Help :/ Zero Clearance Removal Keep Same Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ArthurSpooner

Sep 15, 2020
Here
Hello!

I apologize if this has been answered somewhere else but I’m having trouble finding other threads with the exact same issue as me. I would really appreciated any help.

We’re replacing an old Napoleon ZCF with a free standing wood stove. I’d like to remove the current ZCF but keep the same chimney pipe. I’m having a HUGE issue trying to figure out how to do this.

We live in a 2 story house with a walled in external chimney. I don’t know how to get any clearance between the fireplace and the chimney pipe for removal.

I’m thinking there are three options:
1) Its not possible
2) I’m not very bright and its actually quite easy, or
3) it’s doable but not easy

I’m just trying to figure out if I’m wasting my time or if I can actually do this. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

It could possibly be a high efficiency zc fireplace in which case it may have a class a chimney. But that is the first thing to figure out.

Hello!

I apologize if this has been answered somewhere else but I’m having trouble finding other threads with the exact same issue as me. I would really appreciated any help.

We’re replacing an old Napoleon ZCF with a free standing wood stove. I’d like to remove the current ZCF but keep the same chimney pipe. I’m having a HUGE issue trying to figure out how to do this.

We live in a 2 story house with a walled in external chimney. I don’t know how to get any clearance between the fireplace and the chimney pipe for removal.

I’m thinking there are three options:
1) Its not possible
2) I’m not very bright and its actually quite easy, or
3) it’s doable but not easy

I’m just trying to figure out if I’m wasting my time or if I can actually do this. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
First thing is to figure out if the pipe is useable. But either way it will need to come out. Generally there are two options. Go down the chase or open up the chase. Occasionally you can support the chimney and remove the fireplace from underneath then lower it down removing a price at a time but that can be dangerous.

What is the actual model of the unit you have?
We can check to see what venting was designated to be used with it.
That will tell us whether or not it can be reused with a wood burning stove.

Thank you everyone for the replies. It’s a Napoleon NZ-26 Zero Clearance. The pipe appears to be a Duratech Duravent 247j pipe... I think. The numbers are not very clear. Does that help?

The Z26 should have 6" class A chimney pipe. Duratech qualifies, it's UL-103HT. That should be reusable if in good condition.

Reactions: kennyp2339