Honda Rubicon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
Have my eye on a 2006 Honda Rubicon. My FIL has a 350 Rancher that has been damn near indestructible and extremely reliable, but I'm looking for something a little larger that fits me better. A little extra power would be nice too.

Anyone familiar with this model?

More power and pretty reliable model . . . only two drawbacks is that the Rubicon is considered by some folks to be more of a work machine than a trail rider . . . it doesn't have the indepedent rear suspension which is nice for long trail rides. My own take . . . I have a buddy in the County who has put on something like 14,000 miles on his Rubicon with the only thing he has done to it being a few bearings and other assorted normal wear parts. If looking for something with a little more power for work this or the Foreman would be good candidates if you are looking at keeping it in the Honda line up.

I'm after a work machine first, trail rider second. Sounds like this is would be a good candidate.

If the price was right and the machine had low miles/hours and didn't look abused . . . and I was looking for a machine for work . . . I would go for it.

firefighterjake said:
If the price was right and the machine had low miles/hours and didn't look abused . . . and I was looking for a machine for work . . . I would go for it.

It has 67 hours and 350 miles. Looks a little dirty but in otherwise good condition.

GRAB IT!!!!! That machine is practically brand new . . . if the price is right and you cannot see any sign of abuse this could be a wicked good deal.

I knew a gal who ended up picking up a steal on an older Rincon which is a good trail rider . . . bought it from a guy who bought it originally to hunt . . . had something like 300 miles on it and it looked mint . . . there are folks out there who end up buying toys like this and either never have the time or don't use it for much other than puttering around the family land.

Without biasing you with the asking price, what do you think would be fair?

Just picked it up. Going to be a handy thing to have around when it comes to wood hauling. Might even get some play time with it too.

From what I read the only downside to this one (over similar models) was the swing-arm rear axle...as opposed to the independent rear suspension. My dad has a Sportsman 500 with IRS and it felt kinda tippy and loose by comparison. I guess it boils down to what you are used to, but I actually enjoy the firmer ride....feels more stable.

If it holds up as well as my FIL's Rancher, I'll be pleased.

lukem said:
Just picked it up. Going to be a handy thing to have around when it comes to wood hauling. Might even get some play time with it too.

From what I read the only downside to this one (over similar models) was the swing-arm rear axle...as opposed to the independent rear suspension. My dad has a Sportsman 500 with IRS and it felt kinda tippy and loose by comparison. I guess it boils down to what you are used to, but I actually enjoy the firmer ride....feels more stable.

Got to post a Pic of this?

smokinjay said:
lukem said:

Got to post a Pic of this?

It is still in the truck, so I can't get good ones. I'll take some this weekend and post them up.

Here it is:

Attachments

• 2011-10-21_17-14-26_171.jpg
    2011-10-21_17-14-26_171.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 478
Looks brand spankin new....nice ride.

Looks sharp . . . I honestly do not think you could go wrong with this purchase with so few miles. I've been out sick for several days so I didn't get back to you with a price -- plus I'm not really sure what they are going for . . . a quick check of Craigslist and Uncle Henrys here in Maine didn't show me any Rubicons for sale.

Incidentally, whether you know it or not you have after-market ITP rims and it looks like ITP Mudlite tires . . . the rims are nice for the bling (and lack of rust from the OEM steel), but the real deal are those ITP Mudlites which offer more plys for better puncture protection which is especially nice when working in the woods. I have a similar set of rims and tires on my Foreman . . . turned the ATV into more of a tractor . . . which you notice when riding slowly.

You are right on the rims and tires. It also came with a set of OEM rims and tires that were basically unused. The OEM rims are aluminium as well. I put the stock set on and the ride quality is way better, so I think I'm going to keep them on there. Will try to sell the set of ITPs to recoup some of the $$.

Overall it appears to be a great machine. I like the Hondamatic transmission, power is adequate. It ain't fast, but it doesn't need to be. Rode the sportsman again over the weekend and I still like the low center of gravity and firmer ride of the Honda over the Polaris machine.

The previous owner also had the front and rear racks powder coated, and there is a rear rack seat/saddlebag thing too, which I find handy.

In the process of changing all the fluids (engine/trans and front and rear differential) to get a fresh start, although they are probably OK as-is. Fresh fluids are cheap insurance in my book. Other than that, it needs nothing.

lukem said:
You are right on the rims and tires. It also came with a set of OEM rims and tires that were basically unused. The OEM rims are aluminium as well. I put the stock set on and the ride quality is way better, so I think I'm going to keep them on there. Will try to sell the set of ITPs to recoup some of the $$. I hear ya . . . but I might suggest holding off on the sale . . . stock tires do not have many plys . . . my buddy and I went through a few tires (well we actually were going through tire plugs) with the stock tires until we switched over to some extra ply tires.

Overall it appears to be a great machine. I like the Hondamatic transmission, power is adequate. It ain't fast, but it doesn't need to be. Rode the sportsman again over the weekend and I still like the low center of gravity and firmer ride of the Honda over the Polaris machine. I agree . . . the ride and power may not be as much as many brands . . . but the lower center of gravity is quite nice . . . the Polaris Sportsman always had a sweet ride, but I felt as if I was sitting way up in the air and not down low.

The previous owner also had the front and rear racks powder coated, and there is a rear rack seat/saddlebag thing too, which I find handy. The more I hear, the more I like the deal . . . and this is even without knowing the price . . . it sounds like you had a bunch of extras added . . . and those low miles/hours . . . unbelievable . . . this is the type of deal I hope to run across when I get ready to replace my Foreman.

In the process of changing all the fluids (engine/trans and front and rear differential) to get a fresh start, although they are probably OK as-is. Fresh fluids are cheap insurance in my book. Other than that, it needs nothing.

Good point on the tire ply, but I've been riding a Rancher with stock tires around here for years (my FIL's) and never punctured one....and I'll be riding the Ruby in the same exact areas. Out here in the flat-lander-mid-west we don't have the same sharp rocks and whatnot you have in NE.

The price was a couple hundred less than the NADA and KBB values for a machine with "average" miles...and this one is well below average, so I feel like I didn't over-payed. When you factor in the extra set of aftermarket rims and tires, dealer installed Warn winch, back rack thingy, powder coated racks, ball hitch, extra oil filter, and ATV cover that were part of the deal...it sweetened the pot that much more.

lukem said:
Good point on the tire ply, but I've been riding a Rancher with stock tires around here for years (my FIL's) and never punctured one....and I'll be riding the Ruby in the same exact areas. Out here in the flat-lander-mid-west we don't have the same sharp rocks and whatnot you have in NE.

The price was a couple hundred less than the NADA and KBB values for a machine with "average" miles...and this one is well below average, so I feel like I didn't over-payed. When you factor in the extra set of aftermarket rims and tires, dealer installed Warn winch, back rack thingy, powder coated racks, ball hitch, extra oil filter, and ATV cover that were part of the deal...it sweetened the pot that much more.

Wait a minute . . . below value and now you mention a Warn winch even . . . ohhhhhhhhh . . . THIEF . . . THIEF . . . THIEF. ;) :) Good deal . . . really . . . honestly . . . you got a very, very good deal.

If they are Mud Lite radials, those are good tires. I'm going with radials myself. Smoother ride, better traction.

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpg  Polaris Sportsman.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg Polaris Sportsman.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 211
Case75XT said:
If they are Mud Lite radials, those are good tires. I'm going with radials myself. Smoother ride, better traction.

Pretty cool picture but I have to wonder why you are carrying your quad around with the skid steer. Is it just because you can?

lukem said:
Case75XT said:

Pretty cool picture but I have to wonder why you are carrying your quad around with the skid steer. Is it just because you can?

To keep it out of the mud and dirt? ;) :)

LOL. Makes it easier on my back to raise it up while working on it. Had to drop the float bowl on this one. Sucked up some debris into the jet(today's fuel and the lack of use).
Did you decide to hold on to the wheels and tires? They look great on your new machine!

Case75XT said:
Did you decide to hold on to the wheels and tires? They look great on your new machine!

I ended up getting rid of them. The stock wkeels are aluminum and pretty nice and the aftermarket tires weren't the best for the hard ground i usually ride on...so i'm back to 100% stock now. I'm going to use the proceeds for a plow or something...

They did look nice but that's not what i need the most right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.