Garden Thread 2023!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
@Dan Freeman, good to hear from you. I had hoped that it was just the busy schedule of the approaching garden season that was keeping you away for a while.

@EbS-P , nice job on the tomatoes. How are you handling the pollination?

Reactions: clancey
@Dan Freeman, good to hear from you. I had hoped that it was just the busy schedule of the approaching garden season that was keeping you away for a while.

@EbS-P , nice job on the tomatoes. How are you handling the pollination?
I did a few of the first ones with a q tip. Now I just go and tap the tower for 30 seconds every day and give them a good shake.

I think they will last at least 5-10 years if not longer. They have an Aluzinc coating: 55% aluminium, 43.3% zinc and 1.6% silicon. From what I have read from the companies that sell them and just in general about Aluzinc, the composition of this coating makes the steel up to an six times more resistant to corrosion than standard galvanized metals. The company that has been making them the longest (Birdies, see Epic Gardening website) states they have customers that have been using them for over 10 years and they are still in good shape.
I visited the site and looked at their raised beds. For our location most are too small unless I get a lot of them, twice what was planned for, and many are too tall. I will cast a broader net today and see what our options are. We may just order more concrete beds. They will outlast us all, are customizable, and may end up costing less. We start putting up the retaining wall for the new bed area on Tuesday, so I need to get this plan finalized soon.

Last edited:
Very high wind today and two fences went down so keep an eye on weather--real bad wind so just be alert in your area.. I had computer problems and just got back my trusty old computer. clancey

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Ok.. so hwre we are.. Got some pictures...dont laugh Some plants are still small.

The onion are in good shape and there is on flat you cant see inder the shelf on the floor. The tomato is moving along, the peppers are decent size one flat is on the small size, the eggplant, cilantro, are still small, some had to be replanted the seeds never germinated. The cantaloupe and watermelon just came up as well as some additional celery

and of course its raining

20230401_100642.jpg 20230401_100655.jpg 20230401_100703.jpg 20230401_101549.jpg 20230401_101553.jpg

Looking at this as an alternative. I like the 17" depth and can get them in 4'x8' configuration.
Amazon product ASIN B09T37YD53
Two of the 9 I have were made by VEGO, like your Amazon find. They appear just as good as the Birdies beds. I also have 2 made by Forever Gardens, so take a look at their current pricing as well.

Reactions: clancey and begreen
Looking at this as an alternative. I like the 17" depth and can get them in 4'x8' configuration.
Amazon product ASIN B09T37YD53
Just checked the Vego site. The beds you mentioned are automatically $30 less (like with the Amazon coupon) but on the Vego site you can get a coupon (pop up after a few seconds) for another 5% off and free shipping.

Reactions: begreen and clancey
I decided to move the tower garden outside. Freezing temps have passed (it’s on wheels and the garage door is basically zero entry).

I had about 300w of lights on it for 16 hours a day. It was costing 20$ a month. My car only costs me 30-40$ a month to charge at home.

I did a pretty aggressive pruning yesterday. Trying to tame the wildness a bit. Looked in there and I have 4 eggplants 3 Swiss chard and I think one poblano pepper. With the 14 tomatoes. Fruit is setting on now for both varieties.

It’s been fun. Couple take aways. Tomoatoes and leafy salad just grow. I’m having trouble and not enough time to figure out why other plants aren’t doing as well cilantro is doing good too.

9E65D9B4-56F0-4CE7-AF95-303FAFADE2DF.jpeg

Just checked the Vego site. The beds you mentioned are automatically $30 less (like with the Amazon coupon) but on the Vego site you can get a coupon (pop up after a few seconds) for another 5% off and free shipping.
I ended up ordering from Vego. We got an additional 7% off via CapitalOne. The beds will be arriving on Tuesday. Meanwhile, the preparations for the new bed area have been going quickly.
IMG_3362.jpg70232222676__2B7365F5-77F8-47CA-90F7-F4A7E2369735.jpg70235078785__41920C3E-65B3-48BD-A864-5518BD449CFD.jpg

I will make a collage video of the process, but I just wanted to share these 2 pictures.

The first one taken around 10am this morning.
The second taken around 1:45 this afternoon.
View attachment 311791View attachment 311792

Just as an idea you my want to think about adding pavers on top of the stone base. A darker color like red or brown. Putting the paver will add thermal mass. the sun will heat the pavers during the day as well as the stone underneath, When the sun goes down the heat is released. Its just another way to keep the heating bill of the greenhouse down.. it also makes cleanup alot easier. In my greenhouse it takes a good while for the heat to come on after the sun sets

I am glad that you have this project on the time table like stated before. I am also glad you did not try to do this yourself regarding your ribs. Looking pretty good. clancey

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Thanks. That's why I had them add an additional 4x6 on top of the frame. That will give me 3.5 inches for stone dust and pavers.

Here's the entire process of the foundation build:

Are you doing a small solar array to run the fans in the greenhouse

Are you doing a small solar array to run the fans in the greenhouse
No, I decided to go with the recommended fan and intake for this greenhouse:

J&D Manufacturing 20" shutter fan and a 24" powered intake shutter.

ES-Shutter_1800x1800.pngintakeShutterVent_700.jpg

I already have a J&D Manufacturing 18" recirculation fan from my old greenhouse.

POW-18_White_1800x1800.png

Regarding your earlier post, I just ordered the pavers I am going to use.: 8" x 4" x 2" Red/Charcoal Concrete patio stone. I went with this one because I like the brick look and they are on sale until next week for $0.25 each. I order 1334 and 48 bags of paver sand that will give me a 1" layer of sand on top of the 5" of the gravel base.

001.jpg

No, I decided to go with the recommended fan and intake for this greenhouse:

J&D Manufacturing 20" shutter fan and a 24" powered intake shutter.

View attachment 311819

View attachment 311820

I already have a J&D Manufacturing 18" recirculation fan from my old greenhouse.

View attachment 311822

Regarding your earlier post, I just ordered the pavers I am going to use.: 8" x 4" x 2" Red/Charcoal Concrete patio stone. I went with this one because I like the brick look and they are on sale until next week for $0.25 each. I order 1334 and 48 bags of paver sand that will give me a 1" layer of sand on top of the 5" of the gravel base.

View attachment 311823

I have 1 side vent and 2 top vents on solar automatic openers.. no fans except the solar ones and at night I run a small dehumidifier to Circulate the air and keep the humidity down.. how are you heating

Do you use a shade cloth on the greenhouse's south side during peak heat?

I have 1 side vent and 2 top vents on solar automatic openers.. no fans except the solar ones and at night I run a small dehumidifier to Circulate the air and keep the humidity down.. how are you heating

I haven't decided on any active heat source yet. I am incorporating 5 passive heat sources/insulators as of now.
1. 425 gallon pond
2. Swedish skirt insulation (https://ceresgs.com/solar-greenhouse-basics-insulating-your-foundation/) pink board insulation around the outside perimeter
002.jpg

3. Insolcorp Phase Change Material tiles https://insolcorp.com/products/greenhouse-agriculture/
4. The brick pavers
5. The poly carb panels are 16mm triple-wall.

In my old greenhouse, I only ever used an oil filled radiator heater during the shoulder seasons.

So I dont use my greenhouse year round.. I use it starting in March to the end of April. This is for my garden plants to get started.. Id spend a ton of money every spring on the purchase of plants. Iv figured out that it now costs me less then .25 cents to grow a plant that they would sell for 5 bucks

I use the greenhouse again starting in mid September. The extras.. like peppers will go in 3/5 gallon post and in june Ill.start the tomatoes that will go in the 5 gallon pots that will be put in the greenhouse in September also. I'll keep the greenhouse going until about January 1st

Iv enjoyed fresh tomatoes in salads the week of Christmas.. the plants start getting rough looking the beginning of December with the lack of sunlight and the production turns to crap.. so the end of December.. I pull the plug

I never did in my old greenhouse, but it had a front and back door and two huge roof vents. This greenhouse will have a front and back door, 4 large roof vents, and the exhaust fan that can exhaust the entire volume of air 1x per minute if it is needed. I do have shade cloth if I need it, though.

I haven't decided on any active heat source yet. I am incorporating 5 passive heat sources/insulators as of now.
1. 425 gallon pond
2. Swedish skirt insulation (https://ceresgs.com/solar-greenhouse-basics-insulating-your-foundation/) pink board insulation around the outside perimeter
View attachment 311828
3. Insolcorp Phase Change Material tiles https://insolcorp.com/products/greenhouse-agriculture/
4. The brick pavers
5. The poly carb panels are 16mm triple-wall.

In my old greenhouse, I only ever used an oil filled radiator heater during the shoulder seasons.

I dont know what your situation is.. My greenhouse is heated with electric baseboard heat. 1.. because My solar array is 18k yearly Kw production and covers 100% of my usage
2.. because running anything with a fan will increase the usage alot.. heating with electricity is free for me

If your on solar.. you may want to think of this

I dont know what your situation is.. My greenhouse is heated with electric baseboard heat. 1.. because My solar array is 18k yearly Kw production and covers 100% of my usage
2.. because running anything with a fan will increase the usage alot.. heating with electricity is free for me

If your on solar.. you may want to think of this
Unfortunately, I am not on solar.

Unfortunately, I am not on solar.

What about a wood boiler and Radiant floor heat.. a small Circulating pump will draw very little in electric and the wood you already have.. I considered this with mine