How to use this wood shed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelvin 506

Aug 20, 2014
MA
I tool these pictures back in March. When looking at the Wood/Work shed the conventional door goes to the right side where all the tools are. There's also a wood stove in there. I'll have to get a picture of that sometime. The louvered door on the left (with the curved top) is the wood shed side. It's cement floored, the walls are fully sheathed and sided, no ventilation. Some people have recommended not bothering using it. I went to measure it and all of the measurements are written on the walls already! It holds 3 cords. If I leave the door open and put a screen door system on the front or even just leave the door open I am wondering if it would do any good seasoning wood. As we just got the stove and don't have hardly any wood I was considering paying for the kiln dried stuff and I could just store it in there. In the future however I'm wondering if unseasoned would will dry in there if there's only the door open. The place gets quite warm in the summer and gets straight sunlight.

Thanks

woodshed.jpg woodshed2.jpg

It depends on what your heating needs / wishes are.

For full time heat, 3 cord of storage isn't going to cover the winter let alone get you ready for next year. Many varieties of wood need at least a year cut, split, and stacked to be ready for the stove, and that is with good air flow.......This building doesn't have that.

No way I'd be putting fresh cut rounds in there with the expectation of them being ready to burn in the same year.

I'd say if you are a full time burner, 4 cords isn't out of the realm for your region, so if you want to utilize this space for a current year's burning, then wood needs to be drying elsewhere then moved to here.

best of luck,

pen

I wouldnt try to season wet splits in there. I think you should season elsewhere and move the wood in there once relatively dry

Unless you can add ventilation, in the form of a large fan pulling air through it (not pushing). Then, what's easier, paying the electricity, or moving the wood twice...

I have stacked the wood on the south facing side of the house. It's getting quite good heat from the sun and has a brown tarp on the top slightly over hanging the sides. I can think of many uses for the "wood shed" that don't entail holding wood.

I would guess its not going to season really well if at all in there. If it was oriented to the prevailing winds and open on both ends MAYBE. It does however ever look like a great storage place for already dry wood!

Looks like the makings of a man cave to me. Insulate the thing and put in a TV and recliner. Leave the wood outside.

Reactions: pen
Looks like the makings of a man cave to me. Insulate the thing and put in a TV and recliner. Leave the wood outside.
haha! true that. wood doesn't exactly need to stay warm. Did I mention it has a wood stove in there? Not sure if you can see the chimney that goes up the back of it. I may have my auxiliary hotspot out there. Didn't really consider a tv but why not?

I may just stack some wood up front and have a u -turn access away around it so it look full. Of course, I'd have to keep the volume down the the tube or I'd be busted.

Reactions: pen
Moderator fossil's woodshed. The Taj Mahlog.

shedinside3-jpg.9065

Reactions: tfdchief
OK, I'm doing that this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.