Homemade Pizza

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have been on the search for decent reasonably priced flour. I tried Costco organic AP flour. 11.5% protein. I thought it was bread flour when I bought it. 30 hour poolish. Added the remaining flour day of cooking.

It’s the best AP flour I’ve used. Started at 65% hydration then added more flour guessing it’s about 55-60%. Better than great value bread flour. I will try again and give the dough balls a day or two in the fridge when I have more fridge space I usually end up with dough that’s too wet when they rest in the fridge.

First 3 to come out of the hot oven were good. The next three were a bit doughy. It was too wet outside to cook on the grill.

27EF8655-9DDA-48B1-B4B1-EF09738111BA.jpeg

Reactions: marty319 and wjohn
Looks delicious. Onions, peppers, olives, tomatoes, and artichoke hearts? Yum.

Reactions: EbS-P
Looks delicious. Onions, peppers, olives, tomatoes, and artichoke hearts? Yum.
Yes, it does look good. That's our standard combo for pizza. I fired up the Ooni on Mother's Day. We only use Anna Napoletana Typo 00 flour usually, but for one of the pizza's I added some King Arthur bread flour to the Anna's. It was ok, but a bit chewier. The main thing I am having problems with is timing. The low height of the Ooni makes it very hard to see what is happening on the back side of the pizza. The heat is much stronger in the rear and I burnt the back edge of the crust on the last pizza. The total time in the oven is only about 60 seconds, so one really needs to stay on top of what is happening. I am going to get a round peel to make rotating easier and faster. Hopefully that will help.

1 more vote for Anna 00. It goes on sale every so often at my shoprite.

I have been on the search for decent reasonably priced flour. I tried Costco organic AP flour. 11.5% protein. I thought it was bread flour when I bought it. 30 hour poolish. Added the remaining flour day of cooking.

It’s the best AP flour I’ve used. Started at 65% hydration then added more flour guessing it’s about 55-60%. Better than great value bread flour. I will try again and give the dough balls a day or two in the fridge when I have more fridge space I usually end up with dough that’s too wet when they rest in the fridge.

First 3 to come out of the hot oven were good. The next three were a bit doughy. It was too wet outside to cook on the grill.

View attachment 312982
I think 30 hr poolish is to long. Vito says 16-24 hr poolish window.

It depends on the quantity of yeast. I knew I was going to be long so I used about half of what I normally would. And it was cold (for may).

What the protein content of the Anna 00? Looked at label but it’s not listed. My maths say 13 plus or minus 3 so that’s a bit to much of a range.

Poolish goes in fridge so the temp should be a constant. Don't know the exact protein content of anna. U can mix 50/50 with regular or bread flour if u want to keep cost down.

I fought using 00 too. But after using it i found the other flours just don't do nearly as good a job in many ways. A bag of Anna 2.2lbs is like $2.15 on sale or $2.75 regular price at my shoprite. Not worth wasting any more time with other sub par flours.

Last edited:
He did a 2 and 7 day poolish demo. I thought the 2 day poolish came out really good when I tried it.

I fought using 00 too. But after using it i found the other flours just don't do nearly as good a job in many ways. A bag of Anna 2.2lbs is like $2.15 on sale or $2.75 regular price at my shoprite. Not worth wasting any more time with other sub par flours.
Looking around here in seeing 5$ for a 2.2# bag. That makes one batch for me.

I really would just like one flour to rule them all but i know that’s not possible.

We use 5-6 pounds a week.

He did a 2 and 7 day poolish demo. I thought the 2 day poolish came out really good when I tried it.

That's an 8 hr, 2 days and 7 days of dough fermentation. Poolish is the preferment used to make the dough.

Reactions: begreen and EbS-P

I really would just like one flour to rule them all but i know that’s not possible.

Walmart has it for $3.24
Try a 50/50 mix of 00 and AP, and also a 50/50 of 00 and bread flour. I used to do 50/50 with 00 and AP and it came out pretty good.

Walmart has it for $3.24
Try a 50/50 mix of 00 and AP, and also a 50/50 of 00 and bread flour. I used to do 50/50 with 00 and AP and it came out pretty good.
My nearest Walmart doesn’t. Last time I went they didn’t even have bread flour. It’s stocking there is really hit and miss. Mostly miss. To tell you how bad it was they didn’t even have maseca!! I’m going to give the Costco bread flour another run. This time with a dough ball cold ferment. I think it has that crunchy/crispy potential without being tough.

That's an 8 hr, 2 days and 7 days of dough fermentation. Poolish is the preferment used to make the dough.
Ah, right you are. I have been calling the fermentation the wrong thing.

My nearest Walmart doesn’t. Last time I went they didn’t even have bread flour. It’s stocking there is really hit and miss. Mostly miss. To tell you how bad it was they didn’t even have maseca!! I’m going to give the Costco bread flour another run. This time with a dough ball cold ferment. I think it has that crunchy/crispy potential without being tough.
Yeah that stinks, maybe u can do buy online and ship to store? I've taken anna 00 on my flights to utah as i have the same problem out there getting decent 00 flour for less than a fortune.

Walmart has it for $3.24
Yes, I had to make a quick extra ball of dough for additional company and used Anna + bread flour. It came out quite well. The crust was a little less crisp and a bit more bready, but not objectionably so.

PS: I just checked Walmart's online store and they are asking almost twice what Amazon sells the 11# bag for.

Last edited:
$45 plus $25 shipping ($65 with shipping) from webstore for a Caputo 00 55lb bag.

Reactions: begreen and EbS-P
$45 plus $25 shipping ($65 with shipping) from webstore for a Caputo 00 55lb bag.
That's a nice deal if one is going through 5# a week and/or has a pizza-loving friend to go in on the deal. Can you provide a link?

i just googled 00 flour.

Sheet pizza might be something for you to look at making for lots of hungry eaters. Also bari or ny style pizza. Neopolitan might be too specialty dough demanding for your situation.

Sheet pizza might be something for you to look at making for lots of hungry eaters. Also bari or ny style pizza. Neopolitan might be too specialty dough demanding for your situation.
Lol… life is demanding in my situation;) We’ve done deep dish. That goes over well. Honestly other than the cold fermentation it’s about the same work. And by cold fermentation I mean getting dough balls into the fridge. I have two commercial dough boxes that just barely fit above my soda kegs if I disconnect them. I can always find room for a big bowl.

Getting to be summer and I try not to heat the oven up much. My AC just can’t handle the extra load. While I can fit I think a 15-16” pizza on the grill i haven’t yet. Might try that.

i just googled 00 flour.
That's a great deal!

Lol… life is demanding in my situation;) We’ve done deep dish. That goes over well. Honestly other than the cold fermentation it’s about the same work. And by cold ferImentation I mean getting dough balls into the fridge. I have two commercial dough boxes that just barely fit above my soda kegs if I disconnect them. I can always find room for a big bowl.

Getting to be summer and I try not to heat the oven up much. My AC just can’t handle the extra load. While I can fit I think a 15-16” pizza on the grill i haven’t yet. Might try that.
i've grilled some really good pizza on the grill but most of that was lucky. It adds a lot of timing perfecting in the mix, but when it goes right it's excellent.

That's straight on the grates. no pans, not even oil on the grates! precook 1 side pull off grill, add sauce and topings and finish. temp control is the hard part!.

i've grilled some really good pizza on the grill but most of that was lucky. It adds a lot of timing perfecting in the mix, but when it goes right it's excellent.

That's straight on the grates. no pans, not even oil on the grates! precook 1 side pull off grill, add sauce and topings and finish. temp control is the hard part!.
I upgraded my grill and got a pizza oven attachment for my Big Joe Kamado. It will hold 700 degrees pretty stable.

It’s not a pizza oven. But it works well. Probably better if I didn’t build pizza on pizza screens.

Reactions: begreen