Help Identifying?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gobi

Feb 16, 2022
Alberta
Morning Everyone!

We bought a house with a beautiful fireplace in it but there is no identifiable markings. Was told it might be a blaze king but in contacting them, they said it's definitely not one of theirs. It doesn't have the backplate anymore which is unfortunate because insurance has to label it as a home made unit which requires much heavy heat deflection (steel sheeting with air gaps) on the walls, underneath, and ceiling. Would like to have a brand for it so I can get another inspection done under the manufacturers specs.

Anybody identify this beautiful piece?

20220215_180124.jpg

Looks like one of a thousand Fisher knock-offs. The Fisher draft wheels are different, but otherwise it uses a lot of similar concepts. If the venting system is good, you'd probably do well to eventually replace it with a modern stove.

It looks professionally made. The ceramic inserts look like Blaze King, so I can appreciate the guess. Early Earth Stove?

Is there an oven in the upper section?

Reactions: D. Hermit
Just to complete the thread, here's the BK with ceramic inserts, to which begreen is referring:

thumb-IMG_20190109_152220.jpg

Similar concept, but no draft wheels or spring handles. For the record, I wasn't saying it was a home-grown design, there were many companies in the 1970's making stoves that borrowed on the Fisher concepts, my eye really caught the draft wheels. Not sure of the maker, but wouldn't be surprised if someone here ID's it soon.

Reactions: Gobi
It's a cool and unique old stove. Let us know if you find an ID. Has me wondering if the engineering team that made the first BKs was involved.

Looks like a Prestige by Dee Zee They used a ceramic insert easily confused with Blaze King the top plates are how Prestige made theirs. I believe it was the same company that made truck parts in Des Moines Iowa

yes you are right

Reactions: Gobi
Yep. A quick Google Images search of "Bicential wood stove" confirms it. In fact, some of the images I found have the word "Bicentennial" cast into the ceramic inlays. Looking again at your first post, I believe I can see the same in your image.

Great. I'm glad you nailed it down.

It most likely will need to be installed as an unlisted stove if there is no UL testing documentation. That's not the end of the world for some insurance companies. It just needs proper clearances or shielding.

It's unfortunate because the inspection is stating they want steel sheeting on the walls, underneath it on the hearth, and on the ceiling before it'll pass. Not exactly easy...

It's unfortunate because the inspection is stating they want steel sheeting on the walls, underneath it on the hearth, and on the ceiling before it'll pass. Not exactly easy...
It would likely be easier and less aesthetically disturbing to replace it with a modern stove, and then you can enjoy all the benefits that come with that. In fact, if you're paying a contractor to do the shielding, it may not be any more expensive to swap to a modern stove. You'll likely be able to sell that old beast for at least $500, based on its condition.

If you had a chance to compare wood usage or the frequency with which you'll need to clean your chimney, you'd quickly see the advantage of going to a new stove over that thing, as interesting or pretty as it may be. You may also enjoy being able to see the fire, thru a glass door.

However, do note that a new stove may require you to pull a stainless liner up thru your chimney, depending on it's current construction. New stoves put comparatively little heat into the chimney, thanks to their high efficiency, which doesn't often play well with large clay in masonry flues.

Well, older folks may recall that from 1977-1983, we had 6 factories in the US and one in Canada. We sold ceramics and bimetallic springs to many other companies, both in the industry and outside the industry. A dear friend that started a wood stove company and later sold it to a much bigger company told me how they use to drive across the border into Canada and purchase items from our operation there. Funny how small the world is......

Reactions: Ashful
This has been interesting read. I have seen this stove before on Marketplace and wondered about it. I like the idea of having an oven and I like the tiles. They seen to be the same shape as the BK tiles. To bad about all the sheeting for the correct distances but necessary with this stove.

I've come back to revive this thread... I'm wondering if there's any way of me being able to get my hands on the backplate with all the information for this particular model? Doesn't have to be the exact backplate but at least the information the backplate would originally have had.

With it starting to get colder in my neck of the woods, I'd love to have something that can help my furnace when it gets really cold but also, when I build my garage, this unit is likely to move out there and we will still have the same problem with insurance without the backplate.

You can access the manual for those details and produce your own label....

BKVP

That's what I'm trying to get to. Where would I even begin to look for the manual? I'm not very well versed in this and am asking for the help, it would be greatly appreciated.

The one further up is not our stove.

BKVP