Homemade Limb Processor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rodneygt

Jan 18, 2013
I made it to to fit my stihl 029 super with an 18” bar and my stihl 180 with a 16” bar. I built a fair amount of adjustability into it so it'll probably fit others. It is hinged - just remove one wing nut and the saw will rotate onto its side for adding oil and gas. I made it to fit an electric log splitter stand, which is Boss brand but I use my harbor freight electric 5ton splitter (identical to the Boss and others). Since then I've bought a second stand so I don't have to switch them around. You can snap a bucket on the end and it will catch most of the sawdust. It has an adjustable wood length gauge.

There's some pics and video below. The video looks like I'm closer to the bar than I am because of angle. Im actually a safe distance from it.

I saw various versions on youtube and used features I liked from different ones to come up with how I wanted mine. This was made with scrap 1x4 tubing a friend had given me from a crate years ago, some other scrap I had, a few metal pieces from lowes and various hardware. I used a small angle grinder with cut off wheels for the cutting and a 110v northern tool klutch brand welder.

IMG_1545.jpg
IMG_1547.jpg
IMG_1550.jpg
IMG_1546.jpg
IMG_1551.jpg
IMG_1548.jpg
IMG_1552.jpg

Really nice job, well thought out.

I sometimes like to use an electric saw for that kind of stuff since my piles are usually not as consistent and well organized as what you have there, so lots of non-cutting time spent getting the next piece etc. Bet you could easily setup a foot pedal for that. Great job.

Love seeing the 029 Super at work. It's been, and still is, my main saw for Many, Many years. Nice work on this setup.

Thank y’all.

I went with a bar and linkage instead of a foot pedal as I walk the limbs in to be cut. So the limb itself activates the throttle. I did replace the momentary switch on my harbor freight elect splitter with an on/off switch and added a foot pedal (pic below).

As to dealing with limbs, I used to waste most of them. I hate wasting stuff. We have a fireplace. So I can burn some of these. We also have a camper and I hate robbing my wood pile for when we go camping. So a lot will be taken camping with us. Also, when I have time I like making things.

6BB56518-D7CB-4B3A-95ED-8785FB6DC96A.jpeg

Are those rods at the ends of your woodpiles just staked into the ground?

Love seeing the 029 Super at work. It's been, and still is, my main saw for Many, Many years. Nice work on this setup.
My dad bought that 029 Super new - if I recall correctly in the early to mid 90s. Later he bought a 290 as well. I have both of them now and I always remember him when running them. I had to replace the fuel line and impulse line on the 029 last year. I've been using the 290 as my cutting saw with my 180 for small stuff this year. I've left the 029 Super on the limb machine but it only takes a minute to remove it. I've got a few more trees down and I'll probably use it on them. I have an 18" bar on the 029 and a 20" on the 290.

Are those rods at the ends of your woodpiles just staked into the ground?
Yes. They're just T-post, like you make a barbed or other wire fence with. They're driven into the ground with a t-post driver. Most of the racks are now on landscaping timbers. I used to just cut saplings stack one but they rot yearly. I only have one purpose built pipe rack - you can barely see the top of it sticking out above the rack behind the propane tank.

I went with a bar and linkage instead of a foot pedal as I walk the limbs in to be cut.
Build the foot pedal and a staging table. Load the table and start the saw.....

I like it. Simple to build and I have an ole 029 I rarely use.

cool setup