How do you bring in firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I just set one bag down between my feet to open and then close the door. I guess it slows me down an extra few seconds per load, but it’s not much extra work, and my back appreciates the balanced load.

Another thing I like about the bags vs sling is that I can set the bags down and the whole thing just stays upright. In fact I keep two bags stacked in my utility room for "emergencies" ie; I don't feel like refilling the racks right away but need room temp wood.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I just keep two loads in the stove room. I need to invest in a couple of these bags. I keep a pallet load on front covered porch but this seems like a cleaner way to transport from there to the stove room than by hand....which is how i have always done it. Bark chips always end up on carpet this way no matter what you do. Im sure the wife would appreciate this. Ive already got some criticism this winter and it isnt close to being over.

This was my method yesterday. Then throwing through the window in the basement. I have used my 4 wheeler in the past but I think this is a better option. How do you bring in your firewood?
It's your life, but just know that getting out of that cab with the arms elevated over your head is a good way to get killed. It's happened around here more than once recently

So my stacks are within 50' of the garage door and on pavement so I use this nifty retired ice cream cart. It originally had the back and bottom with one side left open so I welded up a second side out of some old fence top rail and screwed it together. Works like a champ.

Attachments

• 20191227_182515.jpg
    20191227_182515.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 226
it slows me down an extra few seconds per load
That's three precious seconds you could have vaporized on internet forums! ==c
Another thing I like about the bags vs sling is that I can set the bags down and the whole thing just stays upright. In fact I keep two bags stacked in my utility room for "emergencies" ie; I don't feel like refilling the racks right away but need room temp wood.
That's handy, although I'm not sure how much difference having the wood at room temp makes..
seems like a cleaner way to transport from there to the stove room than by hand....which is how i have always done it. Bark chips always end up on carpet this way no matter what you do. Im sure the wife would appreciate this. Ive already got some criticism this winter and it isnt close to being over.
Yeah, by hand is the worst; Like the trail crumbs left by Hansel and Gretel, except you have no birds in the house to pick them up. Maybe you can take the bird screen off your chimney cap. ==c

Reactions: Grizzerbear
It's your life, but just know that getting out of that cab with the arms elevated over your head is a good way to get killed. It's happened around here more than once recently.
Happened to me fourteen months ago. When you see how fast a loader can come crashing down with a ruptured hydraulic hose, you will never walk or stand under one, again!

I really want a hydro top link, and a fasse valve, but it will have to wait. Do you find the rear forks more useful than having them on the front? I mainly want the hydro top link for my grading blade.
As noted above, 3 pt will lift much, much more. For me using forks on the rear with the hydraulic top link is a no brainer because I can put them on whatever tractor happens to be free at the moment and it also doesn't tie up the loader tractor.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Happened to me fourteen months ago. When you see how fast a loader can come crashing down with a ruptured hydraulic hose, you will never walk or stand under one, again!
Scary.

A man in this area killed his son while attempting to put a new door on his skid loader. Imagine living with that....

Always want to give yourself the best chance possible.

Last edited:
A738CA74-CB88-42D7-908B-9E7A7195773B.pngThis works great

Reactions: SpaceBus
We have an old, on it's last leg, modified boat trailer. Loads are parked just outside the window nearest the wood burner. I just open the window and stack it inside.
We're looking into another comparable option--it's in bad shape.

Attachments

• IMG_20191230_080946.jpg
    IMG_20191230_080946.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 193
Made a road of sorts so I can put about 3 cords under my deck beside the basement door, then bring in a wheelbarrow load or two at a time to warm up before being burned.

This... ;lol

I bought 2 plastic sleds at clearance price from local Menards, laced them together for strength.

Attachments

• woodsled.JPG
    woodsled.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 215
Reactions: Ashful
Wood from the stacks to the woodshed: ATV with cart or wheelbarrow.

Wood from the woodshed to the porch: Wheelbarrow when there is no snow and then a canvas sling bag from LL Bean which has held up remarkably wel.

Wood from the porch to the woodbox: Canvas sling bag.

Wood from the stacks to the woodshed: ATV with cart or wheelbarrow.

Wood from the woodshed to the porch: Wheelbarrow when there is no snow and then a canvas sling bag from LL Bean which has held up remarkably wel.

Wood from the porch to the woodbox: Canvas sling bag.
This is pretty identical to what I’m doing.

I bought 2 plastic sleds at clearance price from local Menards, laced them together for strength.
I used to use a sled like that but switched to one of the larger ones that ice fishermen use. Holds twice the wood with much less effort to load (no need to stack it carefully and strap it down). Best $45 I spent.

Like this:

Attachments

• firewood sled.jpeg
    firewood sled.jpeg
    15.2 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: thisoldgoat
Used to use a 2wheel Gardenway gardencart.. (Didn't really fit & banged the door frame up something awful with 1" of axle that stuck out both sides )
Now just a Wheelbarrow & up a plank/ramp on the 3 porch steps...
Thru the front door into the livingroom ...
Stacked 5ft from the stove ..
3 trips to fill the rack..
When it snows ? Just carried in by the Arm load

Last edited:
This was my method yesterday. Then throwing through the window in the basement. I have used my 4 wheeler in the past but I think this is a better option. How do you bring in your firewood?
That photo gives me the chills. I hope you didn't get out of that skidloader with the bucket in the air. Every year around here someone is killed by getting trapped between the bucket and the machine. Sometimes it's because the operator's clothing or foot catches the hydraulic lever/control. Yes I know there are safety mechanisms to help prevent it but they can and will fail. Hydraulic valves and hoses have been known to fail also with catastrophic results.

Stay safe.

That photo gives me the chills. I hope you didn't get out of that skidloader with the bucket in the air. Every year around here someone is killed by getting trapped between the bucket and the machine. Sometimes it's because the operator's clothing or foot catches the hydraulic lever/control. Yes I know there are safety mechanisms to help prevent it but they can and will fail. Hydraulic valves and hoses have been known to fail also with catastrophic results.
My friends dad died that way
Stay safe.

How do I bring in wood...???
"Hey...before any of you get on any technology, we need wood. Thanks."
Funny thing...the wifey does it the same way.

Reactions: ispinwool
My firewood shed is about 50 feet from the door and I prefer not to stack any in the house. I'm outside all the time anyway with the dogs so I just bring in a few pieces at a time. If I need more, I've been using this tote from LL Bean's for years.

229149_2107_41.jpg