Getting the wood inside the house: IKEA bags

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonNeutral

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2009
Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
Until I can convince my wife to have the attached wood shed with door into the lounge:

Attached Wood Shed

I will have to persevere with schlepping the wood in across the yard. I have found that the big blue IKEA bags that cost about 75 cents work fantastically - no worries about them breaking and I didn't even begin to wear through one last season.

And for that price you can have multiple for the whole family to help out... ;-)

What do you use?

Attachments

• Getting the wood inside the house: IKEA bags
    blueikeabag.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 633
Condar canvas bag

I use a wagon. I stack about a weeks worth of wood in my fireplace opening. The fireplace is great for keeping down the mess on the floor and its right next to my wood stove.

Saddle bags for my Husky. Just kidding but I might try it now. ;-P I just carry it in, one load at a time. I have the kids wait by the door so they can open it for me.

Maybe I could train up the groundhog, red fox or the coyotes in the back yard. Maybe not the coyote.

Wagon or wheel barrow into the garage to the stockpile. I use a large crate or my arms to get it in the house.

I ordered one of these"

weatherguy said:
I ordered one of these"

Where from? - like the big bike wheels - great for my steps.

Actually, this is what I need:

Attachments

main-205.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 492
CarbonNeutral said:
weatherguy said:
I ordered one of these"

Where from? - like the big bike wheels - great for my steps.

Actually, this is what I need:

WOW!! That is truly very impressive. I can see the ad now:

No more scooping up after you walk your robodog/mule/horse, Just 1000 easy payments of $995.95!!!
Order now and receive a free panting module, with realistic bad breath odor.

Remember Robodog is guaranteed to never drink from the toilet (or he'll die).

WARNING: Robodog has been know to have problems with spontaneous combustion.

That was a fantastic job of programming that robot for sure. Not certain about how best to use something like that though. Can it carry a load? Lots of questions to be asked.

As for the cart, I would tend to mistrust the Harbor Freight one, but the one that weatherguy bought looks like it is built solid. I'm sure it also reflects on the price. I have thought about getting one of these too but have put it off. We use a 2 wheeled cart (like Garden Way Carts) for moving the wood from the pile to the porch and it works good but I'm thinking with this other one that you could go up stairs with it.

BS, there are a lot of guys here using the HF cart, it seems to be a proven product at this point.

I use the totes from Walmart or Lowes.

I can load 12 or so splits in one ... and the mess stays contained in the tote! My wife loves it!

kjayhawk said:
I use the totes from Walmart or Lowes.

I can load 12 or so splits in one ... and the mess stays contained in the tote! My wife loves it!

Right. ;-)

I hand truck the rounds/splits from the shed to our tote outside the back door once a day.

When wood is needed go outside, get two pieces, smack them together & they're clean.

If nasty outside then I pick from the wood rick next to the stove.

Wife likes this as there is no mess & its nice & warm in the house.

Keep the house clean & the wife won't scream,

thus causing yur wallet to be gleaned by the utility company. :lol:

This canvas bag while a little ratty is over 20 years old...if I see another one I'm gonna grab it.

westkywood said:
I use a wagon. I stack about a weeks worth of wood in my fireplace opening. The fireplace is great for keeping down the mess on the floor and its right next to my wood stove.

Hahah that what i started doing today, stacking wood on my fireplace mantel.

Canvas bag I took from my wife. No, not a purse, a heavy duty bag. LOL.

I have the HF cart. Works great.

Steve

Inspired by the carts above (and getting bored of multiple trips) I made the contraption below. You'll notice the detailed styling, exquisite paint job (wood veneer panels), comfort duct tape handle, and the way that I managed to design it like an old bike trailer.

The wheels could do with being larger as the steps up are a little too much hard work, but it fits through the doors fine.

Attachments

P1050881.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 172
Status
Not open for further replies.