How do you bring in firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
5 gallon buckets, but considering getting a sling. If the buckets get muddy from setting down on the dirt, they're easy to wipe clean.

5 gallon buckets, but considering getting a sling. If the buckets get muddy from setting down on the dirt, they're easy to wipe clean.
That's a good idea, I've been using one of those LL bean bags but the bucket may be easier to carry.

If you need to carry wood inside this log tote from Lehman's is great. https://www.lehmans.com/product/closed-end-log-totes-large/
I bought it over 10+ years ago when I started wood burning and it's still going strong. Very durable. It shows almost no signs of wear. Large capacity and material is thick enough so that it stays open when loading. The closed ends keep small wood debris from falling out.
I have a sling too. It's better because with a sling you can't set down and pick up again with one hand.

I’d think buckets would be tough to fill, given they’re not very forgiving. Totes just conform to the shape of whatever you put in them.

I have a low stone wall adjacent to my storage, where I lay out my totes for filling. But if I didn’t, I‘d probably just build or repurpose a picnic table for that use.

56E627D6-3AA9-4503-843E-1EAEDEADD01C.jpeg

Reactions: Buzzsawboy
I’d think buckets would be tough to fill, given they’re not very forgiving. Totes just conform to the shape of whatever you put in them.

I have a low stone wall adjacent to my storage, where I lay out my totes for filling. But if I didn’t, I‘d probably just build or repurpose a picnic table for that use.

I agree, and that's why I'm thinking of moving to totes. Just a couple of large splits can fill a rigid shaped 5 gallon bucket and then you're left trying to squeeze small splits into the remaining space.

My only hesitation about totes is that I imagine you have to set the tote on the ground to fill it, which gets it dirty, and then you have to set the tote down on the carpet/hearth inside the house where it can get things dirty. I usually fill one bucket while holding it off the ground, place it on some clean cement, then fill the second bucket.

I guess I should just try it myself. $14 isn't much to gamble.
(tote on Amazon)

Edit: just ordered a MossyOak tote for only $10

(I just re-read @Ashful comment, and yes, a small table or platform would solve my worry.)

Last edited:
I agree, and that's why I'm thinking of moving to totes. Just a couple of large splits can fill a rigid shaped 5 gallon bucket and then you're left trying to squeeze small splits into the remaining space.

My only hesitation about totes is that I imagine you have to set the tote on the ground to fill it, which gets it dirty, and then you have to set the tote down on the carpet/hearth inside the house where it can get things dirty. I usually fill one bucket while holding it off the ground, place it on some clean cement, then fill the second bucket.

I guess I should just try it myself. $14 isn't much to gamble.
(tote on Amazon)

Edit: just ordered a MossyOak tote for only $10

(I just re-read @Ashful comment, and yes, a small table or platform would solve my worry.)
I will often hang one handle of my tote from a longer split in the stack and hold the other handle while I fill the tote. I’m only working with one tote so I don’t have the problem of finding a clean spot on the floor. I keep about a face cord in the garage so I also don’t have to set anything down on the ground.

milk crates

We have a plastic shed (originally held garbage barrels) by the back door on the patio for pine splits and a wood shed (oversized dog house) for hardwood splits next to that. Both sheds disappear for the Summer. and a table and chairs take their place.
Usually have two milk crates of pine and two milk crates of hardwood by the stove. There's about a week's worth of wood in the sheds by the door that I'll refill as needed and as the weather allows. They get filled by tractor bucket or wheel barrow. Each shed will take three trips with a wheel barrow to the stacks .

Reactions: ispinwool
A lot of envious setups here!

This is my current preferred method. On a day what I definitely pushed the trailers limits with red oak. I also have a 35 horse diesel compact tractor but it's usually too swampy in my wood lots to take that in

Attachments

• IMG-20190902-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20190902-WA0011.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: ispinwool
Working on my install currently. I'm going to be a first time wood burner and I'm trying to do a nice ergonomicall design. My wall that my fireplace is in butts up to my garage. I ordered a fire rated access door that will open up into the bottom of a base cabinet beside my fireplace. No carrying wood through the house. I'll take more pictures once everything is done and installed in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• 20200117_154630.jpg
    20200117_154630.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 20200117_154641.jpg
    20200117_154641.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 20200117_111652.jpg
    20200117_111652.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 159
Working on my install currently. I'm going to be a first time wood burner and I'm trying to do a nice ergonomicall design. My wall that my fireplace is in butts up to my garage. I ordered a fire rated access door that will open up into the bottom of a base cabinet beside my fireplace. No carrying wood through the house. I'll take more pictures once everything is done and installed in the next few weeks.
Fireplace pic?

Fireplace pic?
It's a work in progress. My base cabinets shipt out yesterday, I built the book cases for on top. The left base cabinet will be wood storage and the right base cabinet will have out media like dvd players and such. I reworked the brick and narrowed it up a foot on each side, added the barn beam mantle and drywall work above. The brick is getting stacked stone in front of it after my new insert (Lopi Medium Flush Hybrid Fyre) installed next month. Everything should be done February 12th. The bottom pic is out inspiration photo of what it will look very close to.

Attachments

• 20191228_014359.jpg
    20191228_014359.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 167
  • 20191225_233947.jpg
    20191225_233947.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 170
  • Screenshot_20191210-194955_Pinterest.jpg
    Screenshot_20191210-194955_Pinterest.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 162
It's a work in progress. My base cabinets shipt out yesterday, I built the book cases for on top. The left base cabinet will be wood storage and the right base cabinet will have out media like dvd players and such. I reworked the brick and narrowed it up a foot on each side, added the barn beam mantle and drywall work above. The brick is getting stacked stone in front of it after my new insert (Lopi Medium Flush Hybrid Fyre) installed next month. Everything should be done February 12th. The bottom pic is out inspiration photo of what it will look very close to.
Very nice. We considered something similar but my boss also said no to wood in main living area.
SO a man cave it was. Blaze king king in basement

Attachments

• D2DEBBED-DEF5-415C-BD1B-FEE6584FFE41.jpeg
    D2DEBBED-DEF5-415C-BD1B-FEE6584FFE41.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 160
My first load of oak. 9f tonight. Burning it in. Dang it burns good. Cant wait until next year when I have lots of dry oak.

Attachments

• 08690FDD-E8E3-4B11-BFB5-338F816FEB93.jpeg
    08690FDD-E8E3-4B11-BFB5-338F816FEB93.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 139
That’s a very nice way to go, for an ambiance burner, but it’s going to be slow and tedious if you’re burning in the scale of a full-time heater. It’s much quicker to haul three loads per day right to the stove in a pair of satchels, but this system could work great if only doing it a few times per week.

I hear so many new burners post concerns about dirt from wood hauling thru the house, but it’s really a non-issue for me. My wood is hauled in totes, no dirt escapes. The few crumbs that end up on the hearth when loading are swept up with a dust pan and brush I keep next to each stove, and tossed into the stove. No fuss, no muss.

Wheelbarrow from stacks and dump into basement bulkhead. Stack into basement against wall roughly a cord a few feet from furnace. Once snow is forecast bring in additional cord in basement and stack 1/2 cord into bulkhead. Having dry fuel at hand regardless of outside conditions is priceless. Depending on how cold the weather is this will provide about 1/2 the seasons fuel.

I know some of you guys live in places that are often much colder than our record lows, we only see zero dF a few evenings per year, but I still like going out to the porch to grab my firewood. In addition to keeping all the bugs outdoors, it gives me a chance to look at the sky and feel the weather before each load. I don’t smoke, so what other incentive do I have to go out and look up at the stars on a clear and cold Tuesday night around 11pm?

Reactions: Grizzerbear
My stack is top covered on a concrete wall in the driveway. When I know I am going to have a fire I grab my kids red plastic wagon and load it up them pull it into the garage. The garage stays about 50 degrees and this is much better than opening and closing an outside door when I need to grab some wood.

I use a DR PowerWagon to bring splits onto my screened porch. I built a ramp to let me drive up three steps onto the porch. Then I use a canvas tote to bring in ~5 days of wood into my indoor rack which sits by the stove so we can reload without going back outside.

man it looks like you've got some big rounds in there that aren't split - are those actually dry enough to burn?

I use the occasional big round like that as well, but i'll stick it next to my stove for 3-4 days so the ends actually read 0% on the moisture meter. Is it all perfectly dry? Probably not but when i use them for overnight burns they are gone in the morning, so they are burning just fine.