How much wood is this? aka You're probably smarter than me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saskwoodburner

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Saskatchewan, Canada
Just did some measurements in the wood shed to take inventory. It appears there's a row 8 ft x 7 ft high, 2 rows 8 ft x 4 feet high, and one row on the side that's 5 1/2 ft x 7 feet high. Lack of smarts, or lack of coffee won't tell me how I get these 16" rows turned into a cubic foot/ cord measurement.....

210 cubic feet, 1.64-ish cord??? Should I go smoke another??

Last edited:
About 210 cu ft. PS there's a cord calculator link somewhere on this site that can do it for you if you need next time.

Reactions: Longstreet
Dont feel to bad. I had a hard time figuring it out myself for some reason. It annoyed the cr_p out of me. Now I use the cord calculators like jatoxico said. They can be rather fun. For example with the way I load my short box truck I know it works out to be .4 of a cord.

Yeah, I don't know why I get brain fade like that? Oh well, I'll have to find it (brain or calculator!) before I fill the shed this year.

What I like to do is calculate square feet of face wood. (8*7) + 2(8*4) + (5.5*7) = 158 square feet of wood on the face.
Times this by the depth, in feet. 16/12 = 1.33333 so the total is 210 cubic feet.
Divide by 128 (cubic feet in a cord) 210/128 = 1.6 cords.

I hope this helps. I love helping with numbers, so don't be afraid to ask again. Always remember to keep your unit the same. All feet, all inches, it doesn't mater as long as you are consistent.

Reactions: saskwoodburner
When I have lengths that are odd, or am estimating lengths with uneven cuts, I do the calculation in inches, then divide by 1728 (converts cubic inches to cubic feet by basically dividing by 12, 3 times). I came up with 1.65 cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.