Help! Blaze King Asford Insert underperforming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That was my initial thought! Curious if you could shed more light on that. The guy I bought it from measured incorrectly and the insert sticks out almost 2" which might give me enough room to be able to operate it.
What? So he’s installed it temporarily until a solution is found?

Reactions: Tegbert
Are you getting 15+hrs when operating on s lower setting?

I average 12hrs on low with the fans on low which is perfect for my schedule and for the most part heat demand.

Without the fans I have gotten 19 hours and that is using Doug fir.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

I would add a blockoff plate. It still won't meet BK's recommendations but it should work fine, on an interior chimney especially. The goal is to keep the top of the flue above 250F.
would it be fine to just stuff it with rock wool vs a block plate?

would it be fine to just stuff it with rock wool vs a block plate?

On mine I will have to cut out the iron baffle and knock out bricks to get the insulated liner to fit. Then I would have a huge opening. Mine will absolutely need a block off plate... unless I want to heat my chimney instead of my room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my initial thought! Curious if you could shed more light on that. The guy I bought it from measured incorrectly and the insert sticks out almost 2" which might give me enough room to be able to operate it.
Theres a member who had to put a damper on his insert and he came up with a pretty clever solution, I think he had a clydesdale if that helps with a search. I was going to do it with mine but decided to switch to a different free stander.

Theres a member who had to put a damper on his insert and he came up with a pretty clever solution, I think he had a clydesdale if that helps with a search. I was going to do it with mine but decided to switch to a different free stander.

@bholler has rigged up insert dampers with an operating linkage through the surround. (How do you sweep that?)

My first post....
I'm incredibly disappointed with my brand new Blaze King Asford insert. The stove's burn time at best is maybe 5 hours ( my understanding it should be 15-20 hours), the fan on high is equivalent to low on my Harman Accentra & Napolean 1402 (yes I have 3 stoves) & frankly has a hard time heating up the 350 sq. ft room it's in. I feel like I purchased a total lemon! My two other stoves burn incredibly well and I paid a fraction of what the BK cost me. The dealer came over and said my problem is due to a noninsulated liner. I don't believe it. It's a interior chimney. Thoughts?
I doubt the problem is due to an uninsulated liner although it should be insulated. It is probably a combo of no blockoff plate and not knowing the stove yet.

I doubt the problem is due to an uninsulated liner although it should be insulated. It is probably a combo of no blockoff plate and not knowing the stove yet.
Dont you think a 32 foot liner and wood at 25% would be the place to start?

Dont you think a 32 foot liner and wood at 25% would be the place to start?

He can kill the cat with low therm setting attempts. He is controlling draft. All to well. No need for a damper I would guess.

He needs to find the sweet spot where he loses flame. Then dial down slowly from there to get to his best slow burn/comfortable heat output. A potentially frustrating and confusing process with a first time BK owner.

Just my take. Unless I missed something? Very possible as well;lol

Seems the BKs run best on a 16 foot or so stack, they dont like too much draft or wet wood. I'm going by my experience with a princess insert, which doesnt make me an expert.

I could be asked to remove my foot from my mouth if need be;lol Should be interesting to see what he works out.

I could be asked to remove my foot from my mouth if need be;lol Should be interesting to see what he works out.
Nah, we're troubleshooting, the more opinions the better chance of solving the problem.

Reactions: coutufr
My princess insert ran like two different stoves if I burned wood at 25% compared to <20. That's a long liner, that's going to cut way down on burn times unless you can find a way to operate a damper.
I take your word for it and order some kiln dried wood, $380/cord! Hopefully that's the cure. I'll keep you posted.

I think bholler hit it on the head, but it took me a while to realize it.

Remember it got mentioned early on that the insert wasn't fully installed and there was a 2" gap between the surround and the fireplace?

AND that there is no blockoff plate? Possible wind tunnel!

That's a cold-room problem if there is any air egressing the chimney anywhere.

25 percent wood is wet. Do you have any dry wood just to experiment with ? Even if you had to go buy a couple kiln dried bundles from the hardware store just to burn to see if it performs better. I couldn’t imagine burning wood at 25 percent.

Just want to say I agree with what everyone says about a block off plate. That said I don’t have one and still get a lot of heat. So how much heat goes up the chimney might depend also on the fire place design ? The reason I say this is I’m heating 1,000 sq feet of living room and kitchen area on a tube stove insert and no block off plate and on high it will run you out of the room. I’m sure I’m losing heat up the chimney but plenty is getting in the room, sometimes too much, so I think block off plate benefit might depend on install etc

Try the drier wood and put a block off plate in for starters see how that does. Also sounds like the pros have said you should insulate the liner. I know it might be a lot of work but in the end if it helps solve the problem then worth it in my opinion

Last edited:
At 32ft of non insulated liner op should have plenty of drafting if op wraps liner it will improve more draft needing a damper if ever the wind picks up and is bk approved Question does the op have a top plate at chimney top to create dead air space thus no wind tunnel to help promote 125 degree from the back of the insulated (insert)to dead air space. Yes wrap the liner and try dryer wood but be carful dryer wood create faster burn rate and hotter stove temperature.

At 32ft of non insulated liner op should have plenty of drafting if op wraps liner it will improve more draft needing a damper if ever the wind picks up and is bk approved Question does the op have a top plate at chimney top to create dead air space thus no wind tunnel to help promote 125 degree from the back of the insulated (insert)to dead air space. Yes wrap the liner and try dryer wood but be carful dryer wood create faster burn rate and hotter stove temperature.

He wouldn't even need to be missing the top plate, any airhole into the old chimney would do it.