Have you bought for the season yet??? With Poll!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Where do you fit in "The when do you buy your pellets" poll

• I buy when I have room-Limited space-Don't let the stash get low= I just love buying so much I can't

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
imacman said:
jjs777_fzr said:
Picked up 2 tons of ACP's at $229/ton.......Anything over 250/ton just doesnt makes sense compared to alternatives like nat gas,coal,split wood.......

John, I have my fingers crossed for you...ACP's have NOT been good since I've started burning pellets a few years ago.

Also, what did you mean by "my other choice is marketing and manufacturing pellets for another 10 bucks" ??

As for the cost of pellets vs. nat. gas, coal, cordwood, etc, have you actually plugged in the numbers for what you can buy them all for and actually crunched the numbers to show which gives the most BTU's per $$ in your area?

Try this:

http://pelletheat.org/pellets/compare-fuel-costs/

or

http://energy.cas.psu.edu/EnergySelector.html

Don't forget to adjust the efficiency #'s if you know them....otherwise the ones posted are good ballpark figures.

Pete there is a brand called Marketing & manufacturing pellets(we call them M&M brand). They were available at BT Ent. last year. I burned 2 bags and found them to be just about middle of the road at best. But they did fair better than the ACP's I tried. yuk!

j-takeman said:
Pete there is a brand called Marketing & manufacturing pellets(we call them M&M brand)......

Never heard of them before....thanks Jay! ;-)

Looking to buy 1-2 tons this week/next week as i have time (i store my pellets in my basement which doesn't have a hatch way or windows. bag by bag manual labor of bringing them through the house :X)

I use just under 3 tons most seasons, so i'll bit my 3rd ton likely in feb/march area. I only have room to store about 2 tons, and i still have 10-odd bags left over from last season.

If pellets are going to compete with oil and NG this year the prices better get righteous. We are headed for another fairly inexpensive fuel cost winter.

All electric house for me. So its an easy no brainer! Pellets prices in CT are pretty low. I have not checked the fuel calc against oil or NG. But most of my friends have bought as much as they can stuff in! I think this depends on your region as far as pellet prices too.

J, where do you buy from? I'm bordering on the bristol.burlington line, so northwestern isn't too far from me (20 min to litchfiled/torrington/etc)

Pretty sure we get them at the same place BT Ent.

I also buy from CT Pellets. I like having two trusting dealers very close. I try to spread it fairly unless one has an amazing deal!

Not much to explain. Let the season tell the tale. Most people could care less about cost per BTU. What they want is steady energy costs and convenience. Cord wood is our sole heat source and that pellet stove is still sitting on the pallet in the basement. After two years. I wish we had NG available this year. I wouldn't touch a stick of wood and for sure wouldn't buy pellets.

At least your energy costs for making pellets will be reasonable this year.

Don't be dissing the other manufactures here please.

Waited until a summer sale. Bought four tons of Canadian Energex (third year) at $229 a ton and $30 delivery fee right into my garage. I'll need one more ton before the burning season is over, but I wanted to wait and try some other brands.

BTU said:
BrotherBart said:

I'm not "dissing" anybody. I'm just stating pure fact as told to me by several very reliable sources, most of which stocked ACP till they were told by the mill why they won't be able to order any more product for the coming season and the reasons why. If you find what I am saying to not be true, then please let me know. The question was asked in this thread if ACP were any good and in the spirit of "educating" our readers on this forum, I felt it was in their best interest to know the current state of affairs was with regards to ACP and why they might not be able to find more supply this winter....just the facts......

I picked up nothing but stated fact on this post BTU, I'm with you. Sorry Bart, I've never read anything but open minded opinion and fact from BTU I don't see how any of that could be construed as "dissing".

Werm said:
BTU said:
BrotherBart said:

I'm not "dissing" anybody. I'm just stating pure fact as told to me by several very reliable sources, most of which stocked ACP till they were told by the mill why they won't be able to order any more product for the coming season and the reasons why. If you find what I am saying to not be true, then please let me know. The question was asked in this thread if ACP were any good and in the spirit of "educating" our readers on this forum, I felt it was in their best interest to know the current state of affairs was with regards to ACP and why they might not be able to find more supply this winter....just the facts......

I picked up nothing but stated fact on this post BTU, I'm with you. Sorry Bart, I've never read anything but open minded opinion and fact from BTU I don't see how any of that could be construed as "dissing".

The dealers near me that carried them last year do not have them this year. Good to know why they are not carring them this year. 1 has had them from the get go too!

Edit: I want to add that BTU is our eyes on the other side of this game. If there is something on the inside, He comes here and gives up the goods to us. We should be happy he's here and could use some more pellet reps too! I like having the "inside scoop" in the game.

None of the answers in the poll worked for me.
Haven't bought anything yet but not worried.
I only need a couple ton. Probably gonna grab
one before this month is over then another next
month.

I tried a few bags of Appling County last year and they were kind of crappy. Better than the Maine Woods that I had 2 seasons ago but not too good. The Maine Woods I had were actually re-bagged and sold as M&M Manufacturing - they clogged my stove.

Picked up 3 tons of Cubex $260 per ton, spent $279 per ton for LG's last year. Okanagan and Barefoots available for $285 per ton at Rocky's in Augusta

Xena said:
None of the answers in the poll worked for me.
Haven't bought anything yet but not worried.
I only need a couple ton. Probably gonna grab
one before this month is over then another next
month.

Number 2 would be close? If you left off the cheap part! :)

Just put a deposit on 5.2tons of Okies. Price seemed very fair @ 239t. Squiers Lumber - Monson MA. Most other retailers have em around 259-269t. Funny when I asked for Oh-can-agains over the phone the lady said you mean Oh-Ka-na-gans. Anyways at that price if there as good as LG last year for 279t it'll be a good deal. Good luck fellow pigs.

Blackie

Empress FS 07'
Dell Point Europa used last year(gr8 stove)
Long ranch heat from both ends.

Blackie,

Most folks seem to think there made in Boston(yes I was one of them!). That's why we call them Okies. :) Much easier to say. :lol:

How do you like the Europa?

Just bought 2 tons of somerset to finish up my pellet shopping for the season.I also have 1 ton of Okies,1 ton of NEWP(Jaffrey) & a half ton assortment of Maine Choice,Green Team and Pennington.Its been a great summer here in the northeast but I'm a winter guy and really looking forward to crankin up the stove!

Have 2 tons Okies...3 tons Curran...and will probably buy a couple more ton tomorrow (depending on brand)....$204 at Lowes, Potsdam NY...if there are any left

j-takeman said:

Lol. Not really because I'm not even searching for any.
This is year #6 for me with this stove and the first time
I didn't get pellets before august. Almost was on the verge
of selling the stove to pay bills...My business has been super
slow this year and my brother who has no income atm is
also living here...anyway, I'll prolly get a ton of Barefoot
next week then later in the season pick up a ton of Omalley.

Xena said:
j-takeman said:

Lol. Not really because I'm not even searching for any.
This is year #6 for me with this stove and the first time
I didn't get pellets before august. Almost was on the verge
of selling the stove to pay bills...My business has been super
slow this year and my brother who has no income atm is
also living here...anyway, I'll prolly get a ton of Barefoot
next week then later in the season pick up a ton of Omalley.

Yes, Definety a tough year. I sure hope things start turning for people. Hang in there!

I order my pellets from a bulk delivery service here in Maine (Heutz Prem. pellets), last year they were more than happy to sell me 3 tons pre-paid for delivery during the winter. This year they did'nt want to do it(but did anyway), and told me they are only doing pre-paid for customers who bought that way last year.
Apparently there is a lot of volatility in the pellet market this year, some mills closing or running at less than full capacity and he thinks that the price will be going up.
That being said I did pre buy 3 tons for $260.00/ton ( not a good deal in my book but I really want to support a local business )
and I may buy 1 or 2 tons of bagged pellets for $199/ton with free delivery from another dealer here in Maine.

bill

Status
Not open for further replies.