Hearth extension help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
So here's the deal:

I've got a hearth install of my Encore NC, which specifies that the extension should be at least 1/2" non-combustible with R=0.59 minimum. My hearth/stove is raised about 8" above the floor on the existing hearth (2 layers of bricks with a concrete/masonry).

So I was thinking of two ways to build the extension: either a single layer of brick 18" out (will this meet the R value requirement?) or tile (or perhaps, if necessary, brick + tile). It looks to me like 1/2" durock plus tile isn't going to give me the R value I need, hence the thought about doing the brick or brick + tile. Any thoughts?

I attached a pic of what the hearth looks like (this is the old Resolute I replaced), so you can see clearly where the extension needs to be built.

Attachments

• IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0237.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 180
You can find the R value chart in a bunch of places, including this forum. But if you put down a sheet of metal, then wonderboard and then 2 layers of brick, you would be exceeding the required R value.

Status
Not open for further replies.