Hampton H200 or Jotul F3CB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecowboyIV

Jun 22, 2010
Central VA
I am considering the purchase of a wood stove for my two-story home (1100 sq. ft. on main level and 1000 sq. ft. on upper level). The stove would be centrally located on the main level. My goal is to heat the main level and whatever residual is able to reach the upstairs will be a bonus. A dealer in my area (central Virginia) has recommended the Hampton H200 and also showed me the Jotul F3CB.

Hoping to get opinions on the likes and dislikes of both stoves from owners or more experienced folks on this site.

Ive sold both and have gotten primarily good feedback on both. I think the 3CB has a slightly larger firebox. The H200 has a true convection system in it. This may be a little more useful since your looking to get some heat to move upstairs. Keep in mind though, these are both small stoves with less than overnight burns, so there may be only a little extra heat to play with.

spacecowboyIV said:
I am considering the purchase of a wood stove for my two-story home (1100 sq. ft. on main level and 1000 sq. ft. on upper level). The stove would be centrally located on the main level. My goal is to heat the main level and whatever residual is able to reach the upstairs will be a bonus. A dealer in my area (central Virginia) has recommended the Hampton H200 and also showed me the Jotul F3CB.

Hoping to get opinions on the likes and dislikes of both stoves from owners or more experienced folks on this site.

I would go a little larger.

I recently bought a used H200 and Im really impressed with how its built. If cost were the same I would probably get the Jotul just for the fact that it has a larger firebox (site claims an 18" log) H200 is 16" so you have to be a little more selective if youre buying your wood already cut

I believe both stoves are high quality from what Ive researched. The cost would probably factor a lot into the final decision (doesent it always)

I'd get the F400 Castine or the H300 if the intent is to heat more than just evenings and weekends.

Been thinking on this one. Central VA can get some cold weather rolling down from Ohio. I've owned both the F3CB and the Castine. The F3CB is a nice little stove, but it will need refilling frequently. Don't expect to get much more than a couple/few hours out of the stove when it's cold outside and you are pushing it. The Castine will burn about 5-6 hrs, pushed and about 8hrs. overnight if not. It has a nicer fit and finish in the door latch and air control, plus it takes a larger log and has a reasonably good ash pan system. This is the baseline for what I would consider.

That said, from someone with the same size house in a mild climate that went through several upgrades, if 24/7 serious heating is what is desired, I would start at the F500 Oslo unless the area where the stove is located is closed off from the rest of the house by doors. That's because with an open floorplan and centrally located stove, more heat than you think may head upstairs. If so, the Oslo is better suited to heating 2100 sq ft.

PS: I am now burning in a 3 cu ft stove with no complaints. Local dealer said it would drive us out of the house. I ignored him. With the T6 we have never been overheated, even with milder temps. The house has an open floorplan that naturally allows for good heat distribution. Upstairs and downstairs temps are usually within 5 degrees of each other. A 100cfm ecofan helps even it out 1st floor temps towards the kitchen. BrotherBart is also heating with a 3 cu ft stove in central VA.

PPS: Welcome to the forum and kudos for locating the stove on the first floor centrally. What ever you get, this is a good place to start.

BeGreen said:
I'd get the F400 Castine or the H300 if the intent is to heat more than just evenings and weekends.

BG, wisdom as always...

BeGreen said:
Been thinking on this one. Central VA can get some cold weather rolling down from Ohio. I've owned both the F3CB and the Castine. The F3CB is a nice little stove, but it will need refilling frequently. Don't expect to get much more than a couple/few hours out of the stove when it's cold outside and you are pushing it. The Castine will burn about 5-6 hrs, pushed and about 8hrs. overnight if not. It has a nicer fit and finish in the door latch and air control, plus it takes a larger log and has a reasonably good ash pan system. This is the baseline for what I would consider.

That said, from someone with the same size house in a mild climate that went through several upgrades, if 24/7 serious heating is what is desired, I would start at the F500 Oslo unless the area where the stove is located is closed off from the rest of the house by doors. That's because with an open floorplan and centrally located stove, more heat than you think may head upstairs. If so, the Oslo is better suited to heating 2100 sq ft.

PS: I am now burning in a 3 cu ft stove with no complaints. Local dealer said it would drive us out of the house. I ignored him. With the T6 we have never been overheated, even with milder temps. The house has an open floorplan that naturally allows for good heat distribution. Upstairs and downstairs temps are usually within 5 degrees of each other. A 100cfm ecofan helps even it out 1st floor temps towards the kitchen. BrotherBart is also heating with a 3 cu ft stove in central VA.

PPS: Welcome to the forum and kudos for locating the stove on the first floor centrally. What ever you get, this is a good place to start.

Just let the record show, I said this first but I didnt it with fewer words. BG stole my idea, and used it to bargain for a hostage release which he in turn traded to the brits for the oil contract they were recently awarded based on merit.

I agree with above, go with the Castine, or look for something else bigger. The H200 is 1.3 cuft, the H300 is still only 1.7 cuft. Too small to get a decent overnight burn with good heat.

Did not! I traded it to the Norwegians! :lol:

Thanks for all the great replies so far.

With a bigger stove in mind (seems like recommended a bigger stove on this site is just par for the course), I'm thinking around a 2 cubic foot firebox, but stove height is an issue as i'm trying to fit inside an existing fireplace hearth without modifying the masonry. I have an opening of only 29" from top to bottom to fit the new flue through.

Would an insert be a better option? I'm not too concerned with power outages as they are infrequent in the area (knock on wood) and I have a generator that could run the fan if desperation set in.

Thoughts???

get an insert if you have the fp space to fit a nice midsize unit... I alwayts hated seeing stoves stuffed inside a fp. the bricks suck up all the heat...

summit said:
the bricks suck up all the heat...

I can't argue with that statement.

Centrally located in the house. Is this an interior chimney? If so, I wouldn't be as concerned about the bricks soaking up the heat. It will be slow released into the house overnight.

Pictures would help if you have 'em.

Do you have the measurements for the opening (W H D etc)? Is it a floor or raised hearth? I wanted to do something similar (put a FS stove in a fireplace opening) and abandoned the idea once I started loooking at good sized inserts.

Our opening was something like 27"H and we had no problem getting a large inset in there (the installer had skinny hand to get the screws into the liner tho)

Get your opening dimensions and start shopping them around various manufacturer's sites to see what will fit. Also check the clearances to see if you have any issues with your surroundings etc.

I have the Hampton 300 and this stove would do a nice job in your home (the 200 is too small imo). The only problem is you'll only get a 4 hour max burn overnight with the H300. The H200 would be even less. Hamptons are good looking stoves, but the box is pretty small to hold big loads. I'm certain on a cold night the H300 would do a competent job of heating your square footage both up and down with a central location (of course your home configuration would be extremely important for final determination). Your only big problem would be the overnight burn. Can't speak for other stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.