Going to buy PE summit tomorrow unless I can be talked out of it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommybro

Hearth Supporter
Mar 18, 2008
Terryville, CT
Hi,
I am going to buy a PE summikt insert tomorrow unless anyone has any convincing arguments against it.

The deal I am getting is around $2450 for the insert ( just a black door like I wanted ) and around $400 for a 6" liner ran down my 25 ft chimney.

Do you this is a good deal? Is there something I should look out for?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Tom

I'm guessing this is from Superior Hearth and Leisure!!! I Bought my Quad 4100i from them (I'm from Bloomfield), if this is the case they are a good reputalble dealer and will install it right. I was looking at Pacific Energy or Quadrifire and went with the Quad, if I remember correctly for looks, both I think are good stoves.

This will be my fifth season burning and if any advise I can give you is to read everything you can from this forum. The first year I burned, didn't have any wood to burn and bought mine from someone locale, but wasn't quit seasoned. If you havn't got any wood yet you may have problems burning this first year untill you become a seasoned wood burner (you need seasoned dry wood) this forum will tell you that. I still buy from the same guy but get it in the fall for the next year.

Brian

I am getting this from Hocon Hearthworks in Winstead. The last one I brought I got from Stoves by Superior, I would NEVER do business with them again, their customer service was the pitts, I do not think it's the same place that you got yours from.

This time I shopped around quite a bit and the customer service here seems good and they are very knowlalagable about their products, the thing I liked about them if they did not know they would either look it up or tell you that they would find out, if they needed to find out they would get back to you quickly. Very happy so far

It is a good stove. It should make you very happy. Ditto on getting ahead on your wood!

Don't do it!...... I have one and it was the worst thing I could've done!
I am now addicted to this website , and anytime I see firewood its like a high!
And my summit has already paid for itself in savings in less than 3yrs...... and oh... its a great stove!

no one in their right mind would try to talk you outta this one... nice purchase!

OK it happened I got it went in and paid my $2500 for the insert and liner, got it in the room that the installer asked it be brought into. I sat for a while looking at the instructions and decided to go for it.

6 hours later I have a fire going !!!! The funny thing was before we started I asked my son ( 11 years old ) think we can do it, he replied that thing is heavy but we already moved it so yea we can.

We installed the liner, and insert and got evrything done, well we have one "extra part" that I hope someone with this insert can help with some pics of where it goes.

I know if there are no pictures it did not happen so those are below but, I did want to take a moment to say THANKS for the responses to this post and the others I have opened up on this project, your help was very much appreciated by both me and my family.

Without further delays here are the pics

Before big ugly hole in the wall
before.jpg

After nice burning insert

after.jpg

Here is the extra part if someone can please let me know where it goes, I think it's some kind of booster from looking at the manual but I'll be darned if I know where it goes, could be why my glass is a little foggy?
extrapart.jpg

Once again, thank you for the help, I probably would not have decided on this unit if it was not for the advice I got from this awesome site!

That looks like the boost manifold. It goes in the bottom front and it's important to get it in right. The holes face the fire. If uncertain, visit the dealer and look at a model with it already installed.

And congratulations on a successful purchase and install! Get that wood ready for fall. You will be burning in a month or so.

I had the same issue with that stupid plate. It sits in the bottom front of the unit. If you reach your hand in you will feel the holes that it needs to be aligned over. It sort of molds over the existing lip of the stove. Hope that helps.

Does it go in before or after the fire bricks, this is fustrating, can install a liner and the insert but can't figure out a stupid plate, I hate to go back to the dealer like a numbskull

Hang in there. The Summit Mafia will be along to take care of ya. %-P

BrotherBart said:
Hang in there. The Summit Mafia will be along to take care of ya. %-P

Pisshhaawww :)

It's a boost manifold, front of the stove, over the brick, holes facing into the back of the stove, and yes, it's why your glass is hazey. Well, either that or wet wood :0

Good choice on the stove, cant say the same about your choice of ballclub.

Good job. Did you end up paying for the install? $400 for a liner install sounds pretty good.

Did you get the plate in? If so take a pic so I can be sure mine is right, please..........stupid plate!!!!

Looks great on that big stone hearth, enjoy it.

SKIN052 said:
Did you get the plate in? If so take a pic so I can be sure mine is right, please..........stupid plate!!!!
Skin where have you been all summer, I thought we had that taken care of last spring. :)

tommybro said:
still can't figure it out, any way I position it it seems loose, very fustrating

Attachments

• P10002872.jpg
    P10002872.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 386
Status
Not open for further replies.