How much wood? (Pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
How much wood do you think is in this pile? It'll grow some more this week. We just added 2+ cord today. Probably another 5 cord to split plus another 5 to bring home. We have been trying to get ahead for about 8 years, I think this might be the year we finally do it. I originally wanted to get 100 years ahead, but I don't know if the wood will last that long. Might have to settle for 40 or 50 years worth.
20200824_182624.jpg20200824_182648.jpg20200824_182719.jpg

Hard to say. 4-5 cords?

If you can measure the dimension of this pile, more accurate estimates will be made.

Last edited:
If you can stack the wood very accurate measurements can be made. No guesstimating, no thinking.

It will also dry much better.

From personal experience I know that piled wood is deceiving in quantity. My pile estimates are usually over inflated by 30 to 40 percent.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Small changes in the way it's stacked, square round sloped, makes a big difference in the total.
3 CORD /_\

6 CORD (_)

8 CORD |_|

Only good way is to square it up.
There is such a thing as the "angle of repose", used in figuring stockpile quantities. Wood chips, and any number of other stuff can be figured. I didn't see cordwood in the selections list.

Last edited:
I'm guessing 10-15 cord in this pile. It's probably 30 ft long, 7+ ft high, and 14+ft wide at the base.

I will get actual measurements tomorrow, but this should be a pretty good ballpark.

I have another pile with 3-4 cord in it and another 2+ left to split. That should come out close to 20 cord. I still have 5+ cord to bring home.

10+ cords there.