How do you teach a woman how to plow snow?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that when you get back to plowing, Mrs. Savage is going to be telling you how you're doing it wrong. It would be almost worth lettin the snow pile up to avoid that problem.

Backwoods Savage said:
LLigetfa said:
I can't get my wife to stop using the choke to kill the engine. When I try to correct her, she just wants to choke me too. My yard tractor has a hydro with a clutch/brake and she wants to drive it like a standard. She wants me to show her how to run the snow thrower.

Ah, no choke on this machine! Nice!
What kind of plow is this with out a choke?

yooperdave said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Well, she can't walk straight Jay, but I did get her to stop chewing gum while walking...

holy man dennis! what the heck are you going to do when mrs. ornery reads this thread??? you probably won't make it to surgery...
well... to or through? Mrs. BWS might bring her own indelible ink pen to sign the DNR.

Good luck. If I let the women I know run anything like the plow there would be corners of the house and garage missing in no time. Hell sometimes I thing just driving a car is a challenge for them.

i think the plow ought to be the easy part. its the cleaning up afterwards i find the most challenging to get through. putting tools away wipping them off etc. one of these days after a project is done i hope to not have to go on a scavenger hunt for all of them.

on a side note, 10 in of heavy wet snow last night. all by hand, no plow, no snow thrower. i am just sooo jealous. on my way out this morning neighbor made a somewhat snide comment about helping to clear our private road, "we all have to go to work" from a guy using a snow blower. I am not sure if any of them even went to work yesterday, who kows about today. i leave before them and get home after them. i wish i had a flexible workplace that i could have stuck around to help and but i dont. besides i am at the end of the road. im not hand shoveling a quarter mile. one guy has a plow, all the others have snow blowers. that would be like me showing up to smokin jays cutting party with a hoop saw.

I'd be picking stone out of the yard for years!!

Hey, guys! Don't be too rough on us women! ;) In my case, I HAD to learn how to run/maintain our riding mower myself; how to plow snow myself; how to repair a mis-aligned sump pump myself; determine where a roof leak was/how to get it repaired myself; etc., etc., when hubby suddenly got ill. While I might not be doing things 'exactly' like he did those projects are getting done and in the process I am learning a lot. My current issue is/was determining why the rider with snowblower attachment wouldn't start - it wasn't 'choking' - I have to fiddle with the cable/housing sometime this week.

It's not all a bad thing to teach your wife how to do things - you just never know when she might HAVE to do them in an emergency or on a long term basis.

To answer the thread question, VERY CAREFULLY! :lol: But, I want to add to be careful Dennis she may put you out of a job! ;-)

Uper said:
To answer the thread question, VERY CAREFULLY! :lol: But, I want to add to be careful Dennis she may put you out of a job! ;-)

LOL Never thought of that...She going to take that quad over!

gzecc said:
Backwoods Savage said:
LLigetfa said:
I can't get my wife to stop using the choke to kill the engine. When I try to correct her, she just wants to choke me too. My yard tractor has a hydro with a clutch/brake and she wants to drive it like a standard. She wants me to show her how to run the snow thrower.

Ah, no choke on this machine! Nice!
What kind of plow is this with out a choke?

No choke on the atv. Fuel injected.

Shari, we can be rough on the ladies....but it is just in fun. I still respect women the same as men. I do like the difference in the plumbing though.

Backwoods Savage said:
Shari, we can be rough on the ladies....but it is just in fun. I still respect women the same as men. I do like the difference in the plumbing though.

hahaha, id agree. except ill keep mine easier to take a leak in the woods.

Now, to keep this a 'clean' conversation, let's talk about plumbing issues I've dealt with: The doo hickey that is connected to the handle on the toilet pulled out of the rubber thingy that stoppers up the water inside the tank on the toilet. I finally found the correct doo hickey at the hardware store, improvised a connection wire (retrofitting on a 1950's toilet is no fun) and now when we flush it actually flushes! :)

memo to self: Find someone in the hardware store who knows and understands when I call a plumbing part a 'doo hickey'. :)

Shari said:
Hey, guys! Don't be too rough on us women! ;) In my case, I HAD to learn how to run/maintain our riding mower myself; how to plow snow myself; how to repair a mis-aligned sump pump myself; determine where a roof leak was/how to get it repaired myself; etc., etc., when hubby suddenly got ill. While I might not be doing things 'exactly' like he did those projects are getting done and in the process I am learning a lot. My current issue is/was determining why the rider with snowblower attachment wouldn't start - it wasn't 'choking' - I have to fiddle with the cable/housing sometime this week.

It's not all a bad thing to teach your wife how to do things - you just never know when she might HAVE to do them in an emergency or on a long term basis.

You are one cool, can-do lady Shari . . . your husband is a lucky guy . . . and I suspect you know that he knows that already! You go girl!!!

Shari said:
memo to self: Find someone in the hardware store who knows and understands when I call a plumbing part a 'doo hickey'. :)

My wife can give you some ideas. i send her out to get pieces all the time. i use the proper name, but thats gets lost on the way. she has drawn pictures for the guy at the store.
so far only came home with the wrong parts twice, and once was my own fault, so shes doing alright.

It's funny Dennis, my wife and I were just discussing how she could plow our woods road/driveway if I wasn't able. She refuses to drive the Allis Chalmers, to big, no brakes and worst of all, no heated cab. Maybe a new toy in the works for summer. Looking at a Kubota, around 50 hps. 4wheel drive, heated cab. A good husband always tries to keep his wife happy, right. Course now we have to find the$$. Good luck with the surgery. Be safe.
Ed

varna said:
Backwoods Savage said:
So, has anyone else tried to teach their wife to plow snow?

Down here we would just hitch her up to the mule and be good to go.....the mule knows what to do! :cheese:

give her a shovel not a plow.

i would never let mine snow blow the driveway!

Some funny posts here. I think my wife will do okay and if we don't get any more snow than we've got so far this winter there will be no problem.

I like Shari's ‘doo hickey’ talk. I was informed that is a first cousin to a thing-a-ma-bob. It is also sort of related to a whatchmacallit. My wife was a bit concerned though when she saw the switch to the winch and it has "In" and "Out" on the switch. That caused a bit of discussion.

I started training Mrs. Flatbedford early.
DSC06114.jpg

She does OK, lust doesn't have the same enthusiasm for it that I do.

Attachments

• 1226101659.jpg
    1226101659.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 218
colebrookman said:
It's funny Dennis, my wife and I were just discussing how she could plow our woods road/driveway if I wasn't able. She refuses to drive the Allis Chalmers, to big, no brakes and worst of all, no heated cab. Maybe a new toy in the works for summer. Looking at a Kubota, around 50 hps. 4wheel drive, heated cab. A good husband always tries to keep his wife happy, right. Course now we have to find the$$. Good luck with the surgery. Be safe.
Ed

I love tractors, especially old ones. My dad just got a Farmall Cub, I want to say 1946, maybe? over the summer to tinker with and my uncle has a huge John Deere collection. The L is my favorite, and I am just in awe of them when I visit his place. I can't blame your wife for not wanting to drive the Allis if it doesn't have brakes!

My wife does it perfectly!
Why, just this morning.....she allowed our little dog to come wake me up by licking my face.
She then said "I fed her, but she could not get out to pee"....of course, because snow was piled up deep outside!

So, I got out of bed, she got back in....and I spent 3/4 of an hour cleaning everything and making sure the dog pooped and peed.

Then she woke up and said "really? You did all that?"......

See, she knows perfectly well how to do it.

If I was not around, she would grab the builder 2 doors down who likes her and has a truck with a plow. If he wasn't there, she'd get the guy with the tractor across the street....

Easy. This is why women are taking over the world....it's that "communication and get along with others" thing!

Webmaster said:
My wife does it perfectly!
Why, just this morning.....she allowed our little dog to come wake me up by licking my face.
She then said "I fed her, but she could not get out to pee"....of course, because snow was piled up deep outside!

So, I got out of bed, she got back in....and I spent 3/4 of an hour cleaning everything and making sure the dog pooped and peed.

Then she woke up and said "really? You did all that?"......

See, she knows perfectly well how to do it.

If I was not around, she would grab the builder 2 doors down who likes her and has a truck with a plow. If he wasn't there, she'd get the guy with the tractor across the street....

Easy. This is why women are taking over the world....it's that "communication and get along with others" thing!
Ya but that's what keeps us in "perfect husband" status. All that work to keep them happy and content. Be safe.
Ed

smokinjay said:
Cate said:
smokinjay said:
szmaine said:
:gulp:
smokinjay said:
Nothing worse than a circle jerk!

being me, I just had to look up what that meant- read some stuff I didn't really need to know - THANKS ALOT!! :gulp:

lol In the context of mowing............. ;-)

Thanks for clearing that up...I was kinda wondering too. And I know you guys like to make fun of women, and that's ok as long as it doesn't get too mean, but I have to tell you - when I put my insert in last spring, I told the bro-in-law, the city boy - not to slam city folk, but I told him during the summer I was going to fill it with ice and use it as an air conditioner.

He believed me.

Dear Lord. I am rarely rendered speechless, but that one got me.

lol My Gf

are you dating backwoods savage???

cant tell from the positon of the picture (sitting to split)

Status
Not open for further replies.