Homemade Pizza

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We did 8 -14” pies on the Big Joe. I don’t have a pizza stone big enough so I used an 1/8” pizza steel. Ran between 700 and 800 dome temp. It was a lot of pizza. But once it’s up to temp why not keep on cooking. Had 3 lunches left over.

I wonder if the lidded method above would help me??

Didn’t cook as fast as I thought it might. 6 minutes. Great pizza though.

Did the poolish on Monday dough balls Tuesday pizza Wednesday. Restaurant dough boxes can fit inside my second fridge with a 5 gallon soda keg unhooked. Really good crust. Tad salty for my taste. But was too wet. Need to cut water back by 5%. Used recipe posted above times 12. Used cheap AP flour.

Pizza screens are not great for fast hot cooking I think. But my dough being too wet maybe had something to do with it. I’m not ditching the screens pies can sit for 30 on the screens before they cook and come out great. I’m going to try a pizza stone I guess. Probably will just get the big one made for the big Joe.

Sold on the crust. Not sold on poolish method yet. If I can make dough balls on Monday and let them sit and get close to same results that will be much easier.

68DF11B3-4BAA-4772-B0BD-B9B7B4DE9BE4.jpeg89299438-2C2A-479C-AB48-CCD26B9B6952.jpeg

Just made the 1 dough recipe. Poolish used and then Dough Ball did a 4 day cold ferment in the fridge. Very delicate but probably the best tasting dough i've ever made. The 4 days vs 1 or even 2 day cold ferment is the difference for me.

Last edited:
We did 8 -14” pies on the Big Joe. I don’t have a pizza stone big enough so I used an 1/8” pizza steel. Ran between 700 and 800 dome temp. It was a lot of pizza. But once it’s up to temp why not keep on cooking. Had 3 lunches left over.

I wonder if the lidded method above would help me??

Didn’t cook as fast as I thought it might. 6 minutes. Great pizza though.

Did the poolish on Monday dough balls Tuesday pizza Wednesday. Restaurant dough boxes can fit inside my second fridge with a 5 gallon soda keg unhooked. Really good crust. Tad salty for my taste. But was too wet. Need to cut water back by 5%. Used recipe posted above times 12. Used cheap AP flour.

Pizza screens are not great for fast hot cooking I think. But my dough being too wet maybe had something to do with it. I’m not ditching the screens pies can sit for 30 on the screens before they cook and come out great. I’m going to try a pizza stone I guess. Probably will just get the big one made for the big Joe.

Sold on the crust. Not sold on poolish method yet. If I can make dough balls on Monday and let them sit and get close to same results that will be much easier.
AP flour is why it was too wet. Yes try less water. Not sure how poolish is difficult? Don't think it could be any easier.
Get some Anna 00 flour and just make 1 or 2 balls just so you can see, feel, and taste the difference.

Also i would not opt for a stone, but rather a piece of steel or even lodge makes a cast iron flat pan.

Have u tried cooking directly on your 1/8 steel?

Last edited:
Here’s a cowboy cooking pizza. Beginning to think I need a BIG Dutch oven.

AP flour is why it was too wet. Yes try less water. Not sure how poolish is difficult? Don't think it could be any easier.
Get some Anna 00 flour and just make 1 or 2 balls just so you can see, feel, and taste the difference.

Also i would not opt for a stone, but rather a piece of steel or even lodge makes a cast iron flat pan.

Have u tried cooking directly on your 1/8 steel?
Im two 5# bags and a do Joe pizza cooker accessory later. Things I’ve learned.

I don’t have a good dough recipe yet. Making progress one one that takes a 5# sack.

The do Joe does a much better job at multiple pizzas. Best thicker crust pizzas I’ve ever made.

And the poolish is an extra step that I don’t need. Today I added the second portion of flour to it and it ended up lumpy. An extra large capacity mixer would be nice it won’t happen.

The one perfect napoleon pizza is possible my quantity vs quality balance at this point and for the foreseeable future leans towards quantity.

95CFDCAB-F2DF-4F9C-B6E0-9636A0426D43.jpeg

Cowboy Ken is a fun guy but definitely not the Pizza guy. That is more like cardboard casserole.
I'll stick with Vito as a 3rd generation Italian pizza guy for my pizza how to lessons.

Ebs - but that pizza you just made looks good.

Reactions: EbS-P
Cowboy Ken is a fun guy but definitely not the Pizza guy. That is more like cardboard casserole.
I'll stick with Vito as a 3rd generation Italian pizza guy for my pizza how to lessons.

Ebs - but that pizza you just made looks good.
Tasted good too!

788E5066-A938-49EF-BAC4-C2FADCBDA8EE.jpeg D89608F9-6D54-4FC4-B03A-787C722E6647.jpeg

I am still working with Anna's flour. The poolish is easy. The main variable is the dough after the 2+ day cold rise. Working on that. The last time it was too stick and I added flour, but then it got kind of tough to work with. I probably should have used a rolling pin at that point, but I am trying to learn the press and stretch technique.

I am still working with Anna's flour. The poolish is easy. The main variable is the dough after the 2+ day cold rise. Working on that. The last time it was too stick and I added flour, but then it got kind of tough to work with. I probably should have used a rolling pin at that point, but I am trying to learn the press and stretch technique.
Yeah pressing out takes practice. You can probably skip the stretching part. I do. Just pressing gets me to the right size pizza for whatever amount of dough i have.

Tonight’s run. Looks good. 24+ hour poolish then dough balls made and rested for another day or two. 5# of flour makes 9 370g balls. The smaller 5 got a knees yesterday just to see what that did.

Will make thick 12” or thin 14-16” pizzas. Cooked at 650 last time will push closer to 700 the max temp of the doJoe tonight. There is a big difference in heat output using regular lump and the XL lump premium charcoal. As charcoal this stuff feels as dense as my live oak.

Edit… I really like the dough boxes. I have two. I press out in the top one that acts as a lid. It contains the mess well.

27D309F5-D5CC-4ABC-97C7-049508D41A1D.jpeg

I use this 6” stainless walboard spackle knife. To handle the dough and get it out of boxes like yours or sheet pan.

D876D76B-2ED7-4BCA-903F-B4FDF82C8189.jpeg

Yeah pressing out takes practice. You can probably skip the stretching part. I do. Just pressing gets me to the right size pizza for whatever amount of dough i have.
Will try that, the last time it kept stretching back to the smaller size. I ended up with 12" pizzas.

Will try that, the last time it kept stretching back to the smaller size. I ended up with 12" pizzas.
That's usually when it has not fully warmed up after cold ferment. The Italians call it "nervous" dough.

The second and very light knead was good. I’d will repeat that the day before the cool next time. Bread flour made a chewier crust. Not as light as the AP. Makes sense.

My understanding 00 is the sifting size and related to protein content. Is that correct?

That's usually when it has not fully warmed up after cold ferment. The Italians call it "nervous" dough.
LOL, my dough was shaking in its boots, but I think I was the one that was nervous.

The second and very light knead was good. I’d will repeat that the day before the cool next time. Bread flour made a chewier crust. Not as light as the AP. Makes sense.

My understanding 00 is the sifting size and related to protein content. Is that correct?
This gives an idea, but if you read the comments it's not entirely correct and misses some points. And the pizza in their pic shows they are not making Neapolitan pizza. At least not a good one.

Made this pizza last night on my Pizza Cue. 5-6 minute cook time. King Arthur 00 flour with 26 hour rise and 4 hour proof. Dang tasty.

Evan; FYI: I had a kamado grill years back. Did ribs, pulled pork, pizzas etc. Still have a junior model. This was a website where I learned a bunch of stuff. Kamadoguru.com. Has sections for every different model, plus lots of recipes.

Pizza 1.jpg Pizza 2.jpg Pizza 3.jpg

Argh. Revisiting Vito's videos and I see he repeatedly makes a similar mistake over several different videos. When he calls out the amount of water he says milligrams instead of milliliters. Big difference! I think this is what has messed up my dough.
He does it here at 4:10.

Looks like I have to go back now and correct my 2 ball recipe.

Last edited:
Yeah never picked that up. He meant 400 grams. It was correct in the printed recipe.
400ml of water = 400grams of water

Last edited:
Again just do everything in grams. weigh everything - water, flour, salt, honey. Simple and no mistakes.

Question: After the 48 hr second fermentation, do you let the dough come up to room temp before making it into the pizza?

Question: After the 48 hr second fermentation, do you let the dough come up to room temp before making it into the pizza?
If it’s a wet dough I like to work it cooler not fridge temps but less than room temp. I like to work it room temp if I can as I think it stretches easier.

If it’s a wet dough I like to work it cooler not fridge temps but less than room temp. I like to work it room temp if I can as I think it stretches easier.
In the video, Vito took his wettest (1 week) dough ball and slapped it down into a mess of flour. Then he pressed it into rough shape and flipped over into the same pile of flour, dusting it with more flour. Unfortunately, he neglected to say how long it had been out of the refrigerator.

After a 2 day cold rise, I let the dough balls warm up for an hour, then proceeded to make the pizza using Vito's method of slapping them down in a pile of flour, then flipping it over. The dough was much more relaxed and easier to form into the pizza round. No tears this time. They cooked up better, but nothing as beautiful as Vito's or bigealta's. I still have to master the hot stone in the Ooni. It's hard to see what the backside of the pizza is doing and I need a smaller round turning peel. That said, these were my most successful pizzas to date. I will persist.

After a 2 day cold rise, I let the dough balls warm up for an hour, then proceeded to make the pizza using Vito's method of slapping them down in a pile of flour, then flipping it over. The dough was much more relaxed and easier to form into the pizza round. No tears this time. They cooked up better, but nothing as beautiful as Vito's or bigealta's. I still have to master the hot stone in the Ooni. It's hard to see what the backside of the pizza is doing and I need a smaller round turning peel. That said, these were my most successful pizzas to date. I will persist.
Nice, And yes let the dough warm up. An hour or 2 or even 3 if your kitchen is cold. Be careful with the slap, you want to keep all the air in the dough. Gentle i think at this point is the biggest thing to get that really nice airy puffy crust.
And even if they don't look perfect i bet they taste awsome.