Garden Thread 2023!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This past weekend we raked the Mellon patce and garden, cut do2n the asparagus stalks.. getting ready for planting in roughly 45 days. Last Thursday I moved all the seedlings into the greenhouse.

The seedlings were a little small as its been super cloudy and raining. Thursday started a strung of sunny days. Greenhouse temperatures were 90 degrees inside with 20% humidity. I hit them with a liquid 5-15-30 Greenhouse temperatures is set to 60 degrees at night time.. Theres definitely an improvement in size..

We will be sowing the lettuce watermelon and cantaloupe this weekend. This should finish what we will have to plant

Reactions: clancey
I need to chop down my tiny Tim’s and repurpose the aerogardens.
Can you post a picture of them before the chopping? Ours are done. Time to start another as a patio plant. I'm thinking of a second iDoo dedicated to just tomatoes next fall. We really like the fresh lettuce too and it's just too crowded in one iDoo, even with 12 holes. Actually, what I've learned is that wide spacing for mature plants is more important than lots of holes. I knew this as a gardener but fooled myself into believing I could grow more intensely indoors. Looking at something that is wider, but less deep for next fall.

I cleared out the iDoo yesterday and harvested a nice bunch of basil. It's now seeded with summer plants.
The sugar snap peas are starting to poke up out of their starting pots. I need to get set up for them soon. Last year they grew to over 6 ft tall and caught me by surprise. I got half of the onions planted. Still need to plant the Redwings.

Last edited:
Just adding water/nutrients and keeping ph close to 6.

Got busy they past 3 weeks and haven’t started anything else.

C027BE7A-BA51-4B0B-A28D-68F845FE7CB9.jpeg 2F85C3C3-4A89-4833-9603-58D4986C1468.jpeg

Reactions: clancey and begreen
Can you post a picture of them before the chopping? Ours are done. Time to start another as a patio plant. I'm thinking of a second iDoo dedicated to just tomatoes next fall. We really like the fresh lettuce too and it's just too crowded in one iDoo, even with 12 holes. Actually, what I've learned is that wide spacing for mature plants is more important than lots of holes. I knew this as a gardener but fooled myself into believing I could grow more intensely indoors. Looking at something that is wider, but less deep for next fall.

I cleared out the iDoo yesterday and harvested a nice bunch of basil. It's now seeded with summer plants.
The sugar snap peas are starting to poke up out of their starting pots. I need to get set up for them soon. Last year they grew to over 6 ft tall and caught me by surprise. I got half of the onions planted. Still need to plant the Redwings.
There are 2 TTS in each Aerogarden. 1 mint is in the right Aerogarden with the tomatoes.

17888A81-2CB1-4CB0-A67D-CA4CD31587F1.jpeg

Reactions: clancey and begreen
Has anyone ever propagates tomatoes from cuttings?

Yes.. its pretty easy.. they have preformed root Initials.. Iv even done cuttings with flowers already on them. I perfer not to use suckers.. Take your cutting and place in a glass of water youll have roots in 7 day's.. I Prefer it to be partial sun and not alot of heat untill its rooted

Reactions: clancey and EbS-P
I’ve tried. Unsuccessful so far, but I’ll probably pull the rooting hormone out and try again with those plants.

A couple of raised beds are on the plan for this spring. We don't do a large garden. Need to keep it close to the House as the Deer population would wipe out anything further away.

I’ve tried. Unsuccessful so far, but I’ll probably pull the rooting hormone out and try again with those plants.

So with tomatos you dont neet to do that.. the root Initials are already there.. to be successful you need to make sure you dont stress the cutting.. lots of sunlight and heat are your enemy.. What I do this I don't even put the cutting in the greenhouse.. it gous on the windowsill foe a week.. Ill see if I can dig up a picture

Just a cup of water? Do you pull leaves off or anything?

Im sorry.. but I cant fined any of my pictures.. I believe that I posted the results in the garden thread probably july of 2021.. Yes just a cup with tap water to start.. no full sun keep all the leaves have about 4/5inches of branch in the water wait 7 to 10 days and pot up.. but do not put the plant into sunlight yet.. water and wait 3 days for the root hairs to cling to the soil

Reactions: clancey and EbS-P
The ones on the left probably around october,the ones on the right were around November. I tried to get them to space out the fruiting.

Has anyone ever propagates tomatoes from cuttings?
I do it not infrequently. I agree with @Woodsplitter67 that sheltering them from too much sun and heat is important. Sometimes I bring them indoors, but I’ll also keep them outdoors under shelter of some sort.

I went back a couple of years into the garden thread and found a photo of a couple of jars full of tomato prunings that I had cut and kept in water under a table on our deck. It’s the first picture in post #156. They were pretty big cuttings because I had let the plants get away from me, and I pruned out some pretty big suckers. Once they rooted out, I moved them into more sunshine for hardening off. I gave them to my neighbors (I think it was 22 plants in the end), and they and we enjoyed lots of tomatoes from them that year.

I do it not infrequently. I agree with @Woodsplitter67 that sheltering them from too much sun and heat is important. Sometimes I bring them indoors, but I’ll also keep them outdoors under shelter of some sort.

I went back a couple of years into the garden thread and found a photo of a couple of jars full of tomato prunings that I had cut and kept in water under a table on our deck. It’s the first picture in post #156. They were pretty big cuttings because I had let the plants get away from me, and I pruned out some pretty big suckers. Once they rooted out, I moved them into more sunshine for hardening off. I gave them to my neighbors (I think it was 22 plants in the end), and they and we enjoyed lots of tomatoes from them that year.

So.. I completely suck at this... how do I look up the 2020 garden thread.. I have a couple pictures Id like to pull up regarding the tomato rooting.. I posted like in july

So.. I completely suck at this... how do I look up the 2020 garden thread.. I have a couple pictures Id like to pull up regarding the tomato rooting.. I posted like in july
Search on tomato root cutting, your name, this forum only. Scroll down to select the thread, but I think these only go back to the 2021 Garden Thread.
Maybe this one?

Search on tomato root cutting, your name, this forum only. Scroll down to select the thread, but I think these only go back to the 2021 Garden Thread.
Maybe this one?

That is it thank you.. I didnt see the picture I was looking for, I thought that I posted. I thought I posted one with the roots out of the cuo.. hopefully I remember how to look something up next time

No problem. Tomatoes are easy to start from cuttings. Here is a short video on the technique.

I spent a long time on Saturday watering the existing crops in the garden, transplanting in tomatoes, peppers, and Red Noodle yardlong beans, and then watering those in. Some previous transplants, Woods Mountain Crazy Beans, had gotten a little crispy on their bottom leaves (we had some really dry air, which allows more intense sunshine, too, and they probably hadn’t had so much intense sunshine during their hardening off period), so I wanted to make sure that I gave all the plants lots of water.

We had a harvest of peppers from the Aerogarden tonight. There are still a half dozen green ones on the plant. My son took this picture for me while I was cutting and seeding them in order to make bacon-wrapped stuffed jalapeños for our dinner this evening. I used a mixture of cream cheese and white cheddar for the filling, and I added a piece of garden-fresh asparagus to each before wrapping them. Our family had never had those before. We enjoyed them pretty well. We had frozen grapefruit slices for dessert. That was a nice way to tame the residual heat.

191EB494-27AF-4A8F-93CE-008C9A1CC77D.jpeg

Haven't been on here lately. I've been cutting down on my computer time now that the weather is getting better, and just because I spend too much time on the computer. Just caught up reading a few pages of posts. I see you all have been busy. Clancy, a greenhouse for you? You'll love it.

After getting hardly any snow all winter, we got dumped on 3 times in March. Seems like one snowfall would melt and the next one would come along. The last 2 weeks have been snow free.

This month, we took the greenhouse down to get ready for the new one.

014.jpg
The red box will be the footprint of the new greenhouse. Just have to remove the pathway slates now.
026.jpg

The site preparation company will be here on April 6 to level and install a 6x6 frame with gravel interior. Then we can start building the new greenhouse.

Planted two more apple trees down in the Food Forest, a Liberty and a Freedom variety.

Started leveling and filling a few of the raised beds down in the FF, too.

012-Mar_29.jpg

Logs to be covered with saw dust, then wood chips, then compost, then soil. It will take a while to get all 9 filled; some will probably not see plants until next year.
013-Mar_29.jpg

Finished the late winter pruning of all our fruit trees and added "spreaders" where needed to begin training the branches. I'm am feeling much more comfortable pruning the fruit trees after watching a ton of "how to" videos.

010-Mar_22.jpg

I haven't started any seeds yet. Usually, I start them the first day of Spring, but this year I don't have my greenhouse, so I will start them inside. I won't be able to start as many. I have room for about 90. I usually start about 200 or more in the greenhouse to give everything an early start. Some will have to be direct seeded this year. I also decided to start them later because I had to up-pot my tomatoes last year they got so big before I could move them outside. I'm going to wait until the first week of April this year.

Still doing Spring cleaning all around the yard from the winter. Daffodils are just beginning to open.

Hope you all are well.

Last edited:
Nice Dan. Yes, it's time to get to work outside.

What is your impression of the raised bed containers now that they are up? Do you think they will last 5 yrs, 10 yrs.? I will be adding beds to our main garden soon. We'll be adding a new area starting next week to consolidate our gardens. I have to decide between the known concrete walled beds like we already have, or something different.

What is your impression of the raised bed containers now that they are up? Do you think they will last 5 yrs, 10 yrs.? I will be adding beds to our main garden soon. We'll be adding a new area starting next week to consolidate our gardens. I have to decide between the known concrete walled beds like we already have, or something different.
I think they will last at least 5-10 years if not longer. They have an Aluzinc coating: 55% aluminium, 43.3% zinc and 1.6% silicon. From what I have read from the companies that sell them and just in general about Aluzinc, the composition of this coating makes the steel up to an six times more resistant to corrosion than standard galvanized metals. The company that has been making them the longest (Birdies, see Epic Gardening website) states they have customers that have been using them for over 10 years and they are still in good shape.

The plants in the greenhouse are really coming along. Mid to late February was nothing but cloudy rainy days with oily a couple of sunny days here and there. We've had some cloudy days here and there but no long stretches. Finally got enough nutrients in my plants now that I able to water a little more regularly. Ill take some pictures tomorrow.. I may be able to plant in a month..