Got to use my new saw.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roundgunner

Feeling the Heat
Nov 26, 2013
Rural CT
Got a 461 for Christmas. Today was the first time I got to really give it a good workout. It pulls thru oak like butter. Big smiles all day.

IMAG0805_zpshbof5ogs.jpg

Nice toy gotta love those powerful big saws

I have only used my 460 to cut up 2 bigger trees so far. That thing is a beast, especially when I put the 20" on it. Still kicks butt with the 25" also

That's the great thing about having a big saw. They last forever because you only use them when you come across big wood. Only put my big saw through three trees, and six to eight tanks of fuel.

Reactions: D8Chumley
That's the great thing about having a big saw. They last forever because you only use them when you come across big wood. Only put my big saw through three trees, and six to eight tanks of fuel.
I think it depends on age. my first saw was a 026 then at 29 I got a ms460 the 026 barely got used for the next ten years. Once I hit 40 the 026 made a comeback now at 43 I'm probably 50/50 in run time. I see the 026 getting more and more use the older I get.

I think it depends on age. my first saw was a 026 then at 29 I got a ms460 the 026 barely got used for the next ten years. Once I hit 40 the 026 made a comeback now at 43 I'm probably 50/50 in run time. I see the 026 getting more and more use the older I get.

I hear you. Same here. My big saw gets very little use these days unless it's real big wood I use my 50cc.

Doesn't getting older suck ? I'm also in my 40s ya I feel fine but man handling a 11 lb saw especially for an entire day is much easier than 15 lbs. 4 or 5 pounds doesn't sound like much but those pounds ad up hour after hour.

That seems to be how it goes with having a bigger saw and a smaller saw. Unless cutting big wood the big saw usually sits. There is little reason to pull out a 100 cc saw with a 36 inch bar to cut 16 inch diameter logs. It still is fun but can be a lot of work. As they say right tool for the right job. But still cool to run a monster saw, maybe as I get older my thought process will change.

I might try it with the 20 inch bar just to see what it will do in over kill!

What bar is on it now? I run a 24,20,and 18 depending on what I'm cutting. The shorter the bar the quicker she cuts, how are you liking your saw so far. I really love mine. I believe I purchased it in 2000 and hasn't missed a beat since it's a workhorse.

It has a 25 on it. I got it for large wood and noodling the bigs. I buck to 24", so big oak at 24" is very heavy for me unless I noodle. 60yo and do 15-18 cord a year mostly by myself.
DSC_0013_zpsc12ee428.jpg
IMAG0237_zpsc4ad3897.jpg
IMAG0246_zpsea467f3d.jpg
IMAG0125_zps94d3c68f.jpg.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Let us know how it feels after 10 or 15 tanks run through it. As strong running as it is now I bet it will be even more so when broken in.

How do you like the feel ? I was looking and see that saw is roughly 14.5 lbs that sounds like a reasonable weight for a 6hp saw. I may have to go look at one myself.

My big saw is a " small" big saw at 70cc but it's right there around 14.5 lbs. I did some stump work yesterday and had 3 large oaks roughly 30 to 36 inches around. Needed these stumps close to the ground and they had to be level as can be or else I'd hear about it. Anyways I only had my 24 inch bar with me. I got the job done but for the 1st time in a long time I was wishing for more power.

I really hate large stump work at times.

I've been buying Husky and Jonsered for awhile but I may go to the stihl dealer and check out a 461. I've got access to a couple 660s my buddy owns for his company so I can borrow bigger at any time if I needed but I still like to have my own.

Is that auto tune or Mtronic I guess stihl calls it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.