HIGHEST STOVE TEMPS, WHO HAS EM?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I was just wondering how the steel on a bk was different than all of the stoves who say that over 800 was an over fire.

BK steel is probably no different than steel of other stoves. I had to push Lopi to admit to an 800 degree redline. Hearthstone just tells you the number in their manual. I think it is most common that the manufacturer does NOT specify the overfire temperature as a strategy to help them deny warranty claims for overfire. Cracks, sags, corrosion, warpage, can all be blamed on overfire. Perhaps some designs are more capable than others. Steel is steel but the stove design would dictate the specific temperature at which damage would occur. How thin is the welded in airwash plate on my NC30? 1/8" and I've melted it at 700. My BK airwash plate is 1/4" and would be much harder to melt.

Also I suspect that 800 degree stove top with a full load at full throttle is more likely to be damaged from heat than an 800 degree stove with a partial load of fuel at 10% throttle. Speaking real throttle, not stat settings.

Reactions: tpenny67
BK steel is probably no different than steel of other stoves. I had to push Lopi to admit to an 800 degree redline. Hearthstone just tells you the number in their manual. I think it is most common that the manufacturer does NOT specify the overfire temperature as a strategy to help them deny warranty claims for overfire. Cracks, sags, corrosion, warpage, can all be blamed on overfire. Perhaps some designs are more capable than others. Steel is steel but the stove design would dictate the specific temperature at which damage would occur. How thin is the welded in airwash plate on my NC30? 1/8" and I've melted it at 700. My BK airwash plate is 1/4" and would be much harder to melt.

Also I suspect that 800 degree stove top with a full load at full throttle is more likely to be damaged from heat than an 800 degree stove with a partial load of fuel at 10% throttle. Speaking real throttle, not stat settings.
Fair enough

best I can tell the King's output matches the other large stoves on the market.....Unless there is large stove that can burn the doors off the King, and I mean BTU/hr performance, that is half the price and still in the upper 70% efficiency
It appears it's pointless for me to keep posting the same info, since it never seems to register. ;hm You've already bought your stove, so this info is of no use to you until the next time you buy a stove, but since you asked...
The only output numbers we have for comparison are the EPA numbers, since they are measured in the same calorimeter room with wood loads that are precisely measured. The same goes for efficiencies. Companies can put results on their websites that are from independent, non-standardized testing, so those numbers can't be used for comparison.

Here you go....equal or greater efficiency and almost 50% more BTU output, on just a couple of models:
upload_2017-1-18_13-34-2.png
upload_2017-1-18_13-36-27.png
upload_2017-1-18_13-40-33.png

Well, I'll be...this one, another plate-steel stove, is only half the price of the one you bought! _g And I think the Sequoia is about $2200.
upload_2017-1-18_13-54-29.png

Yes there are other comparable stoves for less money but I read durability is not equivalent to the King....something I plan to own for half a life time.
I'd be interested in reading that durability info...have you got any links? The King is 120-180 lbs. lighter than the other stoves, so I'm guessing they would be more durable...like a heavy car would be more durable than a light one, under various loads. This is only a guess, though, and maybe not a good analogy...keep us updated on how the stove holds up.
I'm also wondering if you are realizing any savings (if that was even a goal?) With an 8-hr. burn, let's say that's 10 cu.ft. of wood a day. Go ahead and round that down to 2 cords of wood a month. Say you are paying $250 a cord. If you take the amount of money per month you are paying for heat now, with the stove running, and add $500, is that below what you were paying per month with no stove?
How thin is the welded in airwash plate on my NC30? 1/8" and I've melted it at 700. My BK airwash plate is 1/4" and would be much harder to melt.
OK, but the sides and front of the BK are only slightly over 1/8" (10 GA.) so I don't know if I would be running it 800...YMMV.
All this bashing of BK over not being able to run hot is so silly when there are so many really good reasons to not like them. ;) (runs for cover);lol
wow care to list some of those reasons?
Better not, we are already pretty close to being off-topic...what was the topic, again? ;lol

wow care to list some of those reasons? I dont dislike them at all I just am annoyed by the fan boy hype lol.
sorry for make you feel like that but. you can be sure, from now and on i will just buy BK.LOL

sorry for make you feel like that but. you can be sure, from now and on i will just buy BK.LOL
And that is your decision I am not trying to tell you to do anything else. I am just tiered of guys like you who cannot seem to see that there are other stoves that fit other people needs budget ect ect.

Reactions: lsucet
And that is your decision I am not trying to tell you to do anything else. I am just tiered of guys like you who cannot seem to see that there are other stoves that fit other people needs budget ect ect.
How is that, what i did to you? ok lets make you like me. I am going to buy a Regency 3100. How you like that?

How is that, what i did to you? ok lets make you like me. I am going to buy a Regency 3100. How you like that?
I don't care what stove you have or what stove you buy as long as you install it and run it safely. I do not think my stove is the best one out there for everyone by any means. It works well for me and I got it for free so for me it is perfect. And you are happy with your stove and how it works for you (although it is not installed safely due to the barometric damper which when combined with the already low exhaust temps of a bk and the flames going right up the stack with the bypass open is a recipe for big problems)

Well, I'll be...this one, another plate-steel stove, is only half the price of the one you bought! _g And I think the Sequoia is about $2200.

Yes, but the sequoia is a goofy 8" flue like the king plus low burntimes from the small firebox. The IS is the real sweetheart. Not sure if I would like not being able to see the cat though.

(although it is not installed safely due to the barometric damper which when combined with the already low exhaust temps of a bk and the flames going right up the stack with the bypass open is a recipe for big problems)
now i know you just want to say something cause i never said that i did that with BK. read back and apologize please

now i know you just want to say something cause i never said that i did that with BK. read back and apologize please
You are correct I went back and re read that post and I misunderstood you I stand corrected and I am sorry.

You are correct I went back and re read that post and I misunderstood you I stand corrected and I am sorry.
it is ok i just messing around

This is where mine was last night. Was sitting at the same spot for an hour or so with the fan on low. Not sure how long it stayed there because i went to bed
IMG_0687 (640x480).jpg IMG_0688 (640x480).jpg

Reactions: tpenny67
It appears it's pointless for me to keep posting the same info, since it never seems to register. ;hm You've already bought your stove, so this info is of no use to you until the next time you buy a stove, but since you asked...
The only output numbers we have for comparison are the EPA numbers, since they are measured in the same calorimeter room with wood loads that are precisely measured. The same goes for efficiencies. Companies can put results on their websites that are from independent, non-standardized testing, so those numbers can't be used for comparison.

Here you go....equal or greater efficiency and almost 50% more BTU output, on just a couple of models:
View attachment 193019
View attachment 193020
View attachment 193021

View attachment 193024

I'd be interested in reading that durability info...have you got any links? The King is 120-180 lbs. lighter than the other stoves, so I'm guessing they would be more durable...like a heavy car would be more durable than a light one, under various loads. This is only a guess, though, and maybe not a good analogy...keep us updated on how the stove holds up.
I'm also wondering if you are realizing any savings (if that was even a goal?) With an 8-hr. burn, let's say that's 10 cu.ft. of wood a day. Go ahead and round that down to 2 cords of wood a month. Say you are paying $250 a cord. If you take the amount of money per month you are paying for heat now, with the stove running, and add $500, is that below what you were paying per month with no stove?
OK, but the sides and front of the BK are only slightly over 1/8" (10 GA.) so I don't know if I would be running it 800...YMMV.

Better not, we are already pretty close to being off-topic...what was the topic, again? ;lol
Hey woody, we have not used calorimeter rooms in past 15-20 years for EPA testing. OMNI had owned about a decade ago for other purposes, but it too is now gone.

When I went to NZ in 2015 and still today, the do use a calorimeter room.

Just FYI....

I took some shots of the quad, I don't have a fancy flir camera but I'll get by.. my IR thermometer only reads to 600F.

The temps aren't terribly high, but pretty hot all over. If it was cold outside I could really let er rip!

Attachments

• IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0345.JPG
    IMG_0345.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0346.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0347.JPG
    IMG_0347.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 188
Surface area is needed too not just stove top temp. Any steel stove will probably go 800+ on the stove top if you let it.
I hope I remember this correctly... I believe radiation varies with the fourth power of temperature difference and directly with the area of the hot object. A doubling of temperature will increase radiation by a factor of 16. Doubling the surface area will double the radiation. Convection is different, but it should be dominated by radiation when there are even marginal differences in temperature. Anyone who is dealing with conduction has bigger problems to deal with!

Regardless, I'm not going to max out my stove. Running throttled down on the cat at 30 below, it still keeps the house warm.

We've had a warm spell. At 30-40 degrees today, a 1/3 load, twice, has kept the house in the 70s.

I've accidentally had my stovetop to 750 a couple times. Not glowing yet but uncomfortably hot. Not going to push it on purpose for a photo op, however.

I've accidentally had my stovetop to 750 a couple times. Not glowing yet but uncomfortably hot. Not going to push it on purpose for a photo op, however.
If you were referring to my photo, it wasn't a photo op. This is normal for this particular stove. The griddle top stoves I've had would run way hot on the griddle itself, but still run within safe temps on the stovetop.

By the way, you would need way more than 750 to make it glow.

Now we're cooking!

We've got to get you a condar meter. I can hear the rutland internals dragging across your stove top and moving up in chunks. Scritch scritch.

We've got to get you a condar meter. I can hear the rutland internals dragging across your stove top and moving up in chunks. Scritch scritch.
Ya, it doesn't make scratches. It does kill it though! That's the second cheapy that quad has claimed! I get them for free, that's the only reason I even drag them home..

If you were referring to my photo, it wasn't a photo op. This is normal for this particular stove. The griddle top stoves I've had would run way hot on the griddle itself, but still run within safe temps on the stovetop.

By the way, you would need way more than 750 to make it glow.

I wasn't, but interesting to learn.

This is where mine was last night. Was sitting at the same spot for an hour or so with the fan on low. Not sure how long it stayed there because i went to bed

That etched glass is beautiful, I have never seen one of those stoves in person.

Reactions: webby3650
Just for clarity, this was not for photo purposes either. My stove seems to be happiest at that temp with a full load, every load. Liberties have a track record for running hot