HIGHEST STOVE TEMPS, WHO HAS EM?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you understood a purpose to this thread. You're doing better than me. ;)

It is simple post your stove temp, i didnt make rules for a spot or a whole, cat or non cat. I just said safely.

Since we know BK stoves do 800 all day every day we can collect data and say that they run this temp safely
(At least so far no one has stated otherwise).

We will all wait patiently for other members with other stoves to post real world numbers. A spot, as a whole it doesnt matter. Then we can collect data and average things out to make real world assumptions.

To be honest i thought that non BK stoves where gonna start posting numbers that would blow our stoves out of the water but i have to even see that. Cause you wll know when it comes to low burn times, we do blow the competition out the water.

So the purpose of this thread is to give you a chance squisher and any else that would like to particapte, show us your stove high heat numbers, I mean its that simple.

If you get a high number in one spot awesome! But proof is needed, then well see with other members posts, collect data and go from there.

It is simple post your stove temp, i didnt make rules for a spot or a whole, cat or non cat. I just said safely.

Since we know BK stoves do 800 all day every day we can collect data and say that they run this temp safely

We will all wait patiently for other members with other stoves to post real world numbers. A spot, as a whole it doesnt matter. Then we can collect data and average things out to make real world assumptions.

To be honest i thought that non BK stoves where gonna start posting numbers that would blow our stoves out of the water but i have to even see that. Cause you wll know when it comes to low burn times, we do blow the competition out the water.

So the purpose of this thread is to give you a chance squisher and any else that would like to particapte, show us your stove high heat numbers, I mean its that simple.

If you get a high number in one spot awesome! But proof is needed, then well see with other members posts, collect data and go from there.

There have been many tube stove owners here over the years that could post stove top temps that would blow a BK out of the water but many of them don't hang around long after they figure out what they were doing wrong;)

Reactions: Squisher
On high with the bypass open the stove can be damaged after a period of time. That's why the bypass should be shut once the cat becomes active. The stove is still very controllable though using the thermostat even if the bypass is open. I can nearly squash the fire with the bypass open, but there's no reason to run with the cat bypassed.
Yes, I believe we are saying the same thing. >>

I'm not quite sure what your question is, youbuave some typos and I'm can't make it out. Looking at your draft in your picture, you are way over the max draft listed in the manual. This could cause over fire and short slrun times.

Sorry if i didn't explain myself in a way you can understand. After all English is not my language but i am hanging in there.
I always heard that when you expose the flue to much to the outside cold, you can have draft issues cause it stays to cold. I wasn't expecting to have that kind of strong draft based on that theory. I have to go that far up to applied the 10-3-2 rules to the roof of the two story rooms on one half of the house. The flue run just under 10 ft away from the wall of those rooms. what made me have over 13' completely exposed to the outside. The question here is , what happen with that theory? and yeah the draft was super strong with the tube stoves and secondaries taking off in a mad way when cold outside.

Hope is easier to understand me now. What it is going on here? At least with this stove now, i don't have the issue.

Sorry if i didn't explain myself in a way you can understand. After all English is not my language but i am hanging in there.
I always heard that when you expose the flue to much to the outside cold, you can have draft issues cause it stays to cold. I wasn't expecting to have that kind of strong draft based on that theory. I have to go that far up to applied the 10-3-2 rules to the roof of the two story rooms on one half of the house. The flue run just under 10 ft away from the wall of those rooms. what made me have over 13' completely exposed to the outside. The question here is , what happen with that theory? and yeah the draft was super strong with the tube stoves and secondaries taking off in a mad way when cold outside.

Hope is easier to understand me now. What it is going on here? At least with this stove now, i don't have the issue.

Was it windy?

Was it windy?
No, anything from low 30s outside temp regardless windy or not. when 20s and teens, oh my god. it got better with barometric damper and blocking some the dog house. flue damper didn't stopped neither

Reactions: brushcll

I think I understand better now, maybe correct me if I'm wrong. The picture of your draft gauge was with a secondary burn type stove, not your BK correct?

Draft is a function if flue temperature (buoyancy). The hotter your flue gases the more draft you will induce in the chimney. Having a well insulated and tall chimney is a good recipe for a strong draft. Other factors like wind and a high difference in outside to inside air temperature also increase the draft. If you get too much draft the stove burns hotter, the hotter it burn the more draft it creates which makes the stove burn hotter. This is called the stack effect and can cause the stove to run away without a way to restrict the flow. Sounds like that could have been your experience with the secondary burn stove.

You really need to read a bit more and try to fully understand how other stoves work I think. If you did you would know what numbers stoves run at. Your post comes across as borderline daft and more than a little confrontational. But I've posted my pic and had some fun, so best of luck with your thread.

I think I understand better now, maybe correct me if I'm wrong. The picture of your draft gauge was with a secondary burn type stove, not your BK correct?
Correct. no problems with BK install with the same system

There have been many tube stove owners here over the years that could post stove top temps that would blow a BK out of the water but many of them don't hang around long after they figure out what they were doing wrong;)

I did say safety first..

You really need to read a bit more and try to fully understand how other stoves work I think. If you did you would know what numbers stoves run at. Your post comes across as borderline daft and more than a little confrontational. But I've posted my pic and had some fun, so best of luck with your thread.

I missed the pic let me look again. Actaully your posts would be contraversisl towards me everytime i told a person to get a BK, As you kept saying the stove does not produce heat/btu/hot enough.

So i created a thread to collect some data. But from what im seeing all the stpves so fat out their are producing the same high heat. You made it seem like your stove was blowing other stoves away in temps.

Reactions: brushcll
Not according to many here including bkvp they all agree if you leave the bypass open you can over fire the stove

The wording is very important. You will not overfire the BK stove if you leave the bypass open. You can melt a couple of bypass gasket retainers that are not replaceable without welding and that is a big deal to me but it is not the same as overfiring the stove. Might seem like semantics but the thermostat will prevent overfire and safety risk which is also a big deal.

Some non-cats have a bypass too and that, like the cat bypass, is closed early on in the fire before the stove temp has risen to normal levels. It's after the bypass is closed on either type of stove but during warm up that we risk forgetting about the stove and high stove temperatures can be inadvertently met. The BK thermostat saves your butt here, but not with a regular non-cat. I've been there with my noncats, I've forgotten about the stove as it overshoots my desired temp. So I think webby is not out of line in assuming that the bypass will be closed as a part of startup.

I've had a couple of non-cats now and my first couple (Lopi and Hearthstone) would runaway, aka go nuclear, which I think is likely due to their unregulated secondary air systems and good, dry wood. There is no throttle on those tubes! Hotter fire makes stronger draft, makes more air get sucked in, makes hotter fire, makes stronger draft, on and on until it melts or runs out of fuel. I have had to fully shut the draft and get ready to call the fire department. Have also had to instruct the almost crying wife over the phone to do the same. Not cool. We love the control of our current stoves. My NC30 can always be snuffed to a smokey mess with a closed draft nomatter how hot it gets. The BK just behaves.

Reactions: webby3650
This thread is funny. Just for you Niko.

Heh Marshy no thermal imaging, we need photos of a stovetop thermometer. And not right against the flue collar either.

View attachment 192949

Ok yes i saw it sorry. So based on the picture your stove rouly peaks at the same temps as ours.

So my point had been made at least in my eyes, Your stove does not produce more btu then bk comparable in size, does it?

I thought from all that bla bla in the other forums your stove would be like 1200 degres(safely) and. Bk only at like 700. But dude come on your way way off, pretty much every stove so far max temps are like 800. Nobody wants to push it cause of safety.

So next time BK owner says we burn less wood, i think this thread make proven fact. You cant cruise at 400-700 likes us. But we can cruise at 800 like you.

Last edited:
I missed the pic let me look again. Actaully your posts would be contraversisl towards me everytime i told a person to get a BK, As you kept saying the stove does not produce heat/btu/hot enough.

So i created a thread to collect some data. But from what im seeing all the stpves so fat out their are producing the same high heat. You made it seem like your stove was blowing other stoves away in temps.

You're the one that keeps saying I said that. When in fact I questioned btu outputs to try to gain some insight as to what the manufacturers claim and what the stoves actually put out.

You are the one who seems to have a lot of emotional investment in saying your stove is the 'best' and I say this because you won't discuss things logically and try to put words into others mouths. Like a bad reporter trying to take things out of context. You constantly seem to want to twist things into something it's not. It's ok for me to question your stoves output. If you're secure in your output, it shouldn't bother you. Lol

I think anyone who's participated in the threads you're referring to would agree that while we have a little fun, we try to discuss things in a logical manner, even if at times it gets a bit rigorous. Still we try to discuss things logically to try and learn something possibly. And in a manner of mutual respect.

Honestly I've grown tired of the drama that you seem to want to have with me. I like to have fun and joke around a bit so I'm sorry if I somehow offended you.

Reactions: bholler
Ok yes i saw it sorry. So based on the picture your stove rouly peaks at the same temps as ours.

So my point had been made. Your stove does not produce more btu then bk comparable in size, does it?

Again for all the reasons already layer out earlier in this thread. No point has been made about btu output. And remember when you are comparing stoves my stove is only 3.0cu/ft.

But letd k ep collecting more data as i know my knowledge is very limited compared to everyone else. But i also know that sometimes people are just a lil stubborn to except things.

Like i said i dont care about my vs urs. I know it sounds this way and we all habe different budgets. I wish i was a millionaire as i am a very giving person, i would buy everyone one of you a BK stove.

Again for all the reasons already layer out earlier in this thread. No point has been made about btu output. And remember when you are comparing stoves my stove is only 3.0cu/ft.

Ok we have like 100 people that have BK the same size as yours. I am basing that off of their numbers not mine.

I am also wondering that stove temp has to be directly related to BTU. You cant have a stove temp of 800 and only 12,000 btu, can you?

[QUOTE="Niko, post: 2147953, member: 29891"} I wish i was a millionaire as i am a very giving person, i would buy everyone one of you a BK stove.[/QUOTE]

Since I already own a BK can I have 3 point implements instead?:)

Reactions: Marshy
But from what im seeing all the stpves so fat out their are producing the same high heat.

I think we can say that all plate steel stoves are capable of 800 and also capable of safely running to 800. Cat or non-cat. Blowers or not. After 800 things can start glowing.

Soapstone stoves have lower redline temperatures from the manufacturer. I recall that my heritage was 550 or maybe 600 MAX and then bad things start happening. Cast iron (can't believe they still use cast for stoves, it looks great but come'on it's a terrible material) is also lower than plate steel.

Steel conducts heat pretty darn well but none of our stoves are 100% the same temperature all over their surface when running. Heat rises, there are bricks, baffles, cats, flue outlets, etc. where heat is concentrated. Also it's not a linear relationship between btu and surface temperature, an 800 degree stove makes way more than double the heat of a 400 degree stove.

Ok we have like 100 people that have BK the same size as yours. I am basing that off of their numbers not mine.

I am also wondering that stove temp has to be directly related to BTU. You cant have a stove temp of 800 and only 12,000 btu, can you?
Capture.JPGCapture.JPGCapture.JPG

And it get more complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bholler
The wording is very important. You will not overfire the BK stove if you leave the bypass open. You can melt a couple of bypass gasket retainers that are not replaceable without welding and that is a big deal to me but it is not the same as overfiring the stove. Might seem like semantics but the thermostat will prevent overfire and safety risk which is also a big deal.
I am sory but to me damaging your stove due to excessive heat it over firing yes it may not be catastrophic damage but it will make the stove inoperable right? I would also like to know how when most other steel stoves call anything over 800 an over fire it is not an over fire when a bk hits that point? They are still steel stoves.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I am sory but to me damaging your stove due to excessive heat it over firing yes it may not be catastrophic damage but it will make the stove inoperable right? I would also like to know how when most other steel stoves call anything over 800 an over fire it is not an over fire when a bk hits that point? They are still steel stoves.

Even with melted bypass gasket retainers the stove is operable and safe. Not unlike a broken baffle board in a non-cat (been there too!) efficiency will be lost. The point is that we should assume that bypasses are closed in cat stoves and non-cats when they are being run hot. The manuals require it, common sense dictates as well.

Some stove manuals call out 800 as an overfire temp, some only call out glowing outside parts as overfire evidence. My BK manual does not call out 800, it does call out glowing outside parts as evidence of overfire. Did somebody say that a BK at 800 is overfired?

Did somebody say that a BK at 800 is overfired?
no not at all but I have heard many times that blaze kings cannot be over fired then I saw a flir image of a blaze king where there were spots over 800. I was just wondering how the steel on a bk was different than all of the stoves who say that over 800 was an over fire.

All this bashing of BK over not being able to run hot is so silly when there are so many really good reasons to not like them. ;) (runs for cover)
wow care to list some of those reasons? I dont dislike them at all I just am annoyed by the fan boy hype lol.