, 2018 at 1:25 PM

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I just looked the T2 manual up...it doesn't actually say the 6' part...it shows it in the diagram, but then gives no spec for it. See how they show the plenum and first part of the duct being lower, then it goes up? That's your 6" (actually they say 5", spec C) 6" for 6' is a solid fuel furnace standard though...so even though they don't spell it out, I'd do their listed 5" for 6'.
    I see what you mean about the duct length stuff...it gets complicated...I'd make sure your dad (or whoever does your duct runs) reads through this part of the manual real well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    There is always a risk of fire with a solid fuel appliance. You mitigate the risk by following the manual’s requirements. Some people never trust their installs and some are so brazen that they violate the requirements and sleep well. Some others just trust the professional (sometimes smart sometimes dumb).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I was at Menerds tonite...the T2 is available to be ordered now, and the Heatpro is listed on their website too, but they say they can't actually order it yet...they said since its seasonal, it should available in the next few weeks, also said sometimes the seasonal stuff just kinda trickles in here n there at first.

4. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    So what is the burn time of the Tundra II? Still have the HYC in the basement and nothing was done to correct any issues.

Also if you don’t mind me asking, how much did the stove set you back?

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Should be the same as a T1...6 hours run hard, 8 normally, 10-12 in mild weather...but it all depends on the heat load of your house.
    Price...https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/furnace-recommendation.168131/page-2#post-2275866

6. Boilers

Boilers
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 19, 2018
    Loc:
    Indiana
    Well my first fire went okay tonight. 6’ flue and 85 degree temps didn’t help my draft much. Had to keep the damper open just to keep the fire going. The blower kicked on probably 25 times in about a 2 hour span and it also stayed on for 3-5 minutes at a time. Seemed encouraging. Unfortunately every time I got a good secondary burn going and I closed the damper, I would have a full on smolder within 5 minutes or less. ( has to be due to low draft) Amazing watching the smoke go completely clear once I opened the damper and the secondaries got going again. I also heard one rather loud metal pop that has me a little concerned. Is this normal? Like it was loud enough to interrupt a conversation. There were lots of little pops and creaks.

Attached Files:

Highbeam and brenndatomu like this.
  7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Blower on n off is due to low static pressure, (at least partially) and low draft...pretty normal in these temps.
    The loud pop...not "normal", but not uncommon either...have had it happen myself, on more than one model stove...look it over good, but its more than likely fine.

8. Boilers

Boilers
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 19, 2018
    Loc:
    Indiana
    Flue pipe self inspection tonight was a bit interesting. I’ve only lived here a few months, but quickly learned there was no cap on the flue (rainwater and washed out creosote on the basement floor) Thankfully there’s a floor drain within 2 feet. Previous owner left the trim ring portion of the cap on, but not the rain cover for the main tube. Trim ring did cover the air gap between 2nd and 3rd pipe layer. I took this ring off and found some corrosion but everything seems sound. Thoughts?

See picture.

I put another 9” section of pipe on to get closer to the 3’ clearance over the peak (probably still only 2.5’) and then a new rain cap. See picture.

Attached Files:

9. ratsrepus

ratsrepus
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 5, 2018
    Loc:
    Howell, Mi
    I heard the Kuma is good, I would look at the the energy King through Empire distributing, they had the first EPA forced air furnace, called the 385. My first go around with wood furnaces was a Fire Chief, big red mother, I sold that and went to a Charmaster. wasn't impressed with that either. I did make alot of creosote.

10. woodey

woodey
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 8, 2018
    Loc:
    canton ny
    You heard right. I have had the Kuuma VF100 for the past 2 winters and have been more than satisfied. Great furnace.