Have you bought for the season yet??? With Poll!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Where do you fit in "The when do you buy your pellets" poll

• I buy when I have room-Limited space-Don't let the stash get low= I just love buying so much I can't

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a bunch of saw dust and a food dehydrator and I'm rolling my own pellets this year. I started last night and I have 15 lbs so far.Hope the cold weather holds off.

I file income taxes early. As soon as I get the checks it's pellet time.

Last year 6 tons of LG Granules (1 left)
This year 4 tons Somerset

All set until next May.

I did the early bird buy. Purchased 3 ton of Hamers. Picked up a half ton of Okies on Craigslist. Then last month I won a ton of NEWP. I will be set for awhile. Just to let everyone know Primo Pellet in Wallingford CT is selling Hamers again for $224 a ton till the end of the month. Here's the link. http://www.primopellets.com/ :)

buildingmaint said:
I bought a bunch of saw dust and a food dehydrator and I'm rolling my own pellets this year. I started last night and I have 15 lbs so far.Hope the cold weather holds off.

buildingmaint, I seem to remember you getting the hamers again this year. I think it was something like 4 tons?? Nice try but your one of the early buy people. Come on admit it. :lol:

Rolling ones own might be a good choice, But the pellet mills are so darn pricey. You would need to morgage the farm to get started. Hey, But someday maybe! Yes I did look into one, But leary of the china model!

j-takeman said:
ironpony said:
we went super hog.........
22 tons delivered to our storage
2 of us went together
set for sevaral heating seasons
bought direct from manufacturer

I did not think of that one(Stuffed to the rafters!). Super hog has a nice ring!

What brand did you cache in on??(if you don't mind me asking :) )

somerset, we are in ohio so trucking was reasonable

ironpony said:
j-takeman said:
ironpony said:
2 of us went together

I did not think of that one(Stuffed to the rafters!). Super hog has a nice ring!

That's some of the good stuff there! I could not imagine trying to snuggle up to 11 tons of pellets! :)

j-takeman said:
ironpony said:
j-takeman said:
ironpony said:
2 of us went together

That's some of the good stuff there! I could not imagine trying to snuggle up to 11 tons of pellets! :)

No, no, no Jay, you burn the pellets and snuggle up to the wife.

j-takeman said:
.......trying to snuggle up to 11 tons of pellets! :)

If Jay's wife hears about this, he might just find himself snuggling in the doghouse!! :lol:

3 tons of Firesides at $204.00 a ton.

j-takeman said:
ironpony said:
j-takeman said:
ironpony said:
2 of us went together

I was thinking draining the hot tub and filling it with pellets
then sliding down into it

ironpony said:
j-takeman said:
ironpony said:
j-takeman said:
ironpony said:
2 of us went together

I was thinking draining the hot tub and filling it with pellets
then sliding down into it

Ouch! you should keep H2O in it if you know what good for you (or less painful anyway)

Last month I bought 2 tons of somersets, all stacked and ready to go.

-Still not done with the wood yet!

2 tons of Barefoots stored in the cellar. Looking to purchase at least a ton of Oakies in the near future to try out.

UPDATE on my pellet rolling , I had the saw dust dumped in my neighbors side yard, they seemed a little put out about it , but I didn't want to kill my grass with the pile. So any way we had a big wind storm last night, and when I woke up , someone had stolen my pile of saw dust. Can you believe it ???? I called the cops and they didn't seem to impressed with my claim that it had been stolen. So I started following the trail that they left when they took it. I must of followed it 5 miles , then it got dark and I got tired. I'll pick up the trail first thing in the morning , around 3 o'clock in the afternoon. As god is my witness I'll find the clown who stole my saw dust . I did hear one of my neighbors say they saw some of it going by their window.

Paralysis by analysis this year for
whatever reason. Buddy tried to talk me into HD junk, but I don't like babysitting that much. Think I'm almost there though. Leaning towards mixed delivery of 2.6t of okies, 1.2t of Spruce pt, and 1t Turman. Should give me some good analysis.

Dellpoint Europa- Den
Enviro Empress- Livingroom

long ranch

Blackngold122112 said:
whatever reason. Buddy tried to talk me into HD junk, but I don't like babysitting that much. Think I'm almost there though. Leaning towards mixed delivery of 2.6t of okies, 1.2t of Spruce pt, and 1t Turman. Should give me some good analysis.

Dellpoint Europa- Den

long ranch
how long you had the Dellpoint [gassifier]? any probs? more efficient?

4 tons delivered yesterday @ $199/ton(Friday the 13th)
These are the "New" Athens. I burned 4 bags last Spring before buying.
Almost ready for Winter. Still have to haul them into the basement.

BLIMP said:
Blackngold122112 said:

Dellpoint Europa- Den

long ranch
how long you had the Dellpoint [gassifier]? any probs? more efficient?

2nd season. Picked it up used. The most efficient stove made. Great burn Chamber design. Throws off awesome heat. I highly recommend it if you can get ur hands on a used one for around 1500. Had small prob with harmonics from install. Realigned exhaust to back port to connect dead on and problem solved. If I have a problem I call the Claude who designed the stove for tech help eh...... Nice

3 tons of Okies in the garage, need 2 more, good pellets are just to expensive any where near the city

Maybe the pellet fairy will leave me 2 tons in the back yard, or my 3 tons will have puppies and then I will have to many,

I got some imagination!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haven't been on the fourms for some time but thinking about the upcoming winter. I bought 4 tons last year and had 42 bags left. This year I purchased another 3 tons of Wood Pellet Company hardwood pellets. My stove doesn't mind the longer pellets from this company and I get good heat from them.

I have a half ton left over from last year and will buy another 2 tons later this fall. Around here the stored don't stock them untill Sept. or Oct.
There is one place that likely has them in stock already but their prices won't fluctuate any so buying early won't save me any money. I normally buy a ton at a time as i don't have room in the garage for 2.5 tons all at once so I'll buy 1 ton in Oct. and that will last me untill around first of Jan. (with the half ton i already have) and then I'll pick up another ton after the first of the year.
So i chose #5

Picked up 2 tons of ACP's at $229/ton

Been reading various posts about these pellets being bad and all...but my other choice is marketing and manufacturing pellets for another 10 bucks OR the big box stores charging 275 if buying 2 tons and thats for green team and one other I cant recall.

Anything over 250/ton just doesnt makes sense compared to alternatives like nat gas,coal,split wood.

I did think the pennington pellets were much better than the green team where heat and ash are concerned - hopefully the acp's are not worse than the gt's.

-John

jjs777_fzr said:
Picked up 2 tons of ACP's at $229/ton

Been reading various posts about these pellets being bad and all...but my other choice is marketing and manufacturing pellets for another 10 bucks OR the big box stores charging 275 if buying 2 tons and thats for green team and one other I cant recall.

Anything over 250/ton just doesnt makes sense compared to alternatives like nat gas,coal,split wood.

I did think the pennington pellets were much better than the green team where heat and ash are concerned - hopefully the acp's are not worse than the gt's.

-John

Hopefully they have improved, But last year the ACP were just barely in the premium standards. I burned both and the GT's were much better then the ACP's. But we buy what we can afford to burn. Or use an alternitive choice.

Please let me know how they burn fo you?

jjs777_fzr said:
Picked up 2 tons of ACP's at $229/ton.......Anything over 250/ton just doesnt makes sense compared to alternatives like nat gas,coal,split wood.......

John, I have my fingers crossed for you...ACP's have NOT been good since I've started burning pellets a few years ago.

Also, what did you mean by "my other choice is marketing and manufacturing pellets for another 10 bucks" ??

As for the cost of pellets vs. nat. gas, coal, cordwood, etc, have you actually plugged in the numbers for what you can buy them all for and actually crunched the numbers to show which gives the most BTU's per $$ in your area?

Try this:

http://pelletheat.org/pellets/compare-fuel-costs/

or

http://energy.cas.psu.edu/EnergySelector.html

Don't forget to adjust the efficiency #'s if you know them....otherwise the ones posted are good ballpark figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.